Old 02-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Patches,

Thanks for the write-up. Just a couple of questions:

1) You menioned that you pulled the neutral adjusting pin up to free the shifter movement. How and why was this done?

If you look at the pic below, you see a silver-colored elbow "lock" in the front of the shifter base that goes from a vertical slot into the black shaft housing in the base. In the down position, this lock keeps the shifter centered in the neutral position so you can loosen the shift rod coupler and adjust the shifter to it's best centered position to ensure shifting smoothness. The elbow comes from the factory in the locked mode so you can install the shifter in it's best centered position. To unlock and free up the shifter for use, you simply pull the elbow up until it's disengaged from the shift rod.

2) Did you have to install the insulator cup since the c6 shifter contained the sound insulation?

Yes, I still had to install the stock insulator in it's reversed position that the Hurst required. There was not enough clearance to install it in the original stock orientation (right-side up). Because the isolator is reversed, I still needed the rubber cap to close the hole in the insulator so noise wouldn't come through because reversing the insulator leaves space between the center hole and the shifter shaft.

3) Will this shifter requrie a short boot, or can the standard C5 boot be used?

As mentioned above, mine is a short boot but I believe the stock boot should work; although, I would imagine it will have a similar situation fitting the neck over the shifter collar.

Can wait for the test drive.

I'll post here as soon as I'm confident I've had enough seat time to get a good feel for the new shifter. I already know I like the ****. It is very similar to the one I put on my Hurst.

Ralph
LuS1fer, I'm not sure if they'll sell you the shifter without the base. I doubt it but it couldn't hurt to ask. Also, you may be able to get one from a C6 owner eventually as they start upgrading to aftermarket shifters.

Dave, I totally agree. The shifter/**** is one of the most personal choices M6 owners make when they decide what direction to go. It's very much based on preference, driving style and application (racing vs. cruising).

Thanks for the great comments everyone.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 AM
CorvettePartsBob
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is Bob at Fichtner Chevrolet,

Patches..superb write up and documentation!!

Classic-Chevy-Guy.. an excellent idea getting Patches to do this!
I'm glad we worked out the special deal.

For those of you interested in doing the mod, we have the shifter kits available for $222.00 and they include the shifter, **** and retainer. To order give us a call at 800-234-5284

Bob
Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Great job!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:59 PM
LANZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 301 Likes on 122 Posts

Really great work Patches. Could you do the same for Headder installation and maybe a gear change.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Thanks for another great write up
Old 02-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Mark 84ltblu
Le Mans Master

SE Ohio Event Coordinator
CI-V Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Curise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Great write up. Thanks for posting!
Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CorvettePartsBob
This is Bob at Fichtner Chevrolet,

Patches..superb write up and documentation!!

Classic-Chevy-Guy.. an excellent idea getting Patches to do this!
I'm glad we worked out the special deal.

For those of you interested in doing the mod, we have the shifter kits available for $222.00 and they include the shifter, **** and retainer. To order give us a call at 800-234-5284

Bob

plug plug plug plug ...

Old 02-23-2005, 02:20 PM
MSGvette
Safety Car

Great write up Will keep on how it drives.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:21 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent job to all!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 03:31 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ed,

Where did you get the 2" rubber cap, Home Depot? Is this the same PVC end cap everyone talks about for the Hurst install?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:49 PM
vetpet
Pro

Excellent write up Patches and great pictures to go along with it. I've got a C6 shifter that I'm waiting to install so your write up is very timely. I'd have to agree that the feel will probably be the same as the C5 shifter but with the shorter throws. Don't expect it to be as good as your Hurst for preciseness.

For anyone that has a Hurst already but wants to install the C6 shifter ****, the diameter of the shift **** is much larger than the shaft of the Hurst shifter. As well, the height of the Hurst shifter shaft is much taller than the C6 shifter. If you want to keep your Hurst but use the C6 shifter **** you need to have the shaft shortened and the tapered portion machined lower so the overall height matches the C5. Sorry I don't have pictures but I think Patches will understand what I'm talking about.

Can't wait to hear your driving opinion Patches.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
chasswartz
Instructor

thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Mine shipped Monday!!!

Tks Patches for the awsome write up!

Peace
Willfulone

Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

First Impressions

As promised, after work I took a drive on the back roads around where I live that present plenty of variety in shifting modalities, from tame to spirited. Please remember that my perceptions are colored with three years of Hurst shifting and but a few short months with the original, stock shifter. I'll relate it to both stock and to the Hurst setup in terms of precision, effort, throw, NVH (noise-vibration-harshness) and overall satisfaction. Oh, and the ****.

*Enthusiastic Disclaimer* Shifters, shifting feel and shift ***** are some of the most personal aspects of manual-transmission driving. For some, nothing short of athletic shoes will do while it's strictly bunny slippers for others.

Precision - C6 shifter is decidedly much closer to the stock setup than to the Hurst. No surprise here. The doubly-damped design lends a smoother, more continuous feel to the motion. That on-off-switch feel of the Hurst is just not there. Still, I had less trouble discerning which gear I was reaching for than with the stock shifter.

The feel of 1st, 3rd and 5th were more confidence-inspiring than 2nd and 4th (I didn't get into 6th). They felt a bit more rubbery and awkward for some reason - almost as if the shifter was rising as it came back. That rising feeling is probably more my unfamiliarty with the angle of the shaft than with the actual motion. I attribute the better-than-stock feel to the shorter throw and better leverage that the angled shaft adds.

Not surprisingly, reverse was much more easily attained than with the Hurst with it's notchiness and relatively stiff springs. It felt a little better than with the stock shifter from what I remember also.

Effort - I forgot how much force multiplication was required to motivate the Hurst in comparison to the stock setup. Although quite short, the C6 shifter is very easy to push through the gears. I had to consciously readjust at first to keep from slamming the tranny stops. Once used to it, it was very easy. Refreshing, actually, after 3 years with the Hurst and two with my dd Mustang, which is closer to the Hurst in feel. Obviously the stock shifter/tranny setup is flavored for mainstream consumption where shifting effort is concerned so low effort is the design goal. Again, much closer to the stock C5 than the Hurst.

Throw - I would have to position the C6 throw closer to stock than to the Hurst. Don't be fooled by the side-by-side pic above which shows similar heights. The pivot point of the C6 shifter is still significantly lower than the Hurst keeping the throw at a modest reduction compared to the stocker. Still, it's noticeable and an improvement of what I recall with my stock shifter. The throw on the C5 shifter is increased relative to the C6 shifter due to the C5 shifter's greater height. Observe the difference between the Hurst and stock and then to the C6.

NVH - No news is good news here. Quiet as a church mouse and smooth as butter. I originally had some noise and vibration issues with my Hurst but the rubber cap and a bit of weight ballast on the shaft solved those issues. Obviously there were no issues with my stock setup as well.

Overall satisfaction - I would say that the C6 shifter is an honest and appreciable improvement over the C5 shifter. There's evidence in it's design that the aftermarket and other manufacturer's shifters were referred to when the design inputs were listed. Two critical changes made a difference in my perception of it's feel. The first is the obvious offset in the shaft and the second is the reduced height. They position the **** with a better mechanical advantage to the driver. It seems to fall a bit more readily to hand.

The $64K question is, "Would you switch?" That depends.

If my C5 was a daily driver and I preferred the smoothness and ease of use of the stock setup, then, yes. The improvement over the C5 shifter would probably sway me to switch. I don't think I can address the cost/benefit issue for everyone since we have such a wide spectrum of opinions here as to what truly has "mod value".

On the other hand, my C5 is strictly a weekend toy at my house. Sewing-machine head/cam valvetrain noises, stiffer ride, open cutouts and notchy shifting are accepted at the Patches' Place where the C5 is concerned. The Hurst is going back in when this test is concluded. But I can certainly appreciate those who drive a manual in rush-hour, bumper-to-bumper traffic and who are in no hurry to give up the 95th-percentile shifter. I doubt I could tolerate my Hurst daily even in my relatively painless commute.

Oh, yeah - the ****. I really like this ****. It is a new dimension where Cx ***** are concerned. It has a solid feel to it and fits MUCH more snugly in the cupped hand. The off-center position in the shift pattern insert is not just an esthetic cue. It ends up falling right into the circle that is formed by my thumb and index finger when I grip the **** so that the insert is still visible. I thought it was kind of cool.

So, to each his own. Please remember that this is strictly my opinion and that I will disavow any knowledge of this thread if I'm somehow taken seriously or challenged in a public court of law.

Talk amongst yourselves . . .
The following users liked this post:
tanisdwninit (06-15-2019)
Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I may have to jump on this...that would look cool in my ride!!!

Patches...Thanks for the Write up!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:42 PM
quick99ls1
Burning Brakes

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Shifter Installation

Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Way to go Ed. Great write up ... thanks for sharing. As always, you leave people standing in line, jumping up and down, yelling, "Me next! Me next!"

Dave Q.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for a great writeup. I've been wondering just how the C6 shifter would do in the C5.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM
keen02
Instructor

I would do this, but the only thing I don't like is the fact that the **** is gray. If it came in black leather like a C5 **** does then I would be all over this.

Quick Reply: C6 Shifter Installation