C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

pke issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM
country1955
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pke issue

so I hope I am doing this right, only second time posting question. the first time I posted I got the right anwer to a question I don't I ever would have fiqured out by myself or from anyone else for that matter so her goes.

I bought my first vette last year. a 1996 collectors edition (whatever that means). I love the car but as we all know, they , like ANY car have there issues but coming from a British car obsession and deal with the prince of darkness for several years I am right at home here..
this car allegedly has 18,000 miles on it . I don't know if that is true and I don't know how you can fudge such a think but whatever. I paid 12,000 bucks for it and it appears to be" all there."

so my issue of the day is my PASSIVE KEY ENTRY pke. I know, what a surprise, they never malfunction!
the car came with the FOB on the floor out of its case. no battery. thanks to this awesome forum, I got Bree Millers name and email and contacted her and contrary to my current string of bad luck in general, she responded and not only said she is still at it but said send them along. judging from her email, she is one smart lady.
here is a brief description of what is going on:

when I try to engage pke system I get nothing. nada. if I pull pke fuse and reinstall it , steady PKE light comes on in the DIC.
I follow the procedure to start programming sequence. and yes, I do it right. I have done it fifteen times. same thing happens. nothing.
pke light just stays on and steady. after a while it goes out and will not come back on unless fuse is pulled and put back..
doors are closed when I do this and no door ajar warning lite is on. also remote is way out of the area. I think I have a bad pke module but I don't know and really do not want to go into taking the dash cover off if I don't have to but I'm fine with if I have s to.
judging from what Bree says in her email. there is a lot that can go wrong with one of these little buggers. when I do pull it I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't find "lucas" logo on it.
so that's it folks. it is obviously not a FOB issue because I cant even get it to go into program mode.
anybody have any ideas for a newbie?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The PKE light is really controlled be the micro-processor in the PKE module and really is not affected by external inputs and connections to the module. If the light stays on upon power up the module is bad. The 2 second test cycle when the key is turned to ON is strictly controlled the chips in the module and not the door locks, CCM or any other connections and have nothing to do with the initial test.

If the 2 second test was OK and you could not program it, than other things could be checked but you are not at that point.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by country1955
so I hope I am doing this right, only second time posting question. the first time I posted I got the right anwer to a question I don't I ever would have fiqured out by myself or from anyone else for that matter so her goes.

I bought my first vette last year. a 1996 collectors edition (whatever that means). I love the car but as we all know, they , like ANY car have there issues but coming from a British car obsession and deal with the prince of darkness for several years I am right at home here..
this car allegedly has 18,000 miles on it . I don't know if that is true and I don't know how you can fudge such a think but whatever. I paid 12,000 bucks for it and it appears to be" all there."

so my issue of the day is my PASSIVE KEY ENTRY pke. I know, what a surprise, they never malfunction!
the car came with the FOB on the floor out of its case. no battery. thanks to this awesome forum, I got Bree Millers name and email and contacted her and contrary to my current string of bad luck in general, she responded and not only said she is still at it but said send them along. judging from her email, she is one smart lady.
here is a brief description of what is going on:

when I try to engage pke system I get nothing. nada. if I pull pke fuse and reinstall it , steady PKE light comes on in the DIC.
I follow the procedure to start programming sequence. and yes, I do it right. I have done it fifteen times. same thing happens. nothing.
pke light just stays on and steady. after a while it goes out and will not come back on unless fuse is pulled and put back..
doors are closed when I do this and no door ajar warning lite is on. also remote is way out of the area. I think I have a bad pke module but I don't know and really do not want to go into taking the dash cover off if I don't have to but I'm fine with if I have s to.
judging from what Bree says in her email. there is a lot that can go wrong with one of these little buggers. when I do pull it I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't find "lucas" logo on it.
so that's it folks. it is obviously not a FOB issue because I cant even get it to go into program mode.
anybody have any ideas for a newbie?
Please clarify, are you saying that the PKE light is off, you do the programming procedure, hold down the FUEL INFO button, and the PKE light comes on, but does not start blinking when you bring the fob close? That would mean that it did go into programming mode. If that is the case, your PKE module in the car sounds fine and the fob is suspect.

If you are saying that the PKE light comes on when you turn the key on and just stays on, then it sounds like you have failed PKE module.

Last edited by markKlein; 08-21-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To pke issue

Quick Reply: pke issue