C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 vette intake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:14 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you very much, hopefully it will help others who want to do something similar with their 84s. Now time to replace rack & pinion, power steering pump, costume exhaust, rims and paint!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

TurnOne did mu 84 Z51 rack, i really wanted to keep the 2.0 ratio, and not much was available.

Also chatting with other rebuilders, they did not do a thing with the cause of the morning sickness these early vettes get.

Turnone actually bored the rack out and sleeved it.

Other rebuilders never returned my calls or emails once i started asking details about the service...
seems most just do seals and the basics, not touching the real issue.

​​​​​​​Just an fyi when you get there.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:16 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Originally Posted by Gibbles
TurnOne did mu 84 Z51 rack, i really wanted to keep the 2.0 ratio, and not much was available.

Also chatting with other rebuilders, they did not do a thing with the cause of the morning sickness these early vettes get.

Turnone actually bored the rack out and sleeved it.

Other rebuilders never returned my calls or emails once i started asking details about the service...
seems most just do seals and the basics, not touching the real issue.

​​​​​​​Just an fyi when you get there.
Thank you, I was wondering about who does good rebuilds and if I can just buy a new one or not. I will have to do some research on it.

Well I did another pull and hit my rev limiter that I have set at 6k rpm. Will probably have to turn it up a little as the car still had more left in it! Impressive improvement over stock that's for sure. According to my data log I will need new bigger fuel injectors as they are above the 80-90 range. However I thought that with the newer fuel injection system I would get around the same if not better fuel economy as before but it seems like I may have been very wrong. Not sure if it is reading wrong or if there is anything I can do to improve the hwy mpg but I hope it goes up. I liked my 25mpg that I was getting before!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Check the data logs, if your injector duty cycle is not very high, there should be some room to play with.

Try emailing rbob, or post in the thirdgen forum under the diy prom.

The creator of the ebl is very active there.

I had to tweak my injector settings for the 80lb i have in my modded CFI setup.

Off of the top of my head i can't remeber the setting, but the one you calculate using the ebl utility tool can be tweaked to increase fueling by telling the ranges where your maximg out ve, by raising the numbers.

Also if you have not gotten there, ctrl + mouse drag in the 3d screens to rotate the view.
It took me way too long to find that. Lol

There is also a setting "sa latency"
there is a thread on thethirdgen forum that explains it.

I was using a truck setting on mine, once i found the correct one, my car really woke up.

I also found a bunch of different factory vette sa tables, google + lots of trial and error with the correct decoder files...

My car is pretty happy with a table from an 89 with my aluminum heads.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:41 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Thanks, my duty cycle from 2nd to 3rd is above 100%, think I saw it top out at 107. It definitely runs strong but I will be messing with fueling and spark tables to see if I can get it dialed in a little more and maybe improve my mpg.

Yes Bob is quick to replay threw emails and I see him often on thirdgen. I will look on there this afternoon to see if I can find any new information to help improve performance and mpg. Just takes time researching, learning, testing, watching logs and adjusting. But ill keep at it!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:53 PM
dave_85
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job! I did that intake on my 85 but it didn't fit under the hood with the LS throttle body so I made an adapter for the TPI TB.

Last edited by dave_85; 07-17-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 PM
MikeP84
Racer

Thank you and your build looks very nice as well! The only clearance issues I have is with the throttle cable bracket and the air filter that I'm using. Neither are to bad though.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM
marksp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, does anyone know what happened to Joby's old Offy setup? I owned it for awhile and sold it in 2009. I never got a chance to play with it, my vette was totaled while pumping gas so I unloaded it.

Quick Reply: 84 vette intake upgrade