C6 Shifter Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 AM
vettecop1125
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

What an incredible review! Patches is the man!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Patches,

For the ease of installation, is it feasible to order the Stock Insulator for the C6, and just have it bolt in, since the insulator for the C5 does not fit, rather than having to reverse the C5 stock insulator?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:57 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Actually, Ralph, you should try your stock insulator first. If you look at the area around my shifter, you'll notice a lot of extra insulation and wiring that is not normally there in a stock C5. That could be hindering the correct fit of my isolator over the C6 shifter. My advice is to try your's first and then report back as to how it fits.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Patches
Actually, Ralph, you should try your stock insulator first. If you look at the area around my shifter, you'll notice a lot of extra insulation and wiring that is not normally there in a stock C5. That could be hindering the correct fit of my isolator over the C6 shifter. My advice is to try your's first and then report back as to how it fits.

Excellent write-up...as is expected...

I would probably stay with the Hurst but I do appreciate the smooth easy stroke of the C5 or C6 shifter...

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Default leather color

It looks like the black leather on the shift handle matches ours. Can you confirm this? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:56 PM
dajael

Thanks to Patches and his meticulous write-up as well as his "Hurst Install" write-up I have ordered my C6 kit from Bob & Tom @ Fichtner Chevrolet (BTW...those guys are a class act ). Should be getting it by Tuesday...and installing it on Friday.

My C5 is a DD and does not see track time so convenience and ease of use are priorities for me instead of feel. Patches review seemed to be leaning more toward my specific needs in a shifter upgrade.

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:02 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default C6 Shifter in a C5

________________________________________ ____________________
[dajael]Thanks to Patches and his meticulous write-up as well as his "Hurst Install" write-up I have ordered my C6 kit from Bob & Tom @ Fichtner Chevrolet (BTW...those guys are a class act ). Should be getting it by Tuesday...and installing it on Friday.
My C5 is a DD and does not see track time so convenience and ease of use are priorities for me instead of feel. Patches review seemed to be leaning more toward my specific needs in a shifter upgrade.
Thanks again!!!
[/QUOTE]
________________________________________ ____________________

Same here.....had the Hurst, found it took too much effort. I like the ease of the stock shifter. Called Fichtner and ordered the newer model. I stopped by one of my local dealers first (Palanker, West Babylon) to sit in the car and see if I liked the way it felt. I realize the throw in my car may be a little longer than the C6, I believe there is an internal upgrade in the transmission in order to achieve a shorter throw.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:12 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Fantastic (as always) write-up Patches. Saved for later..........

Paul
Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 PM
vetpet
Pro

Thanks Patches for articulating your opinions so well. You're on the money when it comes to shifter choice. It's all a matter of preference and use. Knowing what to expect from first hand experience is invaluable in helping each of us make an informative decision.

Kudos Dude
Old 02-25-2005, 08:06 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dajael
Thanks to Patches and his meticulous write-up as well as his "Hurst Install" write-up I have ordered my C6 kit from Bob & Tom @ Fichtner Chevrolet (BTW...those guys are a class act ). Should be getting it by Tuesday...and installing it on Friday.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:01 AM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Old 02-25-2005, 10:03 AM
dajael

Originally Posted by vetdude
Let us know how it goes!
Will Do...

Not sure yet if I'll be installing it myself or letting the Chevy dealer do it since my car is going in for some warranty work on that day. i.e. doubt there will be any pictures but then again Patches pretty much took care of all of that. I WILL however give a review of the shifter, since Patches was running the Hurst, he was basically referring to the stock set up from memory. I might be able to be a little more comparative of the original C5 shifter to the new C6 since I'm doing a stock replacement instead of a aftermarket shifter to C6, although I'm sure I won't be able to articulate my opinion as well as Patches did even on his worst day
Old 02-25-2005, 11:43 AM
KenI
Racer

Originally Posted by 97Black
It looks like the black leather on the shift handle matches ours. Can you confirm this? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
vetpet
Pro

Patches, could you clarify something for me. Is the actual base that the shifter is bolted to different in the C5 and C6? Your pictures show the shifter including the base. Looking at the pictures, the base doesn't look different. I've got a C6 shifter and was going to unbolt my C5 shifter (4 bolts) and bolt the C6 in place. My buddy gave me the C6 shifter because he replaced it with a Hurst. All we did was unbolt the old one and bolt in the Hurst. We even used the plastic ball cover from the C6 shifter on the Hurst.

Thanks,
Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Same base, vetpet.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 PM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

How about a GTO shifter next then the CTS-V
Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Patches,

Great reveiw, man. I always enjoy reading your posts - definitely good info and something to be learned every time.

I'd LOVE to have the C6 shifter ****, but keep my B&M Ripper shifter. What would it take to get the C6 **** to fit the C5 stock shifter/hurst/B&M do you think?

I'm currently using a stock-threaded Ken King shifter ****, but I'd really like to look at an alternative!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Shifter Installation

Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 PM
vetpet
Pro

Patches, thanks for the reply.

In regards to using the C6 shift **** with your B&M, the C6 shift know does not thread on. It is held in place with a set screw. You would have to drill a hole in the shaft and then thread it to accomodate the set screw. The other thing you have to measure is the diameter of the B&M shaft vs the C6. The C6 shaft is larger in diameter than the C5 one and also the Hurst. I don't know what diameter the B&M is but would be willing to bet that it's the same as the Hurst. You'd need to put some kind of sleeve over your B&M in order to make it larger and properly fit the C5 shifter ****. This will keep it snug as well as insulate it from the steel shaft.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Awsum98
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielW
I really like that ****, but wanna keep my hurst, Anyone know where I can get the **** only????
gGst20psi@aol.com sells them for $70.bucks and they screw right on the C5 shifters.. i got one on mine with a B&M shifter and it fits and looks great !!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetpet
Patches, thanks for the reply.

In regards to using the C6 shift **** with your B&M, the C6 shift know does not thread on. It is held in place with a set screw. You would have to drill a hole in the shaft and then thread it to accomodate the set screw. The other thing you have to measure is the diameter of the B&M shaft vs the C6. The C6 shaft is larger in diameter than the C5 one and also the Hurst. I don't know what diameter the B&M is but would be willing to bet that it's the same as the Hurst. You'd need to put some kind of sleeve over your B&M in order to make it larger and properly fit the C5 shifter ****. This will keep it snug as well as insulate it from the steel shaft.

Thanks for the reply vetpet - that's what I thought would be the case.

Originally Posted by medic23w
gGst20psi@aol.com sells them for $70.bucks and they screw right on the C5 shifters.. i got one on mine with a B&M shifter and it fits and looks great !!
Could you please post a pic of your shift ****? I don't mean to refute what you're saying, but based on the information above and from what Patches says in his write-up, it would take a different thread, etc. to make this work. Are you sure the **** you have is the 'genuine' C6 **** and not a knock off? Thanks a lot - I'm not meaning to be trouble, I'd just like to see the **** before I purchased from your contact.

Quick Reply: C6 Shifter Installation