Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Renegade Intake

Old 06-29-2019, 07:03 PM
GregMartin
CF Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 View Post
Toss that my way when you get a chance... I'm eventually going to order another one.
Haha
i just checked I purchased mine from Ecklers. The decision was based purely on price I paid $585 and with shipping it worked out the best for me. Maybe Ecklers checks quality before shipping but I doubt it.

And yeah I think you should. They are a good design and work well.

Last edited by GregMartin; 06-29-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:22 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by GregMartin View Post
Haha
i just checked I purchased mine from Ecklers. The decision was bast purely on price I paid $585 and with shipping it worked out the best for me. Maybe Ecklers checks quality before shipping but I doubt it.
Don't even get me started with that effing company. I had a two year war with them from the day I installed the freaking thing. One of the last emails I received from them was their tech calling my car a piece of crap and to stack washers on the thermostat housing and gob ir with rtv to stop the leak because the thing was machined wrong. I only use summit now. I begged for an exchange and they said the best they could do was for me to ship it back and they would determine if there were problems with it. Offered to pay a deposit to get one even iirc so that I wouldn't lose the car and they wouldn't do it. I've thought about buying another one and just returning the old one but I couldn't have that on my conscious...
Old 06-29-2019, 08:00 PM
GregMartin
CF Senior Member

Don't even get me started with that effing company. I had a two year war with them from the day I installed the freaking thing. One of the last emails I received from them was their tech calling my car a piece of crap and to stack washers on the thermostat housing and gob ir with rtv to stop the leak because the thing was machined wrong. I only use summit now. I begged for an exchange and they said the best they could do was for me to ship it back and they would determine if there were problems with it. Offered to pay a deposit to get one even iirc so that I wouldn't lose the car and they wouldn't do it. I've thought about buying another one and just returning the old one but I couldn't have that on my conscious...
Yeah Iím not really a fan of Ecklers either. And if youíve got a spare 2 hours I could bore you with the story of how it took Zip 7 months to agree that the fuel return line come in two sections and to send me the rear F$&@ing section of line.
Surely there must be somewhere in the US where you can buy descent corvette parts at a reasonable price with good service.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Yeah Iím not really a fan of Ecklers either. And if youíve got a spare 2 hours I could bore you with the story of how it took Zip 7 months to agree that the fuel return line come in two sections and to send me the rear F$&@ing section of line.
Surely there must be somewhere in the US where you can buy descent corvette parts at a reasonable price with good service.
I've only dealt with corvette central a hand full of times but they were pretty up front and reasonable. Mid america was good for the limited parts they offer too. Melrose is top notch from my understanding though. (Tops and exhaust)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:22 PM
GregMartin
CF Senior Member

I've only dealt with corvette central a hand full of times but they were pretty up front and reasonable. Mid america was good for the limited parts they offer too. Melrose is top notch from my understanding though. (Tops and exhaust)
Thatís good to know. The standard Chevy stuff is pretty easy. But as soon as you want some corvette specific parts then it time for the reaming to begin
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Thatís good to know. The standard Chevy stuff is pretty easy. But as soon as you want some corvette specific parts then it time for the reaming to begin
Corvette tax.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:21 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

One reason resale on these are low.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:32 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
One reason resale on these are low.
Early C5s too. The modules are NLA, coming from a friend who dumped his for that reason and that the shop broke his door panel. There were only 12 cars built with that color with that specific panel. Damn shame because the car was perfect.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Buccaneer
CF Senior Member

Received 168 Likes on 143 Posts

Just out of pure curiosity, did you receive an installation instructions document of any kind with your manifold? When we were shipping these out locally in the beginning and the machining was spot on "locally", we always sent a set of instructions or a guide if you will that was seven pages long on how to do it correctly and had all the suggested sealants to use and where to use them, gasket sizes to use, what the port holes were for and what to do with them depending on what you had as a setup and included what DCS shipped with the manifold including TB base gaskets screws etc... I was the one that put that document together and it was gone over a lot over time and refined. I'm WILLING to bet they don't supply that document. If not, that is a shame, since it explains everything in detail and it was created purposely for the novice installer, not just for the veteran installers. Could we cover every aspect that someone could or would encounter? No, absolutely not, but we did try and make a good document that would be very useful. It even recommends that if you are NOT proficient with installing a manifold, to seek professional help. If someone needs this document for an installation, send me mail at [email protected] and I'll shot it out to you. It will be the original DCS doc, NOT a XFire Performance document.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:43 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 1,164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

friend (orig owner)sold his 97 due to that also, car fell apart electronically. Cosmetically/mech real nice...sold it for 7k a few yrs ago.

Seeing real nice C5s now for well under 10k that are not high mi problems..even an 02 Z06 with 80k for 12k. Just dont trust any of them

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 06-30-2019 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
84 4+3 (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Just out of pure curiosity, did you receive an installation instructions document of any kind with your manifold? When we were shipping these out locally in the beginning and the machining was spot on "locally", we always sent a set of instructions or a guide if you will that was seven pages long on how to do it correctly and had all the suggested sealants to use and where to use them, gasket sizes to use, what the port holes were for and what to do with them depending on what you had as a setup and included what DCS shipped with the manifold including TB base gaskets screws etc... I was the one that put that document together and it was gone over a lot over time and refined. I'm WILLING to bet they don't supply that document. If not, that is a shame, since it explains everything in detail and it was created purposely for the novice installer, not just for the veteran installers. Could we cover every aspect that someone could or would encounter? No, absolutely not, but we did try and make a good document that would be very useful. It even recommends that if you are NOT proficient with installing a manifold, to seek professional help. If someone needs this document for an installation, send me mail at [email protected] and I'll shot it out to you. It will be the original DCS doc, NOT a XFire Performance document.
I got this One.

Your local guy want to custom build me a new manifold? I'll pay lol.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 06-30-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Buccaneer
CF Senior Member

I got this One.

Your local guy want to custom build me a new manifold? I'll pay lol.
Yep, that's it! Did you get that from DCS, EMS or Summit?

Funny you ask about that. I was just talking with my machinist recently and he asked me about the "G" code for the CNC for the Renegade and if he could delete it? I paniced and said HELL NO! Please back it up and give me a copy, you may need this in the future including the fixtures. Then we talked about some projects I want to do in relation to the manifold and machining etc... What did you have in mind? PM me.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:17 PM
GregMartin
CF Senior Member

I got your document with mine Tom. I think I got base gaskets. I also got the bag of nuts and bolts but it was one counter sunk set screw short, had way too many round head set screws and the supplied studs were really too short to be of much use. None of that was a big problem because I used old hardware were required, but I was surprised that such a detailed and well thought out document came with a loose assortment of nuts and bolts.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Yep, that's it! Did you get that from DCS, EMS or Summit?

Funny you ask about that. I was just talking with my machinist recently and he asked me about the "G" code for the CNC for the Renegade and if he could delete it? I paniced and said HELL NO! Please back it up and give me a copy, you may need this in the future including the fixtures. Then we talked about some projects I want to do in relation to the manifold and machining etc... What did you have in mind? PM me.
Mine was from ecklers sadly lol. But it was in the box.

PM sent.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Buccaneer
CF Senior Member

Mine was from ecklers sadly lol. But it was in the box.

PM sent.
After seeing that doc posted, I looked at mine again and saw that the one I have was newer. It did get refined as time went on, but I am glad you got something with it which is surprising in itself. I am sad that they cannot get their act together with the rest of the product though. It really pisses me off and it's like beating your head against a wall.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 07-01-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

After seeing that doc posted, I looked at mine again and saw that the one I have was newer. It did get refined as time went on, but I am glad you got something with it which is surprising in itself. I am sad that they cannot get their act together with the rest of the product though. It really pisses me off and it's like beating your head against a wall.
But it feels so good when you finally stop.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Buccaneer
CF Senior Member

But it feels so good when you finally stop.
Right! BTW... Thanks for the call and the chat. I'll see what I can do for you.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:53 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Right! BTW... Thanks for the call and the chat. I'll see what I can do for you.
Will do, thanks for the updates. Let me know how your project goes when you are getting close to revealing what it exactly is. looking forward to hearing about it more.

One thing quick, I sent you another PM because a thought crossed my mind a little while ago and I want to run it by you.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Buccaneer
CF Senior Member

Will do, thanks for the updates. Let me know how your project goes when you are getting close to revealing what it exactly is. looking forward to hearing about it more.

One thing quick, I sent you another PM because a thought crossed my mind a little while ago and I want to run it by you.
Saw it and replied.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Gibbles
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts

Take a good look at the intake runners where the egr goes underneath.
Mine had some serious casting flaws that i needed to clean up.
(Too much metal, and a ridge inside of the runner)

I also bought the polished version, i have been suspecting that the polishing was to salvage a bad casting.

Easy fix, and i opened the runners a tiny bit more while i was in there.

Also the polished version looks great, but it's nearly impossible to keep looking pretty with how often i drive the car.

Last edited by Gibbles; 07-04-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Renegade Intake

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: