C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

It's the washers!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
You will get them, but it may take more than 7 days.
mine took about a month, but finally got them. good thing I wasn't in any hurry -
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Z51BOB
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default The splines should not move

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Nice write up, but I don't see how the washer is the cure. The way I see it , is the washer is there so there is no metal to metal contact. Instead of the shoulder of stub and face of bearing unit taking the wear from friction caused by backlash, the washer is there taking the wear and is serviceable(replace).
As you say, the backlash is still there. Lubing the splines and more torque on the axle nut is the answer for the click.
Flame suit on
I tend to agee. There should not be any movement if the axle nut is tight enough. Never had that problem on my first 85 or my ‘90. I changed bearings on both of them.
All that being said, thanks for bring up this issue. I now know what that click is on the left rear of my current 85. I’ve been all over the u joints on that car looking for a problem & been blaming it on putting 500 ftlb of torque on a car designed for half that. Now I wonder if the bearing manufacterers just got sloppy with splines.... or is the nut not tight enough. The manual calls for only 81 ft lb. That’s pretty low for a spindle nut.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:50 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51BOB
I tend to agee. There should not be any movement if the axle nut is tight enough. Never had that problem on my first 85 or my ‘90. I changed bearings on both of them.
All that being said, thanks for bring up this issue. I now know what that click is on the left rear of my current 85. I’ve been all over the u joints on that car looking for a problem & been blaming it on putting 500 ftlb of torque on a car designed for half that. Now I wonder if the bearing manufacterers just got sloppy with splines.... or is the nut not tight enough. The manual calls for only 81 ft lb. That’s pretty low for a spindle nut.
that 81 ft.lb number for the 85, has been revised - off the top of my head, i'm thinking it should be 164 ft.lbs. FWIW, about 12-15 years ago, I torqued my 85's rear hub to 150# - no noise, no clicking, no issues, but then again, I'm running pretty much pure stock.

Last edited by Joe C; 05-01-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: It's the washers!!