C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Renegade Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gibbles

Take a good look at the intake runners where the egr goes underneath.
Mine had some serious casting flaws that i needed to clean up.
(Too much metal, and a ridge inside of the runner)

I also bought the polished version, i have been suspecting that the polishing was to salvage a bad casting.

Easy fix, and i opened the runners a tiny bit more while i was in there.

Also the polished version looks great, but it's nearly impossible to keep looking pretty with how often i drive the car.
Quite a bit of bling bling there
Old 07-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Looks pretty neat, but the fuel line going over the belt is a little worrisome. If that belt were to fly off or break, it could end up to be bad news in a hurry with a hot motor. It may be a picture perspective thing, but it does look like it is sticking way over that belt. Can you take a dead straight across pic? I guess I should probably already know this, but what motor is that and TBs?

Last edited by Buccaneer; 07-04-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

L83 with dual cfi tb.
The image looks worse than it is, mostly it was about where the fuel line is vs where the spark is..

I do have some space, but it is over the belt.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:31 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Looks pretty neat, but the fuel line going over the belt is a little worrisome. If that belt were to fly off or break, it could end up to be bad news in a hurry with a hot motor. It may be a picture perspective thing, but it does look like it is sticking way over that belt. Can you take a dead straight across pic? I guess I should probably already know this, but what motor is that and TBs?
Those 84 CFIs look quite a bit different than the 82s don't they?
Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gibbles
L83 with dual cfi tb.
The image looks worse than it is, mostly it was about where the fuel line is vs where the spark is..

I do have some space, but it is over the belt.
I can’t work out where to top radiator hose goes. My thermostat housing is at the front like most SBCs.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GregMartin
I can’t work out where to top radiator hose goes. My thermostat housing is at the front like most SBCs.
Thermostat housing is behind the regulator. His hose is disconnected.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Old 07-06-2019, 02:50 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
That explains it
Old 07-09-2019, 10:33 PM
James C4
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I disappeared for a bit. I had to compete at FBLA National Leadership Conference. I got the intake sent back and a new on is on the way. I bought it from Summit and it did come with a booklet although I did not look through it in much detail because my main focus was on the intake. I'll update the thread as things happen. Hopefully my new intake should be here by the end of the week but I get my wisdom teeth pulled Monday so it may be a bit before I get to do anything with it. I'm just really hoping I can get this thing done before I leave for school in August.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:39 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Originally Posted by James C4
Sorry I disappeared for a bit. I had to compete at FBLA National Leadership Conference. I got the intake sent back and a new on is on the way. I bought it from Summit and it did come with a booklet although I did not look through it in much detail because my main focus was on the intake. I'll update the thread as things happen. Hopefully my new intake should be here by the end of the week but I get my wisdom teeth pulled Monday so it may be a bit before I get to do anything with it. I'm just really hoping I can get this thing done before I leave for school in August.
You have time to do heads and a cam before August. If you can afford it I would mine goes like stink. Especially since I got the EBL Flash tune write.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
James C4
Instructor

@GregMartin If I had money for all of that then I would do it but unfortunately I have to save some money for new tires and insurance.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:57 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

@GregMartin If I had money for all of that then I would do it but unfortunately I have to save some money for new tires and insurance.
Yeah I get it. Little by little is a good strategy in that case. The renegade will wake it up which I’m sure will make you happy. Your lucky that you live in a time where performance parts for SBCs are soooo cheap and sooooo good.
I watched some of your videos the other day, good to see young people enjoying cool 😎 cars.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:51 PM
James C4
Instructor

@GregMartin Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the results of the Renegade and if SBC parts are cheap now I'd hate to have tried to buy them when they were expensive.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM
James C4
Instructor

So the second intake came in today and was just as bad as the first although this time the surface where the intake mates to the cylinder head wasn't machined smooth and had some ridges. Summit said they would send someone down to the warehouse to make sure they could send me a good one but I got a call back this afternoon saying they didn't have any good ones left. This whole deal is such a pain I kind of just want to leave the car how it is so I don't have to worry about anything.

Last edited by James C4; 07-11-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

So the second intake came in today and was just as bad as the first although this time the surface where the intake mates to the cylinder head wasn't machined smooth and had some ridges. Summit said they would send someone down to the warehouse to make sure they could send me a good one but I got a call back this afternoon saying they didn't have any good ones left. This whole deal is such a pain I kind of just want to leave the car how it is so I don't have to worry about anything.
At least summit is trying to take care of the situation unlike some other vendors. I guess they're coming out of the GA warehouse for you? Maybe ask them to check the other one if possible?
Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 PM
James C4
Instructor

@84 4+3 Both of the ones I've received have been from Texas and the customer support rep I talked to today said they were in Ohio.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

@84 4+3 Both of the ones I've received have been from Texas and the customer support rep I talked to today said they were in Ohio.
Huh. That sucks. Keep trying I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Renegade Intake

Old 07-12-2019, 01:26 AM
GregMartin
Drifting

Oh man what a shame. Maybe Summit can put some pressure on EMS to get a good one.
What a bummer sounds like you need to chase this on the phone until someone on the other end is looking at a good one.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:33 PM
James C4
Instructor

@GregMartin yeah idk. I might see if Jegs has a good one or I might just say screw it, put some nice wheels on the car, and not have to worry about anything while I'm at college.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:36 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

@GregMartin yeah idk. I might see if Jegs has a good one or I might just say screw it, put some nice wheels on the car, and not have to worry about anything while I'm at college.
Yeah
I don’t mind dealing with Jegs but it sounds like you need someone to inspect it before it’s shipped. Does Buccaneer have any other ideas he really is a very helpful bloke. Also you could ask some questions over on the thirdgen board. There are lots of guys there with crossfire F bodies. Also how bad are we talking with the renegade? The standard intake required a lot of machining and even then there is only so much you can do with it. A poorly machined renegade might be fixable with minimum machine work. Maybe Summit will sell you the he best of the bad ones cheap.

Or like you say you can leave it. I only did the engine work on mine after it threw a timing chain. These early C4s are fun to drive in their lower HP configuration. They had plenty of torque, low weight, great handling and at 205 HP they made more power then most of the C3s built after the mid 70s. Driving it and enjoying it is a good option.

Last edited by GregMartin; 07-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Renegade Intake