C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What do you hate most about your C-4.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 PM
86C4CONVERTIBLE4+3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I hate most.....................

I hate the fact that even though 90 % of all C4's aren't worth squat, mine included........................there are still all of the "Corvette Snobs" out there with that stuck up, know it all attitude. I get on this forum just about every night just to read the C4 Tech/Perf section and I very rarely post. I just sit back in my chair and shake my head at some of the people on here who think their **** doesn't stink, yet I'd be willing to wager that most of them wouldn't have the ***** to talk to anyone in person like they respond to them on here. Fortunately for me, I am mechanically inclined and have always done all of my own wrenching, but the way some of you "experts" beat up on the poor guys just looking for a little help kills me. Grow up or go buy a Porsche.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate the fact that there are so many unhappy people in the world.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:40 PM
MR NICE
Drifting

crappy door panels,and when working on if you drop a bolt or tool it may be lost forever!!

Last edited by MR NICE; 06-29-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
vetteracer92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the floppy door panels, my broken transmission
Old 06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default I Hate it when it didn't start

Makes me so mad I want to kick it in the nutz ... but I think it's a girl.

After towing it home and sitting in the road for a day ... she started right up. That really makes me mad. Started 5 times since. Kick'er in the nutz. OW!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
if i buy something better it's going to be a lotus elise. i don't see those cars suffering the damage that modern corvettes seem to be.
Perhaps you should do some research on Lotus cars? They tend to have abysmal resale, and like many exotics, accessibility and maintenance are afterthoughts.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

well, since you asked...the opti, rear spindels, the DM flywheel & ZF tranny noise, exhaust drone
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM
daytonaer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aurora40
Perhaps you should do some research on Lotus cars? They tend to have abysmal resale, and like many exotics, accessibility and maintenance are afterthoughts.
++++ on the lotus' toyota engine
----- on the lotus' bonded AL "frame." whats going to happen to the glue in 20+ years?

I soo want one. with the factory hard top and supercharger.

I hate that my 'vette can and has been able to get 30+ mpg, but it's not fun unless you let it hang sub 20 mpg's. I hate tire expenses and I hate that I always want it to be faster.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 PM
janarvae
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn, you guys really like to nitpick your cars.

I love mine for how she is, no complaints. I do however, hate the expensive gas she and my other cars drink...

Jonathan
Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I dont like driving it in rush hour with all this construction and retards
driving around me, I do all the work i can do myself and when i working in the garage on it i do allot of swearing and all that but its all good cause i didnt pay those blood suckers at the dealer, other than that it 22 years old now and has 112,000 miles on it so im not expecting it to be all that.

Last edited by rad928music; 06-29-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM
80sRule
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm mad that mine doesn't burn magic or dead babies. Guess which one I haven't been able to throw away.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastrtnu
The fact that we get totally screwed on the cost of parts here in Canada. New GM flywheel about $400 from any GM dealer in the US goes for $850 here from GM Canada!
A Duel Mass Flywheel for a 96 LT4 ZF 6 speed is a Deal at $850.00 new here is Texas. It cost me $1,800.00 parts and labor for new clutch, DM flywheel, throw out bearing and new slave, all GM new........

I Hate the clutch slaves. Had to finally have Bill at www.zfdoc.com "Blueprint" a new one. After three new GM units leaked after a month or so on each slave. Glad I had warranty on parts and labor on this.

Oh.GM is going to quit making the clutch slaves and master cylinders for the C4

AC blows out heater ducts..a common problem with a 96.

Our wheel bearings are Junk if you use for Track days.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
DarkBlue88
Pro

Location: Charlotte NC, behind someone going 10 under the speed limit

The bolt on top and the F$%#in Universal Theft Deterrent alarm used in '88 are both worthless. The climate control seems to have an odd strategy, and the whole "packing" the cooling system when you do a repair
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default what I hate

I have an 86e.
I hate the plasticky interior, and the exhaust noise.
after that, it's a supercar. it's 23 years old, and still does the daily commute. I get fabulous gas mileage, and you need sunglasses to look at it in the dark. 147,000 miles on the clock.
With the New C5 wheels, it sort of reminds you of wider than stock wheels.

I hate the precats, and the fact that the car is so hot all of the time

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 08-08-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: info
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Port A Vette
Instructor

Default I too had this problem

Originally Posted by 95VETTEINMEMPHIS
Man let me get on my soap box for a second. By and large that f n rubber coating on the console is the dumbest idea GM has ever had. I replaced my console a few years back because when I bought my 95 it was all cracked up. Ever since I put it on little scraches and fuzz and hair and dust all love to stick to it.And I am real **** about keeping the interior looking sharp. And there isnt a great shine product to put on it. So today as I am trying to clean it the f n door hinge broke on the underside. So I took the console out and there is know way to fix it. And I am not goiog to spend 100 bucks on a whole new console. If someone sold this without the rubber crap Id buy it up in a heartbeat. Thanks for letting me vent.
Get the one that the "partsladi" sells on "the bay". The coating is different and does not gum up like the other aftermarket pieces. I've been through 3 before I found this one. No sticky mess - the interior always looks good now. The sticky console used to drive me nuts. I'd buy a new piece and the hot sun here in Corpus would melt the coating and the sticky would be back. I understand how you feel. It bugged me too.

Larry
Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Louis Bartay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Port A Vette
Get the one that the "partsladi" sells on "the bay". The coating is different and does not gum up like the other aftermarket pieces. I've been through 3 before I found this one. No sticky mess - the interior always looks good now. The sticky console used to drive me nuts. I'd buy a new piece and the hot sun here in Corpus would melt the coating and the sticky would be back. I understand how you feel. It bugged me too.

Larry

I too have one from Partsladi. It is not sticky like some of the other aftermarket one's. But it does not match the stock one. Looks a little flat black.( you have to really look close to see the difference. But worth the money.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM
bikertrash2001
Advanced

Not to sound too much like a 'fanboy'.....

Do you see many of the Generals other 80's and 90's cars
that are even still on the road? Ask a Magnum PI Ferrari owner
or a 928 owner about problems and ours will seem quite pale
in camparision. I'll attest to the fact that the price of admission
is pretty low to a pretty darn good car. Plus most folks not in
the know wouldn't know ours from a C5 if it's in good shape.
I've received a lot more compliments from people who matter
on this car than I ever did on a current generation Mustang
I had a few years back. Don't sweat the small stuff, life is too
short.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you hate most about your C-4.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Fick
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't really hate anything but a couple major inconveniences are the top removal, and battery removal.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the weatherstripping because no matter what, it always leaks. That drip drip drip on your lap gets really old. I also hate the cheapness of the interior panels. I'm basically gutting my Vette and replacing everything with some nice carpet. I'm also thinking about ripping out the door panels and replacing them with some upholstery or just a layer of carpet.

The worst of it, I hate how the heater core replacement job is harder than pulling the motor.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Aurora40
what are you smoking? a toyota vvti is one of the more reliable motors on the road. also very easy to boost. my only gripe is lotus didn't use the honda k20a instead. it's a sub 2000lb car that is beyond easy to work on, everything is right infront of you. as far as resale, look on ebay at the retail of a 2005 elise and what they sell for. do the same with a 2005 c6, which percentage drop is greatest?

Last edited by racebum; 06-30-2008 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: What do you hate most about your C-4.