C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

inside the lt1 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:12 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default inside the lt1 muffler

I just cut mine off to do the usual aftermarket change to get a little volume at idle. In looking down the inside of these huge heavy things I cant help but wonder how restrictive they are. I know on this forum the talk is about how unrestrictive the lt1 exhaust is so Im very curious how these are engineered.. did a bunch of searching.. nothing.

Anyone willing to cut one open? I really want to see.
The following users liked this post:
KrK96Vette (09-18-2022)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

The factory LT1 exhaust is unrestrictive, when you consider that it is very effective at reducing engine noise. Being so quiet, it's fairly amazing how well the stock system flows. However I do not agree with the blanket statement that the factory exhaust is unrestrictive -- just look at the manifolds. But it does a great job of balancing flow vs noise reduction vs cost.

I put on brand new OEM mufflers in place of the eliminators that were on the car (sounded great outside the car, but inside the drone was horrible). So there is no way I am going to cut mine open, I love the low rumble of my stock exhaust. Hopefully we will find someone with an extra can and a sawzall, I'm also curious to see inside.

Last edited by DGXR; 03-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DGXR
The factory LT1 exhaust is unrestrictive, when you consider that it is very effective at reducing engine noise. Being so quiet, it's fairly amazing how well the stock system flows. However I do not agree with the blanket statement that the factory exhaust is unrestrictive -- just look at the manifolds. But it does a great job of balancing flow vs noise reduction vs cost.

I put on brand new OEM mufflers in place of the eliminators that were on the car (sounded great outside the car, but inside the drone was horrible). So there is no way I am going to cut mine open, I love the low rumble of my stock exhaust. Hopefully we will find someone with an extra can and a sawzall, I'm also curious to see inside.
Yes, I really hope we can get a photo..it would help me designing a drone blocker.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Yes, I really hope we can get a photo..it would help me designing a drone blocker.
1/4 Wave resonators?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:41 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
1/4 Wave resonators?
Im working on baffles.. not clue what Im doing but that is half the fun. If I could see what GM did inside it might inspire me.. Im going to provide a nice write up in a new thread when all is done and also sound clips from NXT mufflers on a LT1.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott442

I wish I never removed them. this explains a lot. I can see how they did the anti drone.... I wish I could just have pulled the batting out to give it more volume.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:39 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Im guessing that small diameter pipe is what handles the low frequency drone and cancels it.

Get notified of new replies

To inside the lt1 muffler

Quick Reply: inside the lt1 muffler