C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjustable Split Thread Chasers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adjustable Split Thread Chasers

Fellow Vetters:

I need to chase the threads on my C4’s lower ball joint. Do any of you know if an adjustable split thread chaser can be “opened” and slid down to the bold shoulder, then backed off to rethread the top portion of the bolt? I cannot get a standard die to catch the threads, even after using a thread file on it

Thanks in advance!

SnorT91Man
Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

would you ever really trust it, even if you could get "some" thread back? i don't think i would to be honest
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Thread file or a thread chaser. Thread chaser is like a worn out die. It's threads are and pitch is slightly larger than a die of same size.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 540 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by bud40oz
would you ever really trust it, even if you could get "some" thread back? i don't think i would to be honest
The Chicken Little syndrome strikes again. What exactly is there not to trust?
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 PM
bud40oz
Racer

Originally Posted by arbee
The Chicken Little syndrome strikes again. What exactly is there not to trust?
ummmmm.. i don't know let's see.. lower ball joint stripped threads. for one how is it ever going to get tight enough to hold the control arm on let alone seat it properly.. sounds like a case of ford to me... found on roadside dead.. but hey live life on the edge man... its only a ball joint not like it holds ur frikin tire on or anything. crank it up to 100 n see how many rolls you do when the tire /control arm comes off ... HOLD MA BEER!

a ball joint is what? 40 bucks or so? a thread chaser to fix a screw up threads for 20? just buy a new ball joint n be done with it

Last edited by bud40oz; 04-23-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

ummmmm.. i don't know let's see.. lower ball joint stripped threads. for one how is it ever going to get tight enough to hold the control arm on let alone seat it properly.. sounds like a case of ford to me... found on roadside dead.. but hey live life on the edge man... its only a ball joint not like it holds ur frikin tire on or anything. crank it up to 100 n see how many rolls you do when the tire /control arm comes off ... HOLD MA BEER!

a ball joint is what? 40 bucks or so? a thread chaser to fix a screw up threads for 20? just buy a new ball joint n be done with it
This post had me laughing my *** off.

Agreed tho, I'd slam a new ball joint in before I'd spend 3 hours trying to fix the threads on a ball joint. I did the lowers and uppers on my car in like 2 hours total. The longest part was drilling out the rivets
Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
This post had me laughing my *** off.
looks like ronnie redneck is alive and kickin'. but i agree, don't know how many years/miles on the current ball joints, so it's a no brainer to put in new ones. i prefer moog's.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:47 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

You need to come in off the porch of your mobile home. The bright sun must be affecting your sister's eyesight when she's reading for you. The op stated the "top portion" of the threads which would hint that after starting the nut, there is no problem.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:53 PM
bud40oz
Racer

to each there own i suppose,.. you did ask why i felt that way and i tried to explain it.. if it was just the top of the thread, cut it off with a die grinder cut off wheel. that would of took me about maybe 5 minutes to do.. so i "assumed" it was more like 1/4- 1/2 thread just all shiny silver.
did not intend to offend anyone. sorry i have a sense of humor, i will button that last button on my shirt before i post again..

PS maybe it is you who should have the sis read for you, he clearly said slide it down to the SHOULDER....... and move it back towards the top portion.... shoulder means bottom of the thread

Last edited by bud40oz; 04-23-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

to each there own i suppose,.. you did ask why i felt that way and i tried to explain it.. if it was just the top of the thread, cut it off with a die grinder cut off wheel. that would of took me about maybe 5 minutes to do.. so i "assumed" it was more like 1/4- 1/2 thread just all shiny silver.
did not intend to offend anyone. sorry i have a sense of humor, i will button that last button on my shirt before i post again..

PS maybe it is you who should have the sis read for you, he clearly said slide it down to the SHOULDER....... and move it back towards the top portion.... shoulder means bottom of the thread
Are you fkn kidding me? OF COURSE that's what he said and needs to do! Do you think it's possible that since any chaser would resemble a nut and probably be around 1" deep that he needs to get it low enough to get BELOW the damage?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 PM
bud40oz
Racer

right, you are really not worth arguing with, i kind of have a feeling you have never even seen a ball joint or replaced one so .. good day.. i'm out
Old 04-23-2019, 11:25 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

right, you are really not worth arguing with, i kind of have a feeling you have never even seen a ball joint or replaced one so .. good day.. i'm out
Perfect. Some souls have such a time comprehending the written word. Just so it makes you happy, I do distress over not being able to lay claim to the grand title of "Ball Joint Replacer" such as yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable Split Thread Chasers

Quick Reply: Adjustable Split Thread Chasers