C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF Question - Fact or urban legend

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:29 PM
REW89
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZF Question - Fact or urban legend

Another Corvette owner was told by a repair shop that resting your hand or forearm on the shifter while driving leads to transmission destruction.

I visited zfdoc.com and did not see that concern posted. Can resting your hand or forearm on the shifter while driving lead to destruction of the transmission?

Bob
Old 05-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REW89
Another Corvette owner was told by a repair shop that resting your hand or forearm on the shifter while driving leads to transmission destruction.

I visited zfdoc.com and did not see that concern posted. Can resting your hand or forearm on the shifter while driving lead to destruction of the transmission?

Bob
Well....I can't tell you anything about a C4.

But, I can tell you from experience, that in a C2, it will wear the synchronizer fork and the mating groove in the synchronizer collar badly over time.
It was not uncommon for the shifter assembly to rattle on C2s. And, it wasn't uncommon for the driver to rest his arm on it to keep it quiet. And, it wasn't uncommon for that to wear the parts I mentioned above.
Twenty five years ago, I had to replace these parts in my C2 for that reason.

So, it may be an urban legend in a C4, but it is a fact in a C2.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 05-22-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Generally speaking, it's not considered a good practice. Whether it could hurt or not or how much is probably dependent upon on the design of a particular transmission. But in some it can definitely put preload on the sliding sleeves and/or the forks that engage them (in a constanst mesh tranny) and so should be avoided as a matter of course.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:32 AM
REW89
Pro

Thanks for the replies, transmission in question is of course a ZF 6 Speed in an 89.

Bob
Old 05-22-2006, 11:43 AM
89sleeper
Burning Brakes

Location: The land of 10,000 lakes ,Minnesota 89 coupe 6speed with 383 and 89 roadster 6speed bonestock with XXX low miles

Originally Posted by REW89

Bob
Thats a new one! (I have never heard this one)
I have 2 89 6speeds and I usually keep my hand on shift **** while driving and have never had any tranny issues!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
Blownfuel1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is and it isn't bad, it all depends on the individual. The trick is to not apply any pressure on the shifter when your hand is resting there, otherwise your pushing the shifter forks against rotating parts, and this is what causes the excessive wear.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I would imagine that putting constant fore/aft pressure on the lever could wear some internals, but if the pressure in only in the vertical axis it shouldn't harm anything.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

in all the manual cars i've driven, i've always rested my hand (not applying extra pressure though) on the shifter ****. in my vette most of the resting weight is at the elbow as it naturally rests/pivots on the center console lid anyway. i've never had any problems with transmissions.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would imagine there is a difference between resting your arm on the shifter and actually applying a load. I don't know about you guys, but since the back of my arm rests on the arm-rest, and my hand just rests on the shifter, the actual force on the shifter is gonna me like a couple of ounces. Now if your arm weighed 700 lbs it might be a problem.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 PM
polo91cnvt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all shifters, including the one the put on the ZF 6 spd, are designed to take heavey loads from the speed shifting public. If you take one of these mechanical marvels out of the car and look at them, resting your hand on the shift handle is not going to break anything or cause problems. With the shifter or the tranny.

The only shifters I have broken included the 3 spd on the column 63 ford fairlane. Had to replace the collar on the steering column. It wore out when you slamed 2nd gear and broke at the pivot. Then there are the hurst compitetion pluses that slide out of connection with a slight miss-shift and save the tranny.

I put the hurst ZF shifter in at 110,000 miles and it improved the shifting and tightened everything up. An from time to time I use the shifter to rest my hand while adjusting the radio. By the way the stock shifter worked just fine, but a little sloppy and long. Sloppy can be fixed with new shims from the top. But the hurst is more fun.

good luck. Polo

Get notified of new replies

To ZF Question - Fact or urban legend

Quick Reply: ZF Question - Fact or urban legend