C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

IAC Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
mk842766
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC Question

OK, I've been fighting this hunting idle thing for too long. My question is: can I just disconnect the IAC, without causing any problems? I have replaced the IAC with a brand new one, made sure it was set to the proper length before installing, cleaned the throttlebody, and passages, and tried numerous times to set the minimum idle...each time I reset the minimum idle, it is ok for a while, then begins "hunting again. I ran my Datamaster, and the IAC showed Max IAC @ 160, and the IAC counts ranged from 0 to about 12....so I take that to mean the min. idle was just about right...I finally just gave up, and disconnected the IAC, and my idle is a rock steady 800...no up or down, just 800....car drives very well, idle comes back to 800 at a stop. Datamaster shows me IAC Max @ 160, and IAC counts range from 0 to 3...so....can I just leave the IAC disconnected, and drive it, or do I need to do something else

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-19-2007, 02:34 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Check for vacuum leaks?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Of you disconnect the IAC, you will have no ECM controlled idle speed; no cold idle, no idle compensation for A/C on, etc. You have an idle problem, probably a vacuum leak, and the IAC makes it worse, because it is playing catch up, trying to stabilize the idle. Disconnecting the IAC is an improper hack repair, but it won't do any damage. It would be best if you fixed the real cause of the problem, rather than trying to band-aid the symptom.

RACE ON!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
mk842766
Pro

Well, I've used EVERY method mentioned here on the forum....carb cleaner, propane, smoke, even tried an ultra sonic leak detector.....no leaks found. Gave up and took it to a well-known vette mechanic here in Houston to try and find any vacuum leaks.....no go, he could not find any either. So, I'm almost sure I have no vacuum leaks...that's what has been driving me crazy. Looking at Datamaster, when I log the car, the IAC counts never show to be over 12, yet the idle swings 2-300 rpm....just doesn't make any sense to me

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had a chip burned to adjust for those SVO injectors you are running? They aren't just a bolt on part....
Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

For diagnostic purposes only, disconnect the IAC to take it out of the equation. Then troubleshoot and see what results or answers you come up with. Don’t know how long it takes for your idle swing to occur, but you need that length of time +.

If you still have the idle problem, you can then keep looking for the solution. If it clears up and the idle is steady, then look toward the IAC, wiring, RPM feedback, computer and such for the answer.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by Wheelman
Have you had a chip burned to adjust for those SVO injectors you are running? They aren't just a bolt on part....
Yep, injector constant compensated for...
Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by pcolt94
For diagnostic purposes only, disconnect the IAC to take it out of the equation. Then troubleshoot and see what results or answers you come up with. Don’t know how long it takes for your idle swing to occur, but you need that length of time +.

If you still have the idle problem, you can then keep looking for the solution. If it clears up and the idle is steady, then look toward the IAC, wiring, RPM feedback, computer and such for the answer.
When I disconnect the IAC, idle is rock steady @ 800....no up or down...used the FSM to check the IAC wiring, all checked out....pulled the IAC, and jumpered A&B on the ALDL, and the pintle moved as I would expect. Datamaster never shows any excessive IAC counts, they always stay between 0 and 12, even when the idle is swinging...tried 3 different ECMs in hopes it was a bad ecm, but the idle remained jumpy with all 3...I'm really frustrated with this!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mk842766
When I disconnect the IAC, idle is rock steady @ 800....no up or down...used the FSM to check the IAC wiring, all checked out....pulled the IAC, and jumpered A&B on the ALDL, and the pintle moved as I would expect. Datamaster never shows any excessive IAC counts, they always stay between 0 and 12, even when the idle is swinging...tried 3 different ECMs in hopes it was a bad ecm, but the idle remained jumpy with all 3...I'm really frustrated with this!!
Leaky Injector?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by Wheelman
Leaky Injector?
Well, I had the fuel rail off a while back, and I thought it would be a perfect time to check the injectors....left them connected, and kicked on the key....fuel rail pressured up, and not one injector leaked even a drop...left it that way for about 5 minutes, but no leaks....so unless something strange has happened, I don't think any of the injectors are leaking....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-19-2007, 07:02 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

When I disconnect the IAC, idle is rock steady @ 800....no up or down.
There is no question the IAC is causing the idle speed variation. The question is why. Another question is why doesn't the IAC changes show up in the data log? Maybe the answers to both are related. Possibly a minor closing of the IAC raises the vacuum just enough to trigger a small, intermittent vacuum leak. Have you closed down the IAC and checked and/or tried to set the minimum air adjustment? If you persist, you can conquer it.

RACE ON!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 PM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
There is no question the IAC is causing the idle speed variation. The question is why. Another question is why doesn't the IAC changes show up in the data log? Maybe the answers to both are related. Possibly a minor closing of the IAC raises the vacuum just enough to trigger a small, intermittent vacuum leak. Have you closed down the IAC and checked and/or tried to set the minimum air adjustment? If you persist, you can conquer it.

RACE ON!!!
Yes I have. I have followed the procedure in the FSM. I tested the IAC movement by jumping A&B on the ALDL to verify that the pintle moved as expected. Re-installed, and reset the min idle. This seems to work, until I do the restart, as instructed in the FSM. Then it's right back to the hunting. As long as I let it idle, after resetting the min idle, it seems to be ok. Once I shut it down, and restart, it begins hunting. I've tried driving it for a while, hoping the learn procedure would kick in, but it's always the same....the idle hunts 2-300 rpm. I wish someone could figure this out, I'm about to pull all my hair out over this....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Once warmed tp, it only takes a minute of over 40 MPH driving to "set" (reaccumlate) the IAC. "There is no question the IAC is causing the idle speed variation. The question is why. Another question is why doesn't the IAC changes show up in the data log? Maybe the answers to both are related. Possibly a minor closing of the IAC raises the vacuum just enough to trigger a small, intermittent vacuum leak."

RACE ON!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:27 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, something else I see is:
When I disconnect the IAC, idle is rock steady @ 800....!
Is this a stock motor? 800 would be pretty high idle rpm. to set min air at operating temp. for a stock motor I would be looking at around 500-550rpm for min air setting (IAC disconnected)
. Datamaster never shows any excessive IAC counts, they always stay between 0 and 12, even when the idle is swinging.., but the idle remained jumpy
Questions, What does it say for learned iac steps at that point ? It goes down to 0? when this is going on, what else do you see in the scan, big timing advance/retard changes ? blm moving?
It seems to me that the IAC would be moving trying to compensate for idle swing, also going down to 0 sounds to me like it cannot compensate enough. Are there any possible vac. leaks?

Last edited by mseven; 06-19-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:42 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

0-12 counts is only enough air to cause about a 75 rpm swing.

Roughly 0.06 gm/count * 12 counts = 0.72 gm/sec.

Roughly 100 rpm/1 gm/sec * 0.72 gm/sec = 72 rpm.

If you're getting a 300 rpm swing, there is more to the story than just the IAC. I'm sure varying spark advance in this rpm region is a big part of the problem.

I would work on the spark table to improve idle stability in the desired idle rpm region.

Open loop fuel vs load can also contribute to idle surges, but it does not have as big an impact as the spark advance.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:28 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

---------------------------------------------------------
Cam specs?
check in the table idle rpm vs. coolant temp.
I expect you have a value OVER 800 rpm at operating temp.
If not, this can be a problem and your 0 IAC steps are the result.
Adjust this table ONLY if the cam REQUIRE an higher idle.
Check also the CTS in front of the manifold.
Check also the O2 xconts. If you have Long tube headers and NOT a heated O2 sensor, this cause an intermittent rich condition.
Do not trust too much to to Datamaster on IAC counts...
on my 90 with datamaster I can see the IAC steps varying EVEN with the iAC connector disconnected.
-Beppe-
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 AM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by mseven
I agree, something else I see is:

Is this a stock motor? 800 would be pretty high idle rpm. to set min air at operating temp. for a stock motor I would be looking at around 500-550rpm for min air setting (IAC disconnected)

Questions, What does it say for learned iac steps at that point ? It goes down to 0? when this is going on, what else do you see in the scan, big timing advance/retard changes ? blm moving?
It seems to me that the IAC would be moving trying to compensate for idle swing, also going down to 0 sounds to me like it cannot compensate enough. Are there any possible vac. leaks?
Yes, stock motor...just opened up the intake a bit, roller tip rockers, headers, and a 3" exhaust. Nothing else done to the stock motor.I don't see any big changes on the scan, advance is around 20, iac counts move between 0 and 12, back and forth, blms remain in the 128-132 range...as mentioned above, I don't believe I have any vacuum leaks, or leaky injectors. I set the idle a little higher, because in the heavy, humid air here in Houston, 550 rpm just didn't feel right, and 800 makes the car feel better at idle. The idle in the chip has also been raised to 850...this thing really goes against everything I've heard, and what I'm seeing on the scans certainly doesn't indicate a problem....I'll look at the scans again, maybe there is something subtle going on that I've missed....

Cheers,
Michael

Get notified of new replies

To IAC Question

Old 06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
0-12 counts is only enough air to cause about a 75 rpm swing.

Roughly 0.06 gm/count * 12 counts = 0.72 gm/sec.

Roughly 100 rpm/1 gm/sec * 0.72 gm/sec = 72 rpm.

If you're getting a 300 rpm swing, there is more to the story than just the IAC. I'm sure varying spark advance in this rpm region is a big part of the problem.

I would work on the spark table to improve idle stability in the desired idle rpm region.

Open loop fuel vs load can also contribute to idle surges, but it does not have as big an impact as the spark advance.
I'll have to look at the scans again, but I really didn't see any big swings in the spark advance...remained fairly consistent around 20 degrees...I'll have another go with the scans, and see if I'm missing something....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
mk842766
Pro

Originally Posted by conv90
---------------------------------------------------------
Cam specs?
check in the table idle rpm vs. coolant temp.
I expect you have a value OVER 800 rpm at operating temp.
If not, this can be a problem and your 0 IAC steps are the result.
Adjust this table ONLY if the cam REQUIRE an higher idle.
Check also the CTS in front of the manifold.
Check also the O2 xconts. If you have Long tube headers and NOT a heated O2 sensor, this cause an intermittent rich condition.
Do not trust too much to to Datamaster on IAC counts...
on my 90 with datamaster I can see the IAC steps varying EVEN with the iAC connector disconnected.
-Beppe-
Beppe, stock cam...at operating temp, with IAC disconnected, idle remains rock solid 800...CTS checks out ok by the FSM, and in Datamaster, the temp looks correct...I do have headers, and a heated O2...cross counts look ok.
I agree with you on the IAC steps in Datamaster...on my scans, with the IAC disconnected, it still shows that my counts vary from 0 to 3...less than with the IAC connected, but I would expect them to remain at 0....

Cheers,
Michael
Old 06-20-2007, 08:13 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beppe, stock cam...at operating temp, with IAC disconnected, idle remains rock solid 800...CTS checks out ok by the FSM, and in Datamaster, the temp looks correct...I do have headers, and a heated O2...cross counts look ok.
I agree with you on the IAC steps in Datamaster...on my scans, with the IAC disconnected, it still shows that my counts vary from 0 to 3...less than with the IAC connected, but I would expect them to remain at 0....

Cheers,
Michael
Have you tried this?:
close a bit the throttle blades via TB screw... just to lower to 650-700 rpm without the help of the IAC.
do reset, TPS 0.54 ...bla blabla..bla..
MAINTAIN in the chip the 850rpm idle, with just the purpose to use MORE IAC speps than 12.
I know that ALL are saying that around 20 stps is good. IMO and i my experience a level of 30 or 40 or 50 or in the middle of 0-160 is good.

I don't like to stay too much near the border line (near 160 or near 0).
...Just another suggestio to try...

Quick Reply: IAC Question