C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

harmonic balancer change help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default harmonic balancer change help

My harmonic balancer is not good. so I can not do the proper timing.

because of this I buy new harmonic balancer. also read and watch a lot of video in .
how to change and install harmonic balancer

I find out that i need a special puller tool to get it out, also special installer tool to install

so I get the two tools. in order to be preper for the job.

now I have new harmonic balancer in box
new puller tool
and new install tool.

I went to the car just to find out there is a bar in from side to side in from of the harmonic balancer that prevent me to use tools also the rack amd pinon is in the way.

after that Iam thinking I will have to dismatel all the fromt of the car just to have good space to work.

so I was wondering. if any body have done this job. and what is the best way to do this.??????

Last edited by hitmanpty; 04-16-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
hogsnvettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanpty
My harmonic balancer is not good. so I can not do the proper timing.

because of this I buy new harmonic balancer. also read and watch a lot of video in .
how to change and install harmonic balancer

I find out that i need a special puller tool to get it out, also special installer tool to install

so I get the two tools. in order to be preper for the job.

now I have new harmonic balancer in box
new puller tool
and new install tool.

I went to the car just to find out there is a bar in from side to side in from of the harmonic balancer that prevent me to use tools also the rack amd pinon is in the way.

after that Iam thinking I will have to dismatel all the fromt of the car just to have good space to work.

so I was wondering. if any body have done this job. and what is the best way to do this.??????
I had to remove the harmonic balancer when changing the opti on my '95 recently. After taking the serpentine belt off I used a hammer wedged under the balancer while removing the three mounting bolts. I also put a dab of white marker paint to indicate where the balancer was positioned. When the bolts are removed, crawl under the car and use a strong piece of wood with a 2lb mallet. Position the wood on the back of the balancer, alternating from side to side, and beat the damn thing off with the mallet. It takes awhile but it will eventually come off. You can also spray the inner part of the balancer with PB Blaster to loosen the rust between balancer and crank hub.

If you search for replacing the opti on an LT-1 you will find a number of good write ups with this procedure.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Aqualoo
Instructor

I am in the process of this and it's so much easier than it looks! Unbolt balancer then like the other guy said beat on it from underneath.. have a good light so you know youre hitting the crank pulley not the hub! Hit one side then hit the direct opposite side to "work" it off. From start to off and out took me about 40min and mine was pretty seized on the hub.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I did mine without removing anything. I will post a couple of pics at lunch.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

A universal steering wheel puller (ava. anywhere) will pull it quick, sometimes you have to loosen the rack pressure line (on my 84 you do) or slighty raise the engine.
The installer is harder to find, don't use the bolt to pull it back on. You'll strip the snout.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by hogsnvettes
I had to remove the harmonic balancer when changing the opti on my '95 recently. After taking the serpentine belt off I used a hammer wedged under the balancer while removing the three mounting bolts. I also put a dab of white marker paint to indicate where the balancer was positioned. When the bolts are removed, crawl under the car and use a strong piece of wood with a 2lb mallet. Position the wood on the back of the balancer, alternating from side to side, and beat the damn thing off with the mallet. It takes awhile but it will eventually come off. You can also spray the inner part of the balancer with PB Blaster to loosen the rust between balancer and crank hub.

If you search for replacing the opti on an LT-1 you will find a number of good write ups with this procedure.
the 3 bolts are not a problem I think I can manage that. yesterday I took out 2 out of 3 bolts. just have to turn the motor a little to get number 3 bolt.

that is not the problem.
the problem. is
how do I fit a puller in such a small place, and after that how do I fit a installer tool ????????????
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM
QuickGlass
Advanced

I just changed mine.
Before removing the belt, loosen the bolts on the lower crank pulley.
There are 3 bolts holding the pulley to the balancer and the center bolt holding the balancer to the crank.

I loosened the 4 sway bar mounting bolts to drop the bar down a bit and disconnected the line on the top of the rack.
Doesn't take long and makes the job much easier.

I wouldn't hit anything with a hammer. That can't be good on the crankshaft. You already have the correct tools to do it right.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

The puller will be very close to being flush to the balancer, don't use a 3 jaw puller.

Last edited by ex-x-fire; 04-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

this are the tools I have

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by QuickGlass
I just changed mine.
Before removing the belt, loosen the bolts on the lower crank pulley.
There are 3 bolts holding the pulley to the balancer and the center bolt holding the balancer to the crank.

I loosened the 4 sway bar mounting bolts to drop the bar down a bit and disconnected the line on the top of the rack.
Doesn't take long and makes the job much easier.

I wouldn't hit anything with a hammer. That can't be good on the crankshaft. You already have the correct tools to do it right.
what will happend if I disconnect the line on the top of the rack???? it that will make me loose a lot of power string fluid?????

I think the sway bar is not that big of a problem but the bar on top going from side to site. is right in front of the lower pulley....
Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Having a hard time finding my pics, but I used the puller you pictured and the threaded bolt just fit between the rack and the metal fluid line coming out of the rack. I will look again after work, time to eat.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the motor runs I suggest leaving the belt on and backing out the three bolts two complete turns. Then run the motor for a few seconds. Remove the belt and the three bolts and see if the hub pulley/balance slides right off.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

I found some information on the internet. this guy have pictures and very good instructions in how he did it. look like I have to work the problem under the car

here is the link very good.

http://www.corvetteguruforum.com/mod...post_id=109390
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

You guys need to know that lt1 engines have a different type of set up(2 piece) then the older engines. The OP has a 86.
If you loosen the p/s line you'll loose some fluid, thats all, refill when your done.

Last edited by ex-x-fire; 04-16-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by hogsnvettes

Just like to say. I dont recoment to any one to hit in any way the harmonic balancer. that is a "no no" all the way,

you can damage important part of your motor by doing this.

always use the proper tools.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Having a hard time finding my pics, but I used the puller you pictured and the threaded bolt just fit between the rack and the metal fluid line coming out of the rack. I will look again after work, time to eat.
love to see your pics..........
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

My memory sucks, I had a few things already out of the way(was pulling motor), but still may be doable.

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer change help

Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM
hitmanpty
Drifting

wwwooo exelente........ I can do this. great photos.

question.
do I need to lift the car???????
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Originally Posted by hitmanpty
question.
do I need to lift the car???????
No, can't see any benefit from that.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
My memory sucks, I had a few things already out of the way(was pulling motor), but still may be doable.

Now that I see this I think I'll lift the engine out to do the cam change and head swap when I get to that point.

Last edited by mcm95403; 04-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer change help