C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coolant Temperature Gauge Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:21 PM
flatbush862
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coolant Temperature Gauge Failure

I have a 1990 a4. The coolant temperature gauge on the dash stopped working. it is flat 0. The other gauges all work fine

I changed the coolant temperature sensor on the intake manifold and it still does not work.

Looking at the Haynes Manual 1 line diagram, it looks like there is something called an

"Engine Metal Temperature Switch" feeding the gauge.

Could this be the problem?? Where physically is this in/on the car??

I have a PCM for less chip in the car.

Help with this one appreciated.

Flatbush 862
Old 04-18-2009, 04:38 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

On my 86, the gauge info comes from sender in passenger head. It sounds like you replaced the one the ECM uses.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
flatbush862
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes thanks Agent 86-

After researching a little bit I found the correct part and location. The auto parts stores often confuse the temperature coolant "sensor" with the coolant "sending unit" the sending unit is as you said on the passenger side head near the #6 cylinder plug. The sending unit has a blade connection where as the "sensor" is a socket connection at the front of the intake manifold under the Throttle body.

Flatbush 862
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
macatxfl
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flatbush862
I have a 1990 a4. The coolant temperature gauge on the dash stopped working. it is flat 0. The other gauges all work fine

I changed the coolant temperature sensor on the intake manifold and it still does not work.

Looking at the Haynes Manual 1 line diagram, it looks like there is something called an

"Engine Metal Temperature Switch" feeding the gauge.

Could this be the problem?? Where physically is this in/on the car??

I have a PCM for less chip in the car.

Help with this one appreciated.

Flatbush 862

Hi there is a sensor on the passangers side of the car close to the back of the motor right next to the back spark plug ,,,That sersor controls the temp gauge the one on the mainifold is just a temp switch check that back senson there is 1 single wire that mounts to it some times that wire gets melted or just gets loose and falls off the ground prong and when the wire falls off the gauge will NO longer WORK as this happens to my 1990 c4 with the L98 motor in it when that wire falls off too it stops sending the temp of the motor to the ECM and turns the gauge off and some times sends a check gauge signal to the info centor on the dash Hope i helped some

Last edited by macatxfl; 06-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bogie dog (11-25-2015)
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 AM
TomP.
Advanced

Default Temp. Gauge Failure

I just bought a 1990 Corvette and the Temp. gauge was not working all so . I all so looked at the sender at the front of the engine as that is were Chevy used to put the Temp sender . I would have never looked by the right rear spark plug . Sure enough there it was with the wire disconnected . I reconnected it and now the gauge work's fine . Thanks for the help .
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM
F0RMULA
Instructor

Similar thing is happening with my 92 LT1.

The gauge just randomly stopped working, BUT the digital coolant temp. readout still works.

Could it still be that part on the passenger firewall?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by F0RMULA
Could it still be that part on the passenger firewall?
Gauge sending unit is located in head as noted above

Originally Posted by F0RMULA
BUT the digital coolant temp. readout still works.
Because it uses a different sensor

Last edited by rodj; 07-14-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by macatxfl
the one on the mainifold is just a temp switch ..........when the wire falls off the gauge will NO longer WORK .................it stops sending the temp of the motor to the ECM
For anyone who has found this by searching; info is wrong
The " just a temp switch" is the coolant temp sensor (CTS ) located in the intake at front that sends engine temp to ECM and is a major item in engine control
Sending unit in head only runs the temp gauge
Nilak (12-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM
TomP.
Advanced

The temperature sending unit in the right head is needed for the analog temperature gauge located in the dash to work . If it worked once and a while the wire connector was loose and now is disconnected . The sender is located next to a spark plug so when changing plugs it gets knocked off .
Nilak (12-14-2023)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM
F0RMULA
Instructor

Thanks for the help!

When you say 'RIGHT Head' are you talking passenger side or driver side? And I'd imagine its more towards the firewall?

thanks again
Old 07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
TomP.
Advanced

The passenger side just in front of the spark plug closes the fire wall is where You will find the Temp. sender . The wire is green and it is a single connector . Have Fun !!!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TomP.
The passenger side just in front of the spark plug closes the fire wall is where You will find the Temp. sender . The wire is green and it is a single connector . Have Fun !!!
sender for the cluster circled in green.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
F0RMULA
Instructor

exactly what i needed to know/see

thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM
gypsydiego
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macatxfl
Hi there is a sensor on the passangers side of the car close to the back of the motor right next to the back spark plug ,,,That sersor controls the temp gauge the one on the mainifold is just a temp switch check that back senson there is 1 single wire that mounts to it some times that wire gets melted or just gets loose and falls off the ground prong and when the wire falls off the gauge will NO longer WORK as this happens to my 1990 c4 with the L98 motor in it when that wire falls off too it stops sending the temp of the motor to the ECM and turns the gauge off and some times sends a check gauge signal to the info centor on the dash Hope i helped some
I found the sensor, where am i suppose to connect it to?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Tony Velasquez
3rd Gear

It goes up an down but mainly stays on 299 .... So i put an after market gauge an my temp stays at 190...but im trying to keep it original
Old 06-08-2016, 02:06 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by gypsydiego
I found the sensor, where am i suppose to connect it to?
It connects to a green wire with a blade style connector:

Old 06-08-2016, 02:23 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Cliff - Post #14 is 30 months old and #15 is a very vague inquiry mentioning NOTHING about the car!

POSTER "Tony Velasquez" - What year is your car? It would likely be suggested by some that you post a NEW thread but since you're here mention more information about your car. Year, engine, transmission etc.

You mentioned "stock" - shouldn't be an issue!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-08-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Tony Velasquez
3rd Gear

Well its a 87 vette with the 5.7 tuned port engine. My temp gauge is going crazy , but whats so funny is i dont even have it conected i dis conected the one in front an the one on the side because i figured that since i disconnected the temp sending unit an that done nothing it still kept marking it goes from 250 to 299 but mainly stays on 299 can their be another one located some where else
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default temp guage

Originally Posted by Tony Velasquez
Well its a 87 vette with the 5.7 tuned port engine. My temp gauge is going crazy , but whats so funny is i dont even have it conected i dis conected the one in front an the one on the side because i figured that since i disconnected the temp sending unit an that done nothing it still kept marking it goes from 250 to 299 but mainly stays on 299 can their be another one located some where else
make sure the wire is not corroded or brocken some where down below the manifold , if it is and it touching metal it will cause your gauge to bounce around , this would be the sensor switch as said on previous post on passenger side, if it is disconnected the analog switch will not read any tempeture, i have an lt1 and there are two temp switchs the one in front is for the digital read out on the dash. if you disconnected that one please reconnect it , your car will run terrible. the ecm uses this for proper tunning , idol, and cooling fan control.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant Temperature Gauge Failure

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature Gauge Failure