C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best optispark?

Old 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM
96LT4_CE
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best optispark?

I know this has been discussed a million times but I need to know what the best optispark is to go with currently. Pretty sure mine us bad. Skipping at high rpm. Multiple misfire. Poor mpg. I already checked the fuel pressure and it's all good. I planned on replacing it this summer anyways.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LT4_CE
I know this has been discussed a million times but I need to know what the best optispark is to go with currently. Pretty sure mine us bad. Skipping at high rpm. Multiple misfire. Poor mpg. I already checked the fuel pressure and it's all good. I planned on replacing it this summer anyways.
most answers you're going to get on this board are going to be "get a reman from dis guy on ebay with a 25yr old optical sensor".

Whatever you buy get a good warranty.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:52 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Yea, dis guy can help you...optidoctor search here or ebay. Contact him direct, it's cheaper than buying through ebay...BTW his name is Brad

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...thumbs-up.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...thumbs-up.html

Last edited by vette196; 05-23-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Do not forget the water pump and zerex g30 anti freeze and special thermostat for the LT1 engine only
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I know this has been discussed a million times but I need to know what the best optispark is to go with currently.
WE DON'T KNOW.

Get the one with the best warranty.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

I just installed a Petris Optispark bought from ZIP for my GrandSport. Finished the install last night and the car starts and sounds good. I am going for a ride today to see if my misfires are finally gone!
I also replaced the plug wires yet again, but this time I purchased Taylor 8mm Universal set (73251) and purchased the Opti Distributor boots (46052) separately (boots were a real pain to install but they are very secure and worked well in the end). I cut the wires and loomed them around my headers, they are no longer stuffed behind the power steering pump the way the factory did it.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 859 Posts

I’ve been running the Petri’s opti for 2 years now. Been running perfect.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Now THAT"S good to know
Old 05-24-2019, 03:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Now THAT"S good to know
Eh.

I went 5 years on a NAPA unit.

Currently at 2 years on a Sac City one.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:20 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
WE DON'T KNOW.

Get the one with the best warranty.

Sure, if you dont mind being broken down on the side of the road, with cars whizzing past, like having your car unavailable for a week or more as you wait on another made in china replacement, and then ruining a weekend day replacing it.

how about just get the optisparks that are reliable and dont break? Thats the OEM ones or optidoctor ones w/ mitsubishi optical sensor.

For those that will say ‘my oem one broke at 25000 miles, as mine did’ - yes the 92-94 had a design flaw that is easily corrected by adding a vent. Once added its a reliable setup

a long warranty is just a band-aid for a manufacturer to sell a product with an unreliable reputation.

except the warranty never covers the tow, inconvenience and labor costs :wink
Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM
jph46
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Same here on it's 3rd year,great customer support?..
Old 05-25-2019, 11:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Sure, if you dont mind being broken down on the side of the road, with cars whizzing past, like having your car unavailable for a week or more as you wait on another made in china replacement, and then ruining a weekend day replacing it.
Geeezus, Aklim. Holy cow...the fear has got a grip on you, doesn't it? Yikes.

I've not seen enough evidence of the success of the opti doc...although it's looking good so far. As for the rest of your made-up reasons...I don't live my life, governed by fear, so I wouldn't know.
The following users liked this post:
arbee (05-26-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:50 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I think you need to do more diagnostics before you dive into this. I doubt it's your opti. Your symptoms could be a bad high-res signal from the sensor. However, this should throw a CEL with a DTC code that will tell you with certainty. Also, if I recall correctly this won't manifest from a cold start - it only happens once the engine is in closed-loop mode. If those things are not happening, then something else is probably the cause.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:23 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Skipping at high RPM can be the Optispark. I had this happen with no codes. I replaced the Optispark and my high RPM misfires went away completely. It pulls to redline easily now. I also had an issue where when I turned on the Air Conditioner the idle would drop and the engine would almost stall.
The Optispark fixed this as well. It also cleaned up my idle in general.
My Optispark had a bad bearing and the disc was bent hitting the optical sensor.
To me it is unbelievable that an OBD2 car didn't set a code for this. But it can happen!
Exhaust all possibilities first before replacing the Optispark.
I replaced my Coil, ICM (if you have an LT4 use a Borg Warner CBE122 or else you will get an engine light), Plugs, Wires were new but I rechecked them, MAF clean the wires with electronic contact cleaner, Fuel pressure, Vacuum lines, etc.
Good luck!

Last edited by grandspt; 05-28-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grandspt
Skipping at high RPM can be the Optispark. I had this happen with no codes. I replaced the Optispark and my high RPM misfires went away completely. It pulls to redline easily now. I also had an issue where when I turned on the Air Conditioner the idle would drop and the engine would almost stall.
The Optispark fixed this as well. It also cleaned up my idle in general.
My Optispark had a bad bearing and the disc was bent hitting the optical sensor.
To me it is unbelievable that an OBD2 car didn't set a code for this. But it can happen!
That's a good point. If the problem is the Opti's bearing, then it would make sense that these things are happening and maybe not throwing a code. If it's bad enough to interfere with the actual cap and rotor operation, then it won't throw a code. Possibly ditto if the disk is hitting the sensor, as it would recover the signal for part of every rotation...I guess. Anyway, it's not that it can't be the Opti - just that the OP should really do his diagnostic homework before diving into that job, especially if it's an original OE unit on his car.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
That's a good point. If the problem is the Opti's bearing, then it would make sense that these things are happening and maybe not throwing a code. If it's bad enough to interfere with the actual cap and rotor operation, then it won't throw a code. Possibly ditto if the disk is hitting the sensor, as it would recover the signal for part of every rotation...I guess. Anyway, it's not that it can't be the Opti - just that the OP should really do his diagnostic homework before diving into that job, especially if it's an original OE unit on his car.
MatthewMiller I totally agree with you and don't take me wrong about the other posts they are all good recommendations. Always exhaust all other possibilities before changing out that damn Optispark because it is not a fun job.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

The two opti's I've had that failed, the both failed gradually (gave me plenty of warning) but never generated a code. He first one would break up at high RPM first, too. Still, you can prove it before replacing parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Best optispark?

Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

The two opti's I've had that failed, the both failed gradually (gave me plenty of warning) but never generated a code. He first one would break up at high RPM first, too. Still, you can prove it before replacing parts.
That's good info. How did you diagnose that when it occurred at just high RPM? Does it show up somehow on a data log? Also, when breaking up at high RPM would it do the infamous tach-bounce thing too?

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 05-28-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

The tach needle would bounce during high end misfire. It was obvious, too.

It was also heat related and as time went on, the hotter it got, the lower the RPM the miss would start. I covered it all, RIGHT HERE with pics and vid.

The second failure, it would just stop running, randomly, as if you turned the key off. A few minutes later, it would start and drive away w/no issues. NOT heat related. I could prove that one easily w/my scan tool hooked up. One day driving to work, it did the symptom. Car was in gear, engine spinning. Tack read zero. Hi Res "0". Low Res, "0". No CEL b/c the engine just doesn't "think" or "know" that it's still spinning. Details, HERE
Old 05-28-2019, 03:55 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

The tach needle would bounce during high end misfire. It was obvious, too.

It was also heat related and as time went on, the hotter it got, the lower the RPM the miss would start. I covered it all, RIGHT HERE with pics and vid.

The second failure, it would just stop running, randomly, as if you turned the key off. A few minutes later, it would start and drive away w/no issues. NOT heat related. I could prove that one easily w/my scan tool hooked up. One day driving to work, it did the symptom. Car was in gear, engine spinning. Tack read zero. Hi Res "0". Low Res, "0". No CEL b/c the engine just doesn't "think" or "know" that it's still spinning. Details, HERE
grndspt, ^^^ here are your next diagnostic moves! Let us know what you find out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best optispark?