C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 Spark Plug Fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 10:54 PM
Faceman89
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default LT4 Spark Plug Fun

Changed out the plugs on the old girl tonight. Must say #8 was indeed quite the pain. L98 engine took me maybe 30 minutes to do them all of them…..I spent that long just on #8. 1-7 went easy enough. Had to move the ASR for 1 and 2. Was able to use a torque wrench on all but #8. Plugs I pulled out were AC Delco 41-943 and had definitely been in there for a while. NGK TR5IX replaced them. Car definitely seemed to respond nicely to them. Tomorrow will be trans and diff fluid change. Anyone else struggle a bit on #8 ? I know it can’t just be me lol.
Old 05-18-2024, 11:23 AM
powerplaytwo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, #8 is a bear. Probably the most difficult plug on any other I I have owned. Congratulations on sticking with it and getting them all replaced
The following users liked this post:
Faceman89 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:31 AM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 701 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by Faceman89
Changed out the plugs on the old girl tonight. Must say #8 was indeed quite the pain. L98 engine took me maybe 30 minutes to do them all of them…..I spent that long just on #8. 1-7 went easy enough. Had to move the ASR for 1 and 2. Was able to use a torque wrench on all but #8. Plugs I pulled out were AC Delco 41-943 and had definitely been in there for a while. NGK TR5IX replaced them. Car definitely seemed to respond nicely to them. Tomorrow will be trans and diff fluid change. Anyone else struggle a bit on #8 ? I know it can’t just be me lol.
Now if we can get at least 1 day of sunshine around here so we can drive the things.

This is getting ridiculous, Face.

It's consistently the rainiest, grayest, gloomiest state I've ever lived in. All it does is rain around here anyore.

It doesn't even rain this consistently in the pacific northwest.

I'm beginning to think it's a damned conspiracy. lol...
Old 05-18-2024, 02:43 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Just went through the same thing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html

Sounds like you weren’t able to exceed my mistake of losing a plug while trying to install #8
Old 05-18-2024, 07:55 PM
Faceman89
Racer

Originally Posted by Natty C
Now if we can get at least 1 day of sunshine around here so we can drive the things.

This is getting ridiculous, Face.

It's consistently the rainiest, grayest, gloomiest state I've ever lived in. All it does is rain around here anyore.

It doesn't even rain this consistently in the pacific northwest.

I'm beginning to think it's a damned conspiracy. lol...
Brother you are not kidding lol. I swear this state gets more and more rain with every passing year.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:00 PM
Faceman89
Racer

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Just went through the same thing.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-problem.html

Sounds like you weren’t able to exceed my mistake of losing a plug while trying to install #8
That was my biggest concern on #8 😆. I shoved my hand in first, then fed it the plug and socket with the other hand. I was quite puckered up the entire time.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:03 PM
Faceman89
Racer

Originally Posted by IHBD
On the LTx, the major impediment to accessing #8 are the fuel lines that run vertically between the exhaust manifold and A/C suitcase. With those lines removed, access to #8 isn't a big deal.

I recently went ape-**** crazy on fixing the oil leaks on my LT1. I did everything, including the oil pan. With so much already disassembled for the leaks, I realized that this was the opportune time to do some baseline maintenance such as plugs, wires and fuel filter. I disconnected the fuel lines at the filter and return junction, went above and removed the clamp on the suitcase, the flex lines to the fuel rail, and lifted the lines out of the car. Access to #8 was then a nothing-burger, so was the fuel filter change-out.

If you're changing spark plugs, you should probably also be changing the fuel filter. Once the filter is loose, lifting the fuel lines up and out is 60 seconds tops if you have the spring-loc release tools in your box. The #8 plug is then easy-peasy.
I have a filter sitting on the shelf…..damn 😆

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 Spark Plug Fun

Quick Reply: LT4 Spark Plug Fun