C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Monkeys changed the spark plugs in my 92 in her previous life

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
rwsduc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monkeys changed the spark plugs in my 92 in her previous life

I bought my 92 coupe from a local car dealer last fall and don't know the maintenance history at all. While changing the spark plugs this weekend, I found the following: #8 plug wasn't even threaded in all the way, let alone torqued down, #4 plug was missing the "puck" from the ground electrode (no one's fault there, most likely), and number #5 plug boot wasn't snapped onto the plug terminal. Earlier, I found that one of the passenger side opti boots (3rd one down) wasn't snapped on all the way either. Has anyone else ever encountered similar issues when you did your first plug change on a used vette?

This was the first time I have changed the plugs on an LT1 and I must say it wasn't nearly as bad as I was afraid it would be. Passenger side was fairly painless. I bought a cut down plug socket on Ebay just for #8 and didn't even need to use it. The driver's side wasn't bad after removing the center inner fender cover for 1 & 3, and unbolting the ASR to get to 5 & 7. Getting 7 back in required laying across the engine from the passenger side to get it started, after that it was a breeze.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:51 AM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Yup, it's not that bad of a job if you know what you are doing.

The OEM plugs are junk because that little puck falls off. I went thru two sets of plugs in 50,000 miles. I just installed the NGK TR55 plugs, they work great and won't ahve to deal with losing a puck which will open up the gap from .050 to .065

Quick Reply: Monkeys changed the spark plugs in my 92 in her previous life