C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 AM
warrior2291
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon Light

I own a 1988 corvette convertible 5.7L V8. I have had this Service Engine soon light comming on and I can't get rid of it.
I changed the following items.
Mass Air Flow Sensor
Mass Air Flow Power Relay
Mass Air Flow Burn Off Relay
Fuel Relay
Fuel Filter
All Ejectors
New Plugs
New Wires
New EGR Pipe
New EGR Valve
New EGR thermal Sensor
New Oxygen Sensor
All new Intake Gaskets (Felpro)
This all started when i went to a mechanic and he put the code machine on it and it said code 32.

So I changed everything in the system, at one time it said code 33 which meant either ECM or MAF, I changed the ECM about a year ago. SO i put new EGR valve in . What happens now is i start the car in the AM drive about 8 miles, Service Engine Soon light comes on. Shut car off and light goes out and stays out for about a 50 mile drive to work. Get in car and drive home at night after being shut down for 9 hours and no light come on all the way home. Next morning same thing all over again............Strange though for about 2 weeks I never got a light at all now its back!

Can anyone help me??????
Old 04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Do you have a Helm's manual? What engine codes are being displayed? Sounds like you're just throwing good money at parts. Not the cheapest way to diagnose or fix a problem.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if an 88 has one, my 87 does, but my problem was the same as yours, it turned out to be the EGR switch.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:58 AM
warrior2291
Racer

I ordered an EGR solonid it should be in this week only thing left is that the same as a EGR switch?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:58 AM
warrior2291
Racer

Engine code 32.Haynes Manuel says GER or ECM replace........
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Was It Hard To Change?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
warrior2291
Racer

Madesome Phone Calls I Found Out The 1988 Corvette Does Not Have That Switch. It Has The Egr Soloniod, And I Have Ordered That.the Egr Thermal Sensor Which I Replaced Could Also Be Bad Too They Tell Me.........i May Have Gotton A Bad Thermal Sensor
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

FSM Next change the air in the tires, rotate the radio *****, and order a complete new long block. There are tons of parts left to replace with no trouble shooting or testing. We have not YET begun to waste all the time, effort and MONEY that we can.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:11 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
FSM Next change the air in the tires, rotate the radio *****, and order a complete new long block. There are tons of parts left to replace with no trouble shooting or testing. We have not YET begun to waste all the time, effort and MONEY that we can.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:34 PM
warrior2291
Racer

thanks for the help ........but you dont understand this car is in pristine condition.i have restored it, the only thing i did not do it rebuild the engine.was no need to so its stock........I did do some trouble shooting.the I have my own restr i checked all the requirements ...the Code is calling out CODE 32 EGR..syste,m......
Old 04-05-2006, 06:38 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That is great that the car is in "pristine condition", but is that any excuse to forgo a regimen of thoughtful, organized, trouble shooting? How pristine could it have been if it needed all those parts? Surely your, "I did do some trouble shooting" couldn't have lead to the replacement of all the parts in your opening post. What is a, "I have my own restr i checked all the requirements"? Is that one sentence or two? What is a "restr"? First, burn your, "Haynes Manuel" and then order a FSM (Factory Service Manual) complete with trouble shooting charts for each of the trouble codes and many other problems that may pop up.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:38 AM
warrior2291
Racer

Ok lets start with this i originially had a CODE 33 which according to the book means a bad MAF sensor or relay. So I changed the MASS Air FLOW sensor power relay, no help i changed the Burn off relay.which by the way is recommended you change when you change the MAF.
Anyways I got rid of the CODE 33.
Now I had a Service engine soon light come on again. Thjis time is called out code 32 EGR. I did the trouble shooting and found out that i had good vacum..so it says change EGR valve. I did that still same problem. Now why did i change the intake gaskets? because i had to take the top pleniumn off to get to the EGR valve. So i replace all intake gaskets with felrpo gaskets.........Now back to the problem.....after changing the EGR valve i got Service engine soon light again but only in the morning when i run to wrk. By the way when i stopr 8 miles down the road and get coffee the light goes out when i shut car down and then restart it to go to work. after being at work for 10 hours and a 2 hour drive home i get no light at all..........

Now back to the trouble shooting...the only thing that was left to change was the EGR temp sensor on top of the EGR pipe....so I bought that and replaced the sensor, how ever I guess that litte brass one was in there for a while might even been originial it snaped off.so i bought a new EGR pipe and installed it with the new sensor.........No I still have the same problem.more trouble shooting and the book says change EGR soloniod.........so thats what i am waitng on to come in........after i find out where it is located on the damn engine.it shows it on the right side of ther engine .but i will find it.in the mean time if you can add anything else thats worth while i would appreciate it...........Oh yea just for the record my car has had a complete fram off restoration ......and I did it my self.but there was only so much money in my pot..........
Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi warrior, sounds like you're really getting into it-I think it's easy to say
we all hope you get the FSMs, like some I tried working problems out with my Haynes, problem is there's errors in it, and there not really year specific, besides the FSMs have great trouble shooting trees and
the FSM electrical is a great guide too-we're just trying to make it easier by suggesting the FSM, believe me it sure helps get rid of some frustration.It's kinda like 87 vs 88, Haynes doesn't tell you 87 has an EGR switch whereas the 88 doesn't. Anyhow, I think you're probably on track with the EGR solenoid!BTW, I got my FSMs on ebay for under a $100.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 AM
blown87
Race Director

GA Events Coordinator

I also had a problem with MAF burn off codes on my 87.

I replaced both relays with new dealer parts and the problem was still there .

Well back to the trouble shooting and i got a bad new realy from GM.
The moral is if you test and find the problem and repalce the bad part and the problem is still there you may have put in another bad part.

As far as the Haynes manual you do not have to burn it, just rip out the dirty pages.

I a for real on this. When we have a car come into our shop and find a haynes manual in it, we normaly go to the pages that are dirty and fix what has been screwed up there before we fix the rest of the car.

So get a FSM and trouble shoot or you are just throwing money at a problem and gambling that you are throwing it in the right place.

Greg N
Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
warrior2291
Racer

Ok Guys you talked me into it I am on the way to E-bay to but the book........
Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 AM
blown87
Race Director

GA Events Coordinator

Also on codes that pertain to the EGR system, suspect clogged passegways in the intake.

Greg N
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You really need to get a Helm's manual. You can buy 'em used on eBay in good condition for like $40 bones or more. One sensor for a Corvette can easily cost that much or more.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Engine Soon Light

Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 AM
warrior2291
Racer

greg I removed the intake and inspected and clean thoughly......
Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM
warrior2291
Racer

Service and Owner Information

> Chevrolet & Geo > 1988 > Corvette

1988 Corvette Shop Manual

Price: $105.00
In Stock

Qty:

Media: Paper
Language: English
Part #: ST36488

Models and Years Covered

More than 3000 pages of repair instructions written by General Motors, this is the original manual. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

Note: GM Truck Owners, for model years 1996 and prior the service manual is available as a set (or kit) and also sold in sections (electrical & emissions, shop/service manual, unit repair/chassis manual). All three sections are needed for full coverage.
Description:
Instructions And Procedures For Routine Repair Adjustment Maintenance Work Diagnosis/Testing And Removal/Installation Of Parts For Various Vehicle Systems.

Also included with your purchase, and included in the above price.
(1) ST36488EDM - 1988 Corvette Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement
(2) ST36488S - 1988 Corvette Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement

Cart is empty.

Buy Online or Call (800) 782-4356

Just want to make sure this is the right book to buy??
Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by warrior2291
Service and Owner Information

> Chevrolet & Geo > 1988 > Corvette

1988 Corvette Shop Manual

Price: $105.00
In Stock

Qty:

Media: Paper
Language: English
Part #: ST36488

Models and Years Covered

More than 3000 pages of repair instructions written by General Motors, this is the original manual. It contains Diagnostic Information and Procedures, Schematics and Routing Diagrams, Component Locator, Repair Instructions, Description and Operation, Specifications, and Special Tools and equipment. Service information on HVAC, Body & Accessories, Restraints, Steering, Suspension, Driveline/Axle, Brakes, Engine and Transmission/Transaxle.

Note: GM Truck Owners, for model years 1996 and prior the service manual is available as a set (or kit) and also sold in sections (electrical & emissions, shop/service manual, unit repair/chassis manual). All three sections are needed for full coverage.
Description:
Instructions And Procedures For Routine Repair Adjustment Maintenance Work Diagnosis/Testing And Removal/Installation Of Parts For Various Vehicle Systems.

Also included with your purchase, and included in the above price.
(1) ST36488EDM - 1988 Corvette Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement
(2) ST36488S - 1988 Corvette Electrical Diagram Manual Supplement

Cart is empty.

Buy Online or Call (800) 782-4356

Just want to make sure this is the right book to buy??
That's it. That's the Corvette repair bible and the exact same book the Chevy techs use to repair your car when you take it to the stealership.

I've also found genuine Helms, Inc. repair manuals here consistently $20 to $30 cheaper

http://www.factoryautomanuals.com/home.php

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light