Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil 10W-30 Oil Sample Results!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Slade
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question. With the new oils performing better and apparently staying cleaner, where does the dirt go? If it goes more into the filter and as that gets dirtier, does at some point it get harder to allow the oil to pass through? Anyone ever tested that? I am all for not changing oil as frequently, but I am at a loss to really understand where the dirt goes and what the impact of the other compenents may be.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Slade
I have a question. With the new oils performing better and apparently staying cleaner, where does the dirt go? If it goes more into the filter and as that gets dirtier, does at some point it get harder to allow the oil to pass through? Anyone ever tested that? I am all for not changing oil as frequently, but I am at a loss to really understand where the dirt goes and what the impact of the other compenents may be.
As long as you have a good quality filter like ac delco, dirt is trapped and will not affect oil flow. My oil pressure still read the same as when i have fresh oil in there so i know its flowing fine. The report would have shown evidence of a bad wearing motor too.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Great post Ike,

I use Amsoil 10-30 also. I am at 5k now and the DIC says 42%. I am shooting for 8K on this change and will send the sample in to Blackstone at the next change. Did you use an Amsoil filter? By the way my 02 Z has 52,000 miles on it. I hope it's finally broken in

Take care, Don
Old 12-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I go by the DIC as well... running Amsoil 5w40 for my dual use car.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Ikester
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by dwjz06
Great post Ike,

I use Amsoil 10-30 also. I am at 5k now and the DIC says 42%. I am shooting for 8K on this change and will send the sample in to Blackstone at the next change. Did you use an Amsoil filter? By the way my 02 Z has 52,000 miles on it. I hope it's finally broken in

Take care, Don
Nope, AC delco filter.

Same here..I follow the DIC too but the winter months came up sooner!

Post up the results for 8k miles!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:13 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Slade

That's a good point. A filter will fill up with dirt and restrict oil flow through it. Depending on the construction of the motor and/or the filter, you might not see this as either the motor or the filter may have a bypass on it to protect against this situation. If your filter gets "full" and goes into bypass, it certainly isn't filtering much for you.

Most filters on the market are probably safe for use per the DIC or GM would require a more stringent filter change interval.

For those who go longer than OEM recommendations, the AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter is a good choice as it is rated for up to 25,000 miles or 1 year of use in normal service.

Another large factor in the amount of dirt in your oil is the air filter. You can really see the effects of a dirty air filter in used oil analysis reports.

In Ike's case, his air and oil filters are doing well overall as silicon (which is what dirt will shop up as) is only 7 ppm vs the labs universal average of 22 ppm.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
That's a good point. A filter will fill up with dirt and restrict oil flow through it. Depending on the construction of the motor and/or the filter, you might not see this as either the motor or the filter may have a bypass on it to protect against this situation. If your filter gets "full" and goes into bypass, it certainly isn't filtering much for you.

Most filters on the market are probably safe for use per the DIC or GM would require a more stringent filter change interval.

For those who go longer than OEM recommendations, the AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter is a good choice as it is rated for up to 25,000 miles or 1 year of use in normal service.
The new Amsoil EaO oil filter is actually a very unique filter in that even as it fills up with dirt, it's flow rating does not go down at all. It truly is a fantastic oil filter. If I can find one locally for a good price, I would run it in my car in a heartbeat. I've been running K&N oil filters, due to their excellent flow, but recently switched to Wix to compare my results.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Ikester
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Another large factor in the amount of dirt in your oil is the air filter. You can really see the effects of a dirty air filter in used oil analysis reports.

In Ike's case, his air and oil filters are doing well overall as silicon (which is what dirt will shop up as) is only 7 ppm vs the labs universal average of 22 ppm.
Good to know, I would never have guessed the silicon represents amount of dirt in your motor. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,196 Posts

This is another good point I forgot to point out last night too. Air filtration is an extremely important factor in your oil analysis report. You can run the best oil in the world but if you're air filter is not doing it's job, your engine wear will be sky high.

This is another reason why oil analysis is important. A lot of people have done oil analysis and found out that they were getting too much dirt into their oil, and traced the problem back to the air filter (or induction system in general) and were then able to correct this problem and significantly improve their engine wear. So even if you just do one single oil analysis, it could save your engine if you are able to correct a filtration problem like this.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
lakecat
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Default amsoil oil comparisons......

http://www.syntheticoilnlubes.com/co...oil_tests.html

lakecat
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lakecat
Lakecat,
That link is to another AMSOIL Dealer's website. I've got similar data, plus samples from Vette owners such as Ikester's on this page of my dealer website:
AMSOIL Performance Tests

Quick Reply: Amsoil 10W-30 Oil Sample Results!