C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 05:11 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I did the hellas years ago via Daniels recommendations. I did not do his harness though. I used Osram bulbs. I can see great. I get flashed allot, then I hit high beams, and they realize it was my low beams.
My headlights are properly adjusted..
One thing to remember is the headlights were designed to spin those light plastic headlights. When I put the heavier ones in, I stripped the gears. Chance, accident/? No idea. So, I pinned the new bronze gears to the rod holding it. It will not be an issue anymore..
Old 05-15-2020, 06:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
a lot of those websites rig their reviews to favor what they sell and dog what they dont
Ya think? Why do you think I don't believe testimonials and prefer to read a lab report?
The following users liked this post:
dizwiz24 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 06:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by krackenvette
I did the hellas years ago via Daniels recommendations. I did not do his harness though. I used Osram bulbs. I can see great. I get flashed allot, then I hit high beams, and they realize it was my low beams.
My headlights are properly adjusted..
One thing to remember is the headlights were designed to spin those light plastic headlights. When I put the heavier ones in, I stripped the gears. Chance, accident/? No idea. So, I pinned the new bronze gears to the rod holding it. It will not be an issue anymore..
One or maybe both of them had a hairline crack and they were with the OEM lights before I changed
Old 05-15-2020, 10:13 PM
Theman5
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Two members have used the amazon light and are happy. Here is some not quality pictures of it at night going down the road

Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I got a set of Genssi and used THIS to make the LED work without cutting, splicing, etc.
Oh, actually, that's a good point. I forgot to mention that if you swap to LED headlights, it will cause your foglights to no longer work. You need to make a single modification to the fog light relay under the passenger dash (or, as aklim posted, put in a load resistor on the high beam circuit). I don't like adding load resistors because that increases current draw, which just ends up as heat. I swapped LEDs to drop current on purpose.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:19 PM
Theman5
Pro

Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Oh, actually, that's a good point. I forgot to mention that if you swap to LED headlights, it will cause your foglights to no longer work. You need to make a single modification to the fog light relay under the passenger dash (or, as aklim posted, put in a load resistor on the high beam circuit). I don't like adding load resistors because that increases current draw, which just ends up as heat. I swapped LEDs to drop current on purpose.
not sure if that applies to all years. The 1986 has LED fog lights too and nothing was modded

Last edited by Theman5; 05-15-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Theman5
not sure if that applies to all years. The 1986 has LED fog lights too and nothing was modded
It applies to any year that had the functionality where turning the high beams on would turn the fog lights off. It does this by having the ground for the fog light relay pass through the high beam filaments. That way if the high beams are energized, then both sides of the fog light relay would have 12V across them, meaning the relay would turn off.

LED fog lights work perfectly fine on their own.

But if you install LED headlights, there isn't enough resistive load to pull the fog light relay ground low, so it floats and causes the circuit to malfunction (fog lights won't work properly, high beam indicator on your dash will glow, etc). As noted above you can either add a resistive load to pull down the circuit (but this draws additional current and wastes it as heat), or you can cut the light green wire coming out of the fog light relay and connect it directly to chassis ground (what I did).
The following 2 users liked this post by Nomake Wan:
IspeedAtNight (12-29-2020), rblakeney (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 09:32 AM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

It applies to any year that had the functionality where turning the high beams on would turn the fog lights off. It does this by having the ground for the fog light relay pass through the high beam filaments. That way if the high beams are energized, then both sides of the fog light relay would have 12V across them, meaning the relay would turn off.

But if you install LED headlights, there isn't enough resistive load to pull the fog light relay ground low, so it floats and causes the circuit to malfunction (fog lights won't work properly, high beam indicator on your dash will glow, etc). As noted above you can either add a resistive load to pull down the circuit (but this draws additional current and wastes it as heat), or you can cut the light green wire coming out of the fog light relay and connect it directly to chassis ground (what I did).
Aklims solution is the most elegant but I had already started with Euro spec lenses first with the best halogen bulbs I could find in the stock wattage. Nice cutoff but meh. I upgraded the halogens to a well rated H4 LED and am quite happy. But as Nomake states, the fogs would not work. On my 89, I cut the light green wire at each fog and grounded it to the horn ground screws on each side. I already had an HID kit for the fogs and they are amazing. Im done and the road illumination is fantastic.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:05 AM
Theman5
Pro

I had not noticed any issues on the 86'. Will double check operation.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:11 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

On a side note, fog lights are worthless anyways...
Old 05-16-2020, 10:30 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by krackenvette
On a side note, fog lights are worthless anyways...
I disagree. It's job is to repel the fog. It creates a force shield that pushes fog away. And it works well with my blinker fluid and muffler bearings
The following 5 users liked this post by aklim:
corvette72778 (06-24-2020), dizwiz24 (09-05-2020), jmeyer58 (12-29-2020), krackenvette (05-16-2020), searlescm (07-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrades