C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

No rear defogger or heated mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No rear defogger or heated mirrors

Hey all! I have an 89 that is driving me nuts. I have no power to my rear window struts or to the heated mirror fuse. I'm guessing from all that I've seen that possibly the defogger relay is bad. When the car is running with the defogger button pushed, i get the light on the dash telling me it's supposed to be on but I've got nothing. I pulled the radio, center information console, and the right side dash panel off looking for the darn relay and can't find it. Any specific ideas on where it is?? Thank you in advance!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is for a 90, but should be in the same location on yours.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you tested the gauges fuse and circuit breaker ?
The FSM says relay is behind AC control head(C68), but I don't recall seeing it.
If it's manual climate control(C60), the relay is built into the timer, which I believe is attached to the defog switch.

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Defog...%20Mirrors.pdf
Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

Thanks for the info. Keystring- I found that same pic on "Somedata" but I couldn't find a relay block like that in my car. Thank you AGENT 86. I'll trouble shoot using that info tomorrow. I couldn't find anything that had the 5 prong style relays behind my dash. I didn't pull the electronic climate control head though. Almost forgot. All fuses and circuit breakers tested good.

Last edited by MDstar2; 03-18-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-19-2011, 03:55 PM
MDstar2
Instructor

It was a bad defogger relay. The books and manuals were way off on this one!!! Every pic and description said behind a/c panel or on passenger side. After taking the whole dash out to see what exactly was in there, it ended up being just to the right of the steering column on the firewall. Not what I was expecting and a lot easier to get to than taking the dash out. LOL. There was also no relay block like the pic above. Oh well, it's fixed. Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To No rear defogger or heated mirrors

Quick Reply: No rear defogger or heated mirrors