Do you need an OptiSpark? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do you need an OptiSpark?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 14,797
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
Just got my opti. It is not like the cap pictured above. Mine is all black. Also, it came out wet. I can post a pic if you want.
OUCH....depending on how wet it got....that would concern me...that is for sure. Luckily I have the socket to remove the cap and look inside it.

AS for the cap./...YES...I have seen them be black/dark gray instead of the light tan color. That is not big deal breaker for me.

DUB
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:36 PM   #22
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

I'll post a pic of the wetness. Hold up
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
I'll post a pic of the wetness. Hold up
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #24
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
SacCityCorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Posts: 7,080
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Hi 1993C4LT1,

I believe that is the assemble lube that they put on the seal and bearing.
I don't think it is anything to worry about. You could pull the cap and see how it looks inside.

Thank you for your business and if you have anymore concerns let me know.

Christian
__________________
Don't forget to check out our products at www.saccitycorvette.com


If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
SacCityCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #25
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

Awesome! Alright, I'll pull the cap.
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #26
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
SacCityCorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Posts: 7,080
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
Awesome! Alright, I'll pull the cap.
While your in there, some like the add a little loctite to the two screws that hold the rotor on for added insurance. Not sure if its necessary but that is what I have read.

Christian
__________________
Don't forget to check out our products at www.saccitycorvette.com


If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
SacCityCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #27
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 14,797
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette View Post
Hi 1993C4LT1,

I believe that is the assemble lube that they put on the seal and bearing.
I don't think it is anything to worry about. You could pull the cap and see how it looks inside.

Thank you for your business and if you have anymore concerns let me know.

Christian


I would install it and not think twice about it. I have to 'say'...in my opoinion... it is not water....becasue....if it were water...there would be no witness marks of where it was 'wet'....and it would have dried up.

DUB
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #28
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

I was about to install the opti. but I noticed the bearing comes out very easily. on the opti I pulled out, it doesn't do that. Is that normal?
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:29 PM   #29
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 14,797
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
I was about to install the opti. but I noticed the bearing comes out very easily. on the opti I pulled out, it doesn't do that. Is that normal?
I have never had that bearing come out and I have replaced numerous Opti-Spark distributors. The bearing should not come out where your splined shaft slides into it and indexes to the portion of the Opti-spark inside.

DUB
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

There we go, splined shaft. That is what I am talking about. I've only done two opti's, before this one. Never had this happen either. Thanks Dub I'll be returning it.
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #31
SacCityCorvette
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
 
SacCityCorvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: SacCityCorvette.com in Sacramento Ca Join us on Facebook!
Posts: 7,080
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Hi,
Is the the part you are talking about? It is normal to be able to
pull it out.

Thanks
Christian
Attached Images
  
__________________
Don't forget to check out our products at www.saccitycorvette.com


If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
SacCityCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

That's weird, but since Steven is running the AIP opti, I'll put it in. I wonder why they made it this way?

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 11-21-2016 at 09:47 AM.
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #33
STEVEN13
CF Senior Member
 
STEVEN13's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: N. Babylon NY
Posts: 1,834
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
That's weird, but since Steven is running the AIP opti, I'll put it in. I wonder why they made it this way?
Brandon,

I have responded to your PM--Here it is-Mine was black too. But I did use the MSD Cap/Rotor (which is fully vented). I have read your post. The bearing you mention-Is it the splined piece that goes into the cam/opti. If yes this is removable. So far my opti from them is okay. I would not be concerned with the oil.

Good luck.
Steve
STEVEN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #34
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

Thanks
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:05 PM   #35
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 14,797
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
There we go, splined shaft. That is what I am talking about. I've only done two opti's, before this one. Never had this happen either. Thanks Dub I'll be returning it.
AS shown in an above post...the splined shaft is made to come out.
And hopefully you are aware that this splined shaft can only go in ONE WAY ONLY when you go and index it on the engine.

DO NOT----REPEAT------DO NOT force the Opti-spark on the engine or use its mounting bolts to pull it flush to the block area.

And not meaning to step on your toes...but when I do this type with the splined shaft. I remove the splined shaft form the Opti-spark and get it to slide into the engine area. Then... I pay very careful attention to where the indexing notch is in the splinded shaft. So I know where I need to rotate the splined shaft when I put it back into the Opti-spark. That way....I can slide it into place and the Opti-spark will seat against the block with very little to no effort.

If the Opti-spark does not seat flush BY HAND...you are not right and try it again.

The reason I am writing this is because I had a customer who did his own Opti-spark swap. And the car did not run right afterwards....he brought it to me to figure out and I found that he was off one tooth on the splined shaft because he forced it....even though he said he didn't...the facts proved otherwise.

DUB
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #36
STEVEN13
CF Senior Member
 
STEVEN13's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: N. Babylon NY
Posts: 1,834
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUB View Post
AS shown in an above post...the splined shaft is made to come out.
And hopefully you are aware that this splined shaft can only go in ONE WAY ONLY when you go and index it on the engine.

DO NOT----REPEAT------DO NOT force the Opti-spark on the engine or use its mounting bolts to pull it flush to the block area.

And not meaning to step on your toes...but when I do this type with the splined shaft. I remove the splined shaft form the Opti-spark and get it to slide into the engine area. Then... I pay very careful attention to where the indexing notch is in the splinded shaft. So I know where I need to rotate the splined shaft when I put it back into the Opti-spark. That way....I can slide it into place and the Opti-spark will seat against the block with very little to no effort.

If the Opti-spark does not seat flush BY HAND...you are not right and try it again.

The reason I am writing this is because I had a customer who did his own Opti-spark swap. And the car did not run right afterwards....he brought it to me to figure out and I found that he was off one tooth on the splined shaft because he forced it....even though he said he didn't...the facts proved otherwise.

DUB
Good advise here.

Steve
STEVEN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #37
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

What I've done on the previous opti jobs, I just positioned the tooth same way the bad opti came out. But still, thanks for the heads up
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #38
DUB
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 14,797
Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1 View Post
What I've done on the previous opti jobs, I just positioned the tooth same way the bad opti came out. But still, thanks for the heads up


At least you know about the notch to special tooth. Many people do not and do not realize that the splined shaft MUST be installed in a specific position so the engine can be in correct time.

DUB
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #39
illenema
CF Senior Member
 
illenema's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: KB7TIF Ville NV
Posts: 2,310
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacCityCorvette View Post
We carry AIP Optisparks with a 2 year warranty
Please check our website:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LT1-SBC.html
I have one in my 95 very happy. car has never ran better
illenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #40
1993C4LT1
CF Senior Member
 
1993C4LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 12,847
Thanked 230 Times in 197 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illenema View Post
I have one in my 95 very happy. car has never ran better
Do you have a code h16? I just got my car back on the roads with this opti, and after deleting code h16, it came back. Car seems to run fine though.
1993C4LT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Do you need an OptiSpark?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    2 Year Warranty on AIP Optisparks. Check out our Holiday Sale! SacCityCorvette C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted 2 12-24-2015 07:34 PM
    2 Year Warranty on AIP Optisparks. Check out our Holiday Sale! SacCityCorvette C4 Vendor for Sale 2 12-24-2015 07:13 PM
    **New Performance Optispark for your LT1/LT4!** SacCityCorvette C4 General Discussion 97 07-07-2015 11:50 AM
    Do you need a Optispark for your C4 LT1/LT4? Check this out! SacCityCorvette C4 Vendor for Sale 0 10-28-2014 07:53 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: