C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
crosswhite
Acct suspended by request 19 April 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump?

The last couple days my steering to the left seemed to be getting tight especially at idle. Today, now, it is making this God aweful noise and vibration when I turn to the right whether I am sitting still or moving...does it sound like the pump has gone bad? it also seems to make noise when I am braking, are the two systems somehow joined?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Is it a really loud whine?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 PM
crosswhite

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
Is it a really loud whine?
it has a whine, but it has a loud knock too and it vibrates the whole damn car.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
crosswhite

on the inside of the car the vibration feels like something is rubbing on the tires, like its bumpin the frame or something, but it does it while the tires are straight if i just lightly turn to the left...nothing to the right tho.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
crosswhite

ok, i jacked it and took of the wheel, everything works fine. the resevior is full and everything. doesnt look milky or smell odd. and now that its got no weight on it it turns fine. but with weight, at an idle, the steering wheel will freeze up going left and i have to bump it to turn left....can anyone help???
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

First thing to try is changing the fluid. Suck it out with a turkey baster and add fresh stuff. Turn the rack a few times with the wheels up to work the fluid in and work any bubbles out. Repeat a few times. Worked for mine.

Matthew
Old 04-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

my PS pump whines, so i think its on the way out. I don't have any of the other symptoms you described though, it almost sounds mechanical.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could be a sign of the steering rack going south. If you feel/hear something when only turning in one direction, the pump itself wouldn't be the cause. The PS rack has valves that control pressure to whichever direction you steer.

The power steering system has no relationship to the brakes in terms of operation. But I would also check for bad ball joints on the side where you have the problem. Also check the tie rod end on that side. Nothing should be loose or sloppy.

Also, check the front hub for excess play. With the car jacked up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and see if it moves in and out. You don't have to push hard to do this.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM
crosswhite

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Could be a sign of the steering rack going south. If you feel/hear something when only turning in one direction, the pump itself wouldn't be the cause. The PS rack has valves that control pressure to whichever direction you steer.

The power steering system has no relationship to the brakes in terms of operation. But I would also check for bad ball joints on the side where you have the problem. Also check the tie rod end on that side. Nothing should be loose or sloppy.

Also, check the front hub for excess play. With the car jacked up, grab the tire at the top and bottom and see if it moves in and out. You don't have to push hard to do this.
ok...so i put it back together and went in for a while. i just went and cranked it up and it operates just fine???? could heat play a part in steering???
Old 04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crosswhite
ok...so i put it back together and went in for a while. i just went and cranked it up and it operates just fine???? could heat play a part in steering???
What C4cruiser said. Certainly heat has something to do with steering, namely seals warming up and sealing better. My first guess would be a faulty rack. Flushing may help.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Chapindad
Racer

I agree. Flush fluid and also check your belt. I had this problem with a different car and it was a worn belt. So it would come and go and getting useful info out of my 19 year old daughter is not always easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump?