C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 4+3 Restoration Thread (With Pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
why were 2 trucks parked in the middle of the road,,and you wernt speeding -were you?
I wasn't speeding. I was doing 50 down a hill (coasting in neutral, actually) and went around a blind corner. My tires are crap and my brakes locked up and I skidded, it was like I was on ice.

I got out of the car and the guy got up in my face screaming at me...thought he was going to hit me but another guy calmed him down. He was still yelling "F*ck you" as they loaded me in the ambulance though.

I will probably hold out for a manual...seriously, anyone selling one? As soon as I get insurance money I'm going to be looking for one.

That said, I'm happy no one else was injured and my baby girl is ok, and that's the most important thing. It sucks, but the car can be replaced.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:18 PM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Glad you are ok!!!

I did a fair amount of reading about swapping in a manual and it's a pretty intense and expensive exercise. I wanted to put a t5 in mine but quickly lost my appetite for it when I read some threads on what's involved. I am holding out for a manual on my next one too.

I HIGHLY recommended the c5 brake upgrade. It's cheap a huge improvement over the early c4 brakes. Still have to have good tires to do the stopping but it works.

We're your tires old or just worn out? The ones that came on mine had tons of tread but we're 12 plus years old and the rubber was hard as a rock. It felt like I was on ice under braking and would spin the wheels under minimal acceleration. I didn't realize till I changed them. I just thought it was the car!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Silver85
Glad you are ok!!!

I did a fair amount of reading about swapping in a manual and it's a pretty intense and expensive exercise. I wanted to put a t5 in mine but quickly lost my appetite for it when I read some threads on what's involved. I am holding out for a manual on my next one too.

I HIGHLY recommended the c5 brake upgrade. It's cheap a huge improvement over the early c4 brakes. Still have to have good tires to do the stopping but it works.

We're your tires old or just worn out? The ones that came on mine had tons of tread but we're 12 plus years old and the rubber was hard as a rock. It felt like I was on ice under braking and would spin the wheels under minimal acceleration. I didn't realize till I changed them. I just thought it was the car!
the tires were old. At least 5 Year’s old. And they were Walmart trash to begin with. And no tread. I could break them free on dry roads with little trouble.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

What a bummer. The most important thing is that you're ok.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Too bad about the car, glad that your wounds where not too serious. The awful part is how the other party reacted when they where clearly at fault. Hopefully you have a speedy/complete recovery.

I didn't think a manual swap into an auto car was too bad with these older cars. I've done a few manual swaps into a new diesel pickups, the swap is easy. Getting the computer to accept and function like a manual vehicle is a different story.

Probably the worst thing is making a support on the transmission trail housing for the C beam to hook-up to. For me its about 1 to 2 hours of work, it give you a chance to use your welding skills. The Tko-500 will fit into the floor tunnel. I want a tremec t-56 in my car, still on the fence for that one. My 700R isn't that bad, mine shifts pretty firmly. A 2500 rpm stall into it and a constant pressure valve body would do wonders for it.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:47 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

So sorry to hear about the car, good that you're okay! You'll have another car before you know it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:13 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
So sorry to hear about the car, good that you're okay! You'll have another car before you know it.
Turns out you were right! Drove out to North Carolina yesterday with my brother in law and brought back this car. Single owner and complete, there are only a few minor issues to sort out (wipers don’t work, AC doesn’t blow cold). Paint need some love as well, clear is peeling in places.

Engine runs great, I don’t foresee many mechanical issues. She made a 7 hour drive in 85 degree heat-if there was going to be a problem I think it would have come up then. Everything is original on the car, 84K miles. I’ll share more as I get more into this project.

EDIT: forgot to mention, she’s a 1985 4+3 just like previous car, just with different color.

Last edited by Bfenty; 09-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

My first issue to fix! Here goes:

My radio's clock runs slower than real time. As in, it takes longer than a minute for the clock to go up a minute. I've started a separate thread for this issue here.

Last edited by Bfenty; 09-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Mavinwy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are OK, and that you ended up with another car you like. They are always replaceable....people are not.

Mav
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

On an embarrassing note, I joined the FRC while picking up this car. It was missing one of the bolts to secure the roof, but I thought that it would be ok. Turns out it wasn't. I probably didn't get one of the other ones secured tightly enough.

Aggravating, but nothing to be done for it now except to fix it. Luckily, the car also came with the transparent top. I've always wanted to learn how to do car paint, anyway...so I guess this is a good opportunity!

Quick Reply: 1985 4+3 Restoration Thread (With Pics!)