Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

dont laugh...im new

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM
newby91989
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont laugh...im new

Alright guys i need your help...this is my first post. i have been a corvette lover since i could spell it!!! i am looking for a vette from 1997-1999. convertible would be nice but with my price...doubt it...not much for the coupe either...the catch...i would like to but one for under 15grand. i see some of your guys' vettes and it amazes me. i know it wont be spectacular but that is what i am looking for...If you guys can help me, freakin awesome!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
lockmart
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a real nice C4? If I wanted to spend under 15K that is what I'd buy, as opposed to a high mileage or rough around the edges C5. I've heard of 15K C5's but never seen one that was in great shape. The C4's are real nice cars, I drove my Dad's 94 a good bit growing up and had a blast.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
newby91989
3rd Gear

Default Nice

thanks for the advice...not real sure about the body style of the c4s but i understand what you mean...next question....does anyone know anybody trying to get rid of a cheap c4?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

here's another viewpoint. i don't know your physical attributes (height and weight), but as the owner (previously) of a 93 C4 convertible, and having that particular car being the 3rd vette i had owned at that point, i suggest you consider just about any other vette than a C4 if you are the least bit tall, or heavy, or have a tender back. for whatever reason, when chevy designed (and built) the C4, they chose to position the seating BELOW the outboard rocker rail. getting in isn't that bad (you kind of fall into it), but getting out requires that you bench press yourself up and out over the side rail. it was my wife's least favorite experience of any car we have owned together, and she refused to take it (or ride in it) unless she was wearing shorts or pants at the time. there is a reason you'll find the outboard bolster on the driver's seat back beaten up (or replaced).

i doubt you'll be happy with a $15,000 C5 if you could find one (they didn't make a 97 convertible, by the way). do yourself a favor and either save up (or convince yourself to shell out) enough money to buy a car you'll be happy with (and one that won't cause you a new problem each week you own it).

that's just my take on the question posed, and my experience with my C4 purchased new in 93.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Were it me, I'd at least look at a C4, and drive one. I'm 6'2" 255 pounds, and I never had a problem getting in/out of any of the 3 C4's I owned. Granted, if you have a wife or girlfriend that likes wearing skirts...there really IS no ladylike way to get in and out of one of them, but that aside....there are some smokin deals out there on really clean low mileage C4's, if you want to put in the time and effort to look for them. 15 large is not going to buy you much C5, but you can get a killer C4 for less than that, and have change left over to start buying toys.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by newby91989
thanks for the advice...not real sure about the body style of the c4s but i understand what you mean...next question....does anyone know anybody trying to get rid of a cheap c4?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1597856
Old 02-20-2007, 04:00 PM
KalelC5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just keep your eye out.....they are out there....I picked up my 98 convertible for $13,900 about 2 months had 88k miles, and was in very good overall cond.....
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM
lockmart
Drifting

I am 6'3 and I fit fine, but I agree it is a little difficult to get in and out.

KalelC5, how long did you look? Sounds like you got an exceptional deal.

Originally Posted by srs244
here's another viewpoint. i don't know your physical attributes (height and weight), but as the owner (previously) of a 93 C4 convertible, and having that particular car being the 3rd vette i had owned at that point, i suggest you consider just about any other vette than a C4 if you are the least bit tall, or heavy, or have a tender back. for whatever reason, when chevy designed (and built) the C4, they chose to position the seating BELOW the outboard rocker rail. getting in isn't that bad (you kind of fall into it), but getting out requires that you bench press yourself up and out over the side rail. it was my wife's least favorite experience of any car we have owned together, and she refused to take it (or ride in it) unless she was wearing shorts or pants at the time. there is a reason you'll find the outboard bolster on the driver's seat back beaten up (or replaced).

i doubt you'll be happy with a $15,000 C5 if you could find one (they didn't make a 97 convertible, by the way). do yourself a favor and either save up (or convince yourself to shell out) enough money to buy a car you'll be happy with (and one that won't cause you a new problem each week you own it).

that's just my take on the question posed, and my experience with my C4 purchased new in 93.

Last edited by lockmart; 02-20-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM
mymaur
Racer

Have to agree with everything I read. $15K for a C-5 will be tough to find. Though I am sure they are out there. But C-4's are another thing. I know you could get a very late model excellent quality C-4 in that price range.

By the way, I don't think anyone is laughing at you and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Look here

Also look through your local paper.
picked mine up for $13,500

Good luck and welcome aboard
Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM
NY~FX
Racer

if its your first and you are not a mechanic...
stay away from high mile cars as they need fairly "constant supervision/repair/money" if you can use your desire as an incentive to work more and save 5 K more ...you can get into a good condition c5.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
newby91989
3rd Gear

Default you guys are awesome

you guys rock!!! thaanks for all the good advice and warm welcome!! i am now looking more seriously into a c4...some of them are real nice!!! thanks again!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

you guys rock!!! thaanks for all the good advice and warm welcome!! i am now looking more seriously into a c4...some of them are real nice!!! thanks again!!!
Personally, I would not buy a C4. The C4 platform is quite old and not nearly up to today's standards for structural rigidity. The change from C4 to C5 was huge. You will be able to find a C5 around your price target. Too many Vette owners are overly concerned about mileage. A well maintained Vette can run for a very long time. Drive them both and you decide.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
NY~FX
Racer

Originally Posted by bmacZO6
Too many Vette owners are overly concerned about mileage. A well maintained Vette can run for a very long time.
my c4 has 150k
maintenance being the key word

Last edited by NY~FX; 02-21-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 AM
lockmart
Drifting

Regardless of the fact the C4 is older technology; bottom line it is still a great car for the money. It comes down to personal choice, but I would take a 40K mile C4 in mint condition all day long against a C5 with 85-95K miles and rough interior or something.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by lockmart
Regardless of the fact the C4 is older technology; bottom line it is still a great car for the money. It comes down to personal choice, but I would take a 40K mile C4 in mint condition all day long against a C5 with 85-95K miles and rough interior or something.
i would certainly agree with that, but i still stand by my original statement that entry and exit is a pain. i loved my 93 convertible (and really have been sorry i sold it when i did), but that said, i still struggled to get out of it and the wife always rolled her eyes when i wanted to take it on "date night", LOL!

i agree you should drive them both and you'll see the differences both positive and negative. there really was a tremendous difference in the c4 to c5 platform transition.

oh, and i agree, no one is laughing at you (as you can tell) and welcome to the forum. it's a great place made up of loads of very talented and knowledgable folks who are willing to share what they know to lend a hand. just ask.

Last edited by srs244; 02-21-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Red Velvette
Racer

Originally Posted by srs244

While there are some C5's that occaisionally show up at $15K or so, they are usually very high miles and not in the best condition. C5's are great-but some repairs can be costly and before you know you have blown past the cost of a nice C5 to begin with.

In regards to the C4's, they are lower to get into and out of but not impossible. For those of us with less than narrow behinds the seats through about 93 MY can be tight, (the 94-96 sports seats seem to give a bit more seat room). Other than that they are great cars and not a bad place to start with a Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To dont laugh...im new

Old 02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
KalelC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by lockmart
I am 6'3 and I fit fine, but I agree it is a little difficult to get in and out.

KalelC5, how long did you look? Sounds like you got an exceptional deal.
I looked for about 3 weeks...and found mine. and it happen to be pretty local too, so it turned out to be a great deal for me
Old 02-21-2007, 05:34 PM
JLLACO
Racer

Default Lingerfelter Stage II Heads & Cam Pkg

Check out the posting with the title. Lingerfelter Stage II Heads & Cam Pkg
less than one day left on the bidding and its a 2000frc, its in TN bid is up to 12,500.....may sell in your pice range 103000miles
Old 02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Bengeeee
Intermediate

Alright guys i need your help...this is my first post. i have been a corvette lover since i could spell it!!! i am looking for a vette from 1997-1999. convertible would be nice but with my price...doubt it...not much for the coupe either...the catch...i would like to but one for under 15grand. i see some of your guys' vettes and it amazes me. i know it wont be spectacular but that is what i am looking for...If you guys can help me, freakin awesome!!!
If it were me i would consider neither. It may be possible to find a decent 15k c5 but i think you'll be hard pressed to do so even during the winter months. I wouldn't want to buy a c4 for the reasons already mentioned.... plus i just cant bring myself to love that body style.

Why not consider an ls1 camaro or firebird, hawk, transam? They wont have the same fit and finish and you wont be in a vette but you will get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck and be less prone to buying a car that will cost you more later. You can get a nice SS camaro for around 15k with low miles and maybe even an aftermarket or gmpp warranty if your lucky.

Just my .02. I've wanted a vette since I knew what one was too but In the end i decided I wouldnt be happy with it (due to my price range) and went with other platforms. Had many cars since then and still no vette.... Just think about it. Will you be happy with it in the end or will you wish you bought something with lower miles?

Good luck,

Ben

Quick Reply: dont laugh...im new