C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 vette intake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

So you still were unable to get the data to read properly hu? That stinks! Ill be done by next week so I am going to get back at it then. Hopefully ill get it finished up and the snow will melt some for me so I can test drive it. A lot of research still has to be done before I finish it tho. Need to learn how to do the EBL half of it as well as setting up fuel and the throttle body. But once I made some headway ill let you guys know!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP84
So you still were unable to get the data to read properly hu? That stinks! Ill be done by next week so I am going to get back at it then. Hopefully ill get it finished up and the snow will melt some for me so I can test drive it. A lot of research still has to be done before I finish it tho. Need to learn how to do the EBL half of it as well as setting up fuel and the throttle body. But once I made some headway ill let you guys know!
Ya, I was never able to get a proper data log. I spent hours and hours playing with settings on the computer's com port and tuner pro RT, replacing sensors on the car, adjusting the idle, checking voltages etc... All of that did significantly reduced the data errors but not enough to get a clean data log. It still ran well enough I could enjoy it over the summer but not the way it should. NO error codes at all, just won't data log properly so I'm not going to mess around anymore I'll just do it right and get EBL flash. Just have to have the time to do it!

look forward to seeing how your vette turns out.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 10-31-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP84
Hey all, so last night I was checking out my 86 harness while doing a little work to my 84 harness and had a question about the way the fuel injectors are wired. With all the power wires grouped together and ground wires grouped together for each bank it would seem like the injectors would fire more times than needed. Like 4 times more than needed. I was thinking that each would have their own individual ground to allow them to fire individually but that's not the case I guess.
Can any one explain why its like this?
They call it Batch Fire, and the injectors squirt either twice per revolution, or every other. I can't remember exactly, and the EBL website seems to be down at the moment. I wouldn't worry about it anyway, with the EBL you can adjust your dwell time anyway. If it matters, I have a TPI motor running on a 7747 (TBI) ECM with no change to the programming. It sounds good but I haven't driven it yet.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Yep, TPI cars were batch fire. I don't think sequencal injection was introduced until 93' or 94' ( not sure exactly). From what I have read sequencial gives slightly better fuel economy but gives virtually no performance gain so proabbly best to just leave the car as a batch fire. If I'm not mistaken EBL flash is setup for 'batch fire' so it should all work out fine.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
MikeP84
Racer

thanks for the replay 64Scout and yes after some research and help on here I came to the same conclusion about the batch fire. As DMITTZ stated the sequential injection adds a little better fuel economy with very minimal power gains. If I were to take a guess, id say it sequential fuel injection was introduced with the introduction of OBD2. And you are correct Dmittz, the EBL Flash is batch fire, however dynamic efi does sell other ECMs that are capable of sequential. For my application I wouldn't dare converting it over to sequential, no point.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:47 PM
JoBy
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

The real performance benefit from sequential is when using big injectors, like 120 lbs. When the injectors open and close they induce fuel pressure fluctuations. Eight 80 lbs injectors in sequential will induce the same or less pressure fluctuations than eight 20 lbs injectors running batch 4+4.
The following users liked this post:
MikeP84 (11-05-2017)
Old 01-08-2018, 03:19 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Hey all, I know it has been awhile sense I have posted on here but I have been making some headway and wanted to update you guys. Heads torn apart and cleaned. I also tried to polish the bowls a little and clean up some of the sharp casting lines around the valve seats. Got them back on the block and ran the rest of the engine harness. Still have some connectors that I need to shorten and clean up. I have also been playing with my EBL Flash / Tunerpro a little and getting it ready. A big thanks to RWDsmoke for sending me his tune. It looks a lot nicer than some of the other stock tunes that come with the EBL Flash. Not to say there is anything wrong with them. I will be taking a few days off soon so I should have more progress to report.

Last edited by MikeP84; 01-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:45 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Nice job cleaning up the heads. I look forward to seeing how the EBL flash works.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Thank you, if you or others wanted I could probably download a screen recording thing on my laptop so you could watch a video of how it all kind of works to give you a better idea. I have tried to look up YouTube videos but there isn't any good ones.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:54 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Hey guys little update, spent the good part of today wiring in the passenger injectors, ls1 map sensor, and fixing some cracked coolant temp sensor wires. Wired the injectors in backwards so I had to cut them out and rewire them also had to figure out which of the old map sensor wires connected to which of the new ls1 map sensor. An adaptor connector would have made it easy but more money. I wired my injectors a little bit different than stock to reduce the amount of wires. Let me know what you guys think of this. Here's a few pics. More progress tomorrow!

Last edited by MikeP84; 01-16-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Nice looking intake and good job figuring out the wiring so far. I'm stoked to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the update.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Got a little more work done. Reinstalled the oil pressure sensor and w.w. motor as well as the fuel pump relay and other relay that is right in front of it. Some how I ended up with about a foot of extra wire for the two relays and one of the connectors needed replacing so I spent a good bit of time will all of that. Nerve racking shortening wires in that back area as there isn't much room.

I was about an inch too long but better to have a little extra then not enough. I also finished up wiring the drivers side injectors as well as tucking wires and attaching ls1 style TPS/IAC. I have a little more wiring to do and then I will move onto fuel lines and finishing things up. Although I need ya'lls help! I still have to wire in the IAT sensor but I do not know which pin/wire needs to be power and ground. If any of you know please let me know!

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Also what is your opinion about permanent wire fix methods. And by that I mean soldering with heat shrink or??
Old 01-23-2018, 02:01 AM
MikeP84
Racer

Hey all, making some more progress. Finished up fixing the ground wires and reconnecting them all. Shortened up the alternator wire and cleaned up the alternator regulator wires as well. Reinstalled drivers side header and spark plug. Also reinstalled A/C bracket without A/C pump. Might look into a different water pump to be able to completely remove this bracket or find a replacement pulley. Will be ordering fuel fittings and an adjustable heim bracket soon. Also have been looking for a location to mount the ignition coil. Think I have found a nice location just to the passenger side of the distributor but I'm not sure yet. If I do, I will have to build a bracket it to hold the coil pack. Let me know what you guys think (pic coming soon). I am getting very close to completion. For anyone who wants to do a similar swap to their 84, its not as hard as I'm making it seem

Also I installed my new small cap distributor and there seems to be horizontal movement. Is this normal???

Last edited by MikeP84; 01-23-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Small update. Throttle cable bracket does not want to work like it should. With it in place it interferes with fuel rails. Might just cut the kick down/cruse control tab off and keep it in case as I don't have cruse control hooked up. Replace a non waterproof connector with waterproof one. Shortened battery cable about a foot. Not sure how I ended up with so much extra. Unfortunately while shortening cable I broke off one of the resistor wire so I will have to replace them. I wanted to wait to replace them until the car was on a lift. Guess ill do it now! More updates to come.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the update, keep up the good work.

I can't say I have ever noticed any horizontal movement in my distributor before..You may want to double check that it is properly seated and the correct length etc. I would be concerned that any movement/play could effect the timing, but I have not used that particular type of small cap distrbutor before...
Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What size is that throttle body. Is that a 90mm? I have the same one on my LS swap
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To 84 vette intake upgrade

Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Thanks DMITTZ, I don't recall ever having movement in my old distributor either but I checked and there was the same amount. I also checked the length of new one and it is the same length.

Randy, thank you for the replay. Yes it is a 90mm

I have looked up different fusible links and it appears there are two types. Replaceable style that have a fuse and non replaceable that are wire. I would like to replace mine with the wire style as I don't suspect ill ever have to replace the fuses and I don't want to deal with the extra mass of having 3 fuses down by my headers.

Last edited by MikeP84; 01-30-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:40 PM
MikeP84
Racer

So napa luckily had the style of fusible link that I wanted. I needed two 16gag and one 12gag but they only had two 16 and one 14. I will replace the 12 with the 14 and hope it holds. It should burn out faster than the 12. If it does burn out then I will replace it with a 12. I will get them all attached tomorrow!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:19 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Take a look at the 3001 tune, it has a decent timing table, and a bunch of very good sa-latency settings.
it was a pretty close match to the dui spark module i have, and it really woke my car up...
i have a bunch of timing tables as well somewhere...
Pretty much i dug around and found a bunch of different spark maps for different uears of vettes.

So far my car seems happy with an sa map from an 89 vette...
might change as i get things dialed in.
lots of fun tinkering with the program...

but yeah... Sa latency.
I'm about 99% sure its the 3001 tune, i think that tune was from rbobs personal camaro...
i found much of it was a perfect match for my CFI build... So be careful..

Quick Reply: 84 vette intake upgrade