C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with starter wire testing.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with starter wire testing.

Hello. I recently replaced the starter and the new one worked fine for a couple hours. When I shut it off and it wouldn't start I looked down there and noticed the small wire laying on the header, looks cooked. I pulled it away from the header and check it with a test light while having my son hold the key to the crank position and don't get any voltage. The large wire shows voltage all the time. I've checked all the fuses and I think they are all good. What might be my problem? Is this smaller cranking wire protected by a fuse somewhere else that may have blown when the wire melted through to ground? I checked for cranking voltage further up the wire near where it comes out of a larger bundle of wires and still see no voltage when holding the key to crank. Thank you for any ideas.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:55 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Your cooked wire goes to the starter solenoid and it gets 12v through this path: Jump start terminal behind battery to fusible link, through firewall connector, to ignition sw "crank" contacts, to start enable relay contacts, to clutch safety sw (gear selector sw if automatic), back through firewall connector, to starter terminal.
You may have a blown fusible link. See if you have 12v on C1 and C2 of the ignition switch connector with a 12v lightbulb, if so, fusible link is ok. If you can't find C1/C2, then find the yellow wire on the ignition switch and see if there is 12v on it in the "crank" position. If not, blown fusible link, if ok, then see if 12 v is on the grn/wh wire on the clutch safety sw and on the purple wire on the clutch sw with clutch depressed and ign sw in "crank". If purple wire has 12v and wire at the starter doesn't, then firewall connector may be damaged or wire from firewall to starter is open circuit.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Cool, thanks JFB! I'll be checking those things tomorrow and report back with my findings. I'm a little worried about being able to find C1 and C2 on the ignition switch. Is this connector down near the base of the steering column above the pedals? I know I can easily check the starter interlock wires on my shifter because I have a B&M Megashifter and I wired that up to the interlock wires and they're easy to check.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Yes, the ignition switch is behind the instrument panel top right of the steering column. My money is on a blown fusible link.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

That's what I'm guessing too since it's obvious the wire burned through and grounded out. Where is the fusable link? I looked around the battery and don't seem to be able to find it. Is it buried under/behind the battery? Thanks. I did check the shifter and it doesn't get any power to the interlock switch when turning the key to the crank position.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Its about impossible to get to the fusible links unless you take the battery out. Also, all the wires on the jump start terminal are red so identifying the specific fusible isn't easy. There are 8 wires on this terminal. A straight pin through the wire beyond the fusible can be done to ohmmeter test the links.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Gotya, I think. I can see that big square thing behind the battery with a bunch of wires bolted down to it. I do get 12volts positive when I stick the probe onto the center bolt. Okay, I'll have to pull the batter then and ohm out several of those wires further down stream then to try to locate the bad one. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:40 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Power%20Distribution.pdf
Might shed some light
Old 11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

And this http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Start...g%20System.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Help with starter wire testing.

Quick Reply: Help with starter wire testing.