C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Cell in C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:46 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Fuel Cell in C4

got excellent info from this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...el-cell-2.html

Unfortunately the thread is about 6yrs old and Olski the guy i wanted too pick his brain on it is no longer posting as of June...

So anyone else running a fuel cell in their C4 i'm going too start on my Carb'd Autocross/weekend C4 this January and just wanted tips/pics if possible of the setup I shooting for a 8 gallon cell minimum...

Any help is appreciated
Old 12-05-2015, 01:09 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

If you know a good fabricator it might be worth it to have a custom alum cell made that can use the factory fuel door and mount in the same area as the stock tank basically. Might even get lucky and find one that'll work. You can buy necks with a screw on cap for some fuel cells or place it where you need on a custom one. Anything in the hatch area will need some type of separation for safety, ie a divider wall or a box with lid like in the thread you linked.

LOL I've given it some thought more for my c3 than the c4 but I think I'd try to keep it stock location even with the c4.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
L98Justin
Pro

yea it's going in the same location as the stock tank, there is a few decent pictures out there but the owners no longer post on CF so it's difficult too track down the cells they are talking about.... thankfully there are some half decent instructions on how too mount and braces that they made for extra protection
Old 12-05-2015, 01:40 PM
L98Justin
Pro

gonna run a fuel gauge in my center console cup holder(if you wanna call it that lol) 0-90ohm too the sender unit... probably gonna us a 8 gallon cell with 12.5W x 15L x 10H.. just gotta figure out how what too do with a filler neck height wise so i can use the stock location
Old 12-06-2015, 02:19 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's my fuel cell set up. The tank holds about 10 gallons. The pics don't show it, there are brackets on the inside that bolt the fuel cell to the frame inside the car. So it's bolted to the frame front and rear.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:50 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
Here's my fuel cell set up. The tank holds about 10 gallons. The pics don't show it, there are brackets on the inside that bolt the fuel cell to the frame inside the car. So it's bolted to the frame front and rear.

Hey TPI421, i saw your pictures on google, and i read the thread you started... did you happen too find out the part number on that 10gallon fuel cell??? The pictures on google have a good view of the brackets did you make the brackets?
Old 12-07-2015, 01:02 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Justin
Hey TPI421, i saw your pictures on google, and i read the thread you started... did you happen too find out the part number on that 10gallon fuel cell??? The pictures on google have a good view of the brackets did you make the brackets?
It's all custom made. There are no part numbers.
The following users liked this post:
L98Justin (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 02:06 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
It's all custom made. There are no part numbers.
Dang oh well i guess i'm gonna settle with the 8 gallon then thanks for the pictures
Old 12-07-2015, 05:41 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Exotic Muscle used to sell a setup

I'd also contact Doug Rippie
Old 12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
L98Justin
Pro

hey TPI did your fuel cell have the fuel level sender in it? i read our gas gauge is 0-90ohm and the Cell i bought is 0-90, i wonder if i can wire them too work with my dash cluster gauge? what are your thoughts?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

I wish I had a better pic but when I did this stuff I was more concerned with getting done to go racing than documenting....

I welded tabs on my cell and built a cross bar to attach it at the front. I attached it to the rear bumper support/crash bar at the rear. You can see that there is lots of room to make the cell wider and taller/deeper than I have. Mine is 5 gallons.

Once you get the factory tank out you can get under there with a tape measure and figure out how tall and wide you want to make it then do the math and know how many gallons it will be. Fitting 15-20 gallon cell back there would be no problem.

These guys built my cell and will custom build to your dimensions.

http://www.rhodesracecars.com/Fuel-Cells_c_10461.html

Will
Old 12-08-2015, 06:52 PM
L98Justin
Pro

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I wish I had a better pic but when I did this stuff I was more concerned with getting done to go racing than documenting....

I welded tabs on my cell and built a cross bar to attach it at the front. I attached it to the rear bumper support/crash bar at the rear. You can see that there is lots of room to make the cell wider and taller/deeper than I have. Mine is 5 gallons.

Once you get the factory tank out you can get under there with a tape measure and figure out how tall and wide you want to make it then do the math and know how many gallons it will be. Fitting 15-20 gallon cell back there would be no problem.

These guys built my cell and will custom build to your dimensions.

http://www.rhodesracecars.com/Fuel-Cells_c_10461.html

Will
Will that looks fantastic, i was considering having a custom one made, i can't remember the exact dimensions of the stock tank though...

i just got a 8 gallon fuel cell, the car is weekend driven/autocrossed..

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Cell in C4

Quick Reply: Fuel Cell in C4