C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Replace hood release cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 11:31 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Replace hood release cable (Clark)

Thanks guys, glad i could help.... Clark: You got it.... The only thing i did, was make the piece long enough to go under the plastic shield, then stuffed it down by the wiper arm... that way i didn't have to dig under the hood to get it... :thumbs:
Old 12-03-2003, 03:39 AM
vetteseniorcit
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound a little dumb, but I taped the new cables to the old ones and just pulled them through the firewall under the dash (after disengaging them from the latches, of course). Took all of about two minutes. After placing the swagged ends in the handle, I just pulled on the new cables (housings) until I had tension to hold the ends in place. I'd say the whole operation took me less than 15 minutes, including the adjustments.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:26 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07
Default Re: Replace hood release cable (vetteseniorcit)

smooth move...
Old 12-03-2003, 08:43 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jake
Thanks for the reply. How in the heck did your buddy even get at the grommet under the dash in 1/2 hour? I spent the afternoon today disassembling everything on the inside just to get a peek at it. It's way up there, and I can't get a tool on it. In the past, I've replaced my clutch master cylinder, my starter clutch pedal interlock, and I've had the steering column out, so I'm familiar with the area, but wow! How do you do it?
Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't mark this thread.

On the 86 there are only a few screws to remove and the lower panel drops out of the way. then it's upside down time (or if you're really limber you can just bend at the waist) and everything is right there.

I glanced his way as he was doing it (I was changing his MAF and running Diacom on his 86 while he did my cable) and he was done in short order.

Jake
Old 12-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Clark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replace hood release cable (JAKE)

It's done.
Thanks Vinnie, Scorp, and Jake.
I had several electrical wires going thru the same grommet, so I couldn't attack it to get it out of the hole. Once I figured out what they were, (an aftermarket alarm system spaghetti-mess) I got rid of them, then wham bam!
New cables are in, and like you guys said, the hardest thing was adjusting the cable length without breaking the plastic adjusting nut assembly so the hood would release properly. Also, the emergency release cables I had already installed sure helped, because I could close the hood without fear (and I needed them). They're staying.
Thanks again to all.
Clark
Old 07-01-2017, 03:39 AM
koritz123
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetteseniorcit
This may sound a little dumb, but I taped the new cables to the old ones and just pulled them through the firewall under the dash (after disengaging them from the latches, of course). Took all of about two minutes. After placing the swagged ends in the handle, I just pulled on the new cables (housings) until I had tension to hold the ends in place. I'd say the whole operation took me less than 15 minutes, including the adjustments.
What year Corvette was this and what kind of tape did you use and did you have any trouble pulling the new cables Through The Grommet in the firewall? Where did you get the cables from and did they fit normally?

Last edited by koritz123; 07-01-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:48 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

that is a 14 year old post,,,,,,,,FYI

Quick Reply: Replace hood release cable