C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lt1vette94
If ya'll could do me a quick favor (my x pipe just arrived )
Can you each measure the distance from where the the midpipe goes straight after the cat to the middle of the x? something like this

||
X
||
/ \
cat
I went out and snapped these for you.

This is one of RacerX70CC's X pipes I bought from him a couple of years ago. It replaces the stock resonator. Looks very similar to the one you say you bought. The width of it is a little snug for the tunnel so some adjustments have to be made for it to fit.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 12-22-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Orr89rocz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read in the past that H pipe location does NOT matter on applications for street cars. X pipes I am not sure but I'm willing to guess it doesnt matter either.

As far as header paint on the exhaust pipes? That seems to be just a wise tale. Heat energy disappates as it runs down the length of pipe. Where paint chips off, the exhaust is just hot still. Exhaust gas temperatures can be controlled by the tune as far as timing and air fuel ratios go so two different tunes on the same motor will produce different paint flake off spots on the exhaust. That doesnt mean anything

Exhaust science articles will explain that length of the collectors is what really matters and on a street car that collector becomes the full exhaust length which can be bad, unless you build a pulse termination box (basically a giant resonator) at the correct collector length for your application, and then run the exhaust pipes back out the car.

Race open headers with proper collector length will yeild max power at your ideal peak rpm. You can also have the right length for max torque that will sacrifice some max power. A street car needs to simulate open headers while keeping mufflers for sound reduction. Its a true science and more reading can be found by searching for exhaust termination boxes.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weav's Vet
I went out and snapped these for you.

This is one of RacerX70CC's X pipes I bought from him a couple of years ago. It replaces the stock resonator. Looks very similar to the one you say you bought. The width of it is a little snug for the tunnel so some adjustments have to be made for it to fit.
Looks very similar to the one I got (I'll post pics shortly )
I'm very satisfied with the purchase, and I'd recommend this x pipe to anyone and everyone.

So that fit exactly where the resonator was cut out?

Also, I just noticed that the part above the x is shorter than the part below. On mine, they are equal lengths. Should I have the part above the x cut down to that length?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So that fit exactly where the resonator was cut out?
Also, I just noticed that the part above the x is shorter than the part below. On mine, they are equal lengths. Should I have the part above the x cut down to that length?
Yes it did.

The end toward the cats was obviously trimmed because it was to long. I guess both ends could be trimmed the same amount to make it equal. I had this installed so this is the way the guy did it.You can also see where the strap that fastens to the support springs was cut to expand the pipes to fix the X.

As I mentioned this one was a little wide for the tunnel. It had to be heated to close up the pipes a little. Wasn't much,maybe a 1/4" overall. Just enough to rub.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 02-01-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:08 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Yes it did.

The end toward the cats was obviously trimmed because it was to long. I guess both ends could be trimmed the same amount to make it equal. I had this installed so this is the way the guy did it.You can also see where the strap that fastens to the support springs was cut to expand the pipes to fix the X.

As I mentioned this one was a little wide for the tunnel. It had to be heated to close up the pipes a little. Wasn't much,maybe a 1/4" overall. Just enough to rub.
If x pipe location doesn't affect performance, I'll just have it installed at its current length. If being closer to the headers is crucial, I'll have them cut half of the piping off of the top half. I just want to get the most out of it. How does it sound?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If x pipe location doesn't affect performance, I'll just have it installed at its current length. If being closer to the headers is crucial, I'll have them cut half of the piping off of the top half. I just want to get the most out of it. How does it sound?
It was louder. That was when I had Magnaflows on there. I was trying to reduce resonance by installing the X pipe. I suppose it did some but wasn't enough for me. I now have Corsa's on the car. I'm thinking about installing this back on though. Frankly, the Corsa's are a little loud around town to suit me with the mods I have done to the car lately. With it stock it was perfect. I have some stock cans I'm going to try without the resonator to see how that does just for kicks when I change the rear end shortly. Good luck with your installation! Sounds like you have a good plan.

Last edited by Weav's Vet; 02-01-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

It was louder. That was when I had Magnaflows on there. I was trying to reduce resonance by installing the X pipe. I suppose it did some but wasn't enough for me. I now have Corsa's on the car. I'm thinking about installing this back on though. Frankly, the Corsa's are a little loud around town to suit me with the mods I have done to the car lately. With it stock it was perfect. I have some stock cans I'm going to try without the resonator to see how that does just for kicks when I change the rear end shortly. Good luck with your installation! Sounds like you have a good plan.
Alright thanks man! Good luck to you to!
I'll get some vids up
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Put the video on youtube with a free account and just copy and paste the "embed" code that youtube gives you in between ""

I bet it sounds like a monster!
How do I get it on you tube from my camera?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Strick
Is it a digital camera? DVD? or Tape? You have to save it as a file on your computer and upload it to the website.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

So does it matter that the x will be 15" after where the pipes first run parallel?
This thing weighs 11lbs :O
Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Put the video on your computer (put it on your desktop for ease of finding it). Use the cable or dock that came with the camera, or take out the SD card and plug into the computer... Then just hit the upload video button on your account and click the video... A min or 2 for uploading and tada, you are done!
Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

This may help you out Strick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jCgCertZQ
Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Upload it to youtube, not photobucket. Photobucket tends to make vids look scrunched (or at least in my experience with it). I'm just going to have this welded in and hope it's in the best spot
Old 02-03-2010, 01:26 AM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Btw, as promised:

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks familiar...
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RacerX70CC
looks familiar...
Do you have the same x?

How close is yours mounted to the beginning of the parallel pipes section?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Weav's Vet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Do you have the same x?

How close is yours mounted to the beginning of the parallel pipes section?

See post #41. He sells them. Guess you didn't make the connection.

Get notified of new replies

To Strategy to selecting x pipe location?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

See post #41. He sells them. Guess you didn't make the connection.
I thought that guy was trying to say that he bought that exhaust used from the user racerx or whatever. Guess I was mistaken. Awesome x pipe nonetheless. Can't wait to get it installed
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool!!! SOOOOO??? When are you gonna install it and make a video! The suspense is kill'n me!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM
94lt1vette94
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Cool!!! SOOOOO??? When are you gonna install it and make a video! The suspense is kill'n me!!!
As soon as I have the money to install it lol. It's tough being a kid

Quick Reply: Strategy to selecting x pipe location?