Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed headers, 3.42 diff, TC and Tunnel plate (Mega-pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Installed headers, 3.42 diff, TC and Tunnel plate (Mega-pics)

I had mentioned that I felt the A4 C5 I bought for Mrs. Patches was in need of a little massaging but I promised her I wouldn't break into the engine (yet ). For the past few weeks I have been preparing for the changeover by buying all the parts and taking a few days off of work. My plans included headers, a 3.42 ratio diff, a high stall torque converter, a tranny oil cooler and an insulated tunnel plate. Last week, I started on July 4th and finished off the last couple of details today.

Mrs. Patches, when she wasn't busy, spent a bit of time assisting me and shot a few of the following pics.

The following is a photo-logue of the project.

I pre-assembled the American Racing Headers when they arrived to check out the fit.

I had the headers ceramic coated to reduce the under hood heat.

I had an extra bung welded in for future WB use.

This 3.42 ratio diff is the one out of my M6 C5 that I put 4.10’s in when the car had ~3K miles on it so it’s just broken in.

The Yank SS3200 torque converter I ordered. Dave made this and shipped it to me in record time when another vendor dropped the ball in sending me another TC I had ordered earlier. In retrospect, I am very happy about that – but more on that later.

I picked up a 72” tranny jack for a great price. This came in very handy.

In anticipation of a bit of messiness, I laid some cardboard down. I also rearranged some of the rolling cabinets to give better work area efficiency.

Got the car on the lift and jacked up to pull out the rear cross member.

Disconnected the A-arms, shocks, brakes, etc.

Popped the axles out.

Removed diff mount nuts.

Loosened the exhaust and started pulling it out.

Got the tunnel plate out and exposed the drivetrain.

Placed support under the torque tube in preparing to remove the rear cross member.

Disconnected the electrical connectors on the tranny along with the shifter cable.

Popular Reply

07-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And torqued the three bolts through the flex plate.

Here’s the completed TT sub-assembly ready to be reinstalled.

Mrs. Patches caught me shoving the TT back into place. It actually went in quite smoothly. Once again, the tranny jack was more than worth the selling price when doing this task alone.

The drive train back in place and supported.

I pushed the crossmember back in position and lifted it into place with the jack. Then I jacked the lower A-arms up, reinserted the axles and reconnected the upper A-arms, shocks and brakes. Of course, there were the various lines, connectors and clips that need to be reconnected as well.

Moving on to the headers, I pulled the stock manifolds off and unbolted the starter.

I had heat-shielded the starter on my M6 so I did the same with this one to protect it from any extra heat the headers might radiate.

The AR headers went in very easily but the starter wires weren’t as easy to reconnect as I had hoped. Still, they eventually went in fine.

The trusty jack once again was handy in holding the tunnel plate up for installation.

Looked great in place.

I also used the jack to hold the mid-pipe section in place while I assembled the exhaust system.

I devised this method to hold the muffler tips even while I tightened the bolts. Worked great.

The completed exhaust setup.

To start the tranny cooler installation, I freed up the fan shroud to give me room to get behind the radiator.

I cleaned the radiator/condenser thoroughly.

Assembled the cooler components.

Placed the cooler in front of the condenser.

Here you can see the retainers at the back of the radiator.

Getting the cooler hooked to the tranny fluid lines took a bit of imagination as there are no adapters for directly attaching a cooler to the lines for later model ‘02’s and later. I had to splice into the return line but it worked well. I also had an issue updating the PCM with the new diff ratio but I believe I now have that squared away as well.

After topping the tranny off with fluid and triple checking all my work. I took the car for a long, relaxing ride (Yank says to break in the TC for 120 miles before any WOT runs.) The A4 is like a whole different car. It accelerates with authority and sounds much better (gears, TC and headers). The car is so much more responsive I was taken by surprise. Small throttle inputs now create significant surges of thrust forward.

NO drivability has been lost – in fact, the car actually feels tighter than when it was stock. Mrs. Patches reminded me about the Elite tunnel plate I installed and the billet-feel I was experiencing made more sense. The response of the car is definitely what I was hoping for – and I have been light-footed so far in deference to the new TC. Can’t wait to see what WOT is like.

I have to rethink my whole attitude towards automatic Corvettes now. I have to say this A4 is very close to the fun factor of my head/cam/headered, etc. M6. Wait ‘til Mrs. Patches drives this thing – she may never let me into the driver’s seat again.

What a fun vacation!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Then I used the tranny jack to lower the rear cross member to the lift runners on top of some towels. I slid the entire assembly rearward out of the way so it was out of the way when I dropped the drive train.

At this point, it was easy to drain the fluid out of the 2.73 diff and place the tranny jack under the tranny.

The drive train was ready to come out at this point.

Next step was to pull the five front torque tube (TT) bolts.

I moved the jacking tray to the back of the engine to support it while the TT was off.

Btw, I cut the short leg off a 10mm allen key and used it with a deep socket to get to the drive shaft clamp screw in the bell housing.

Here’s a shot of the clamp after the TT was removed.

Also, here are a few shots of the empty drive train compartment. This is the underside of the main rear tub.

Here you can see the fuel filter, the fuel tank cross tube and the Evap unit.

A look down the tunnel from the rear looking forward.

The TT slid back pretty easily. I’ve done it before – but never on an A4 and never alone.

Tranny jack made the job easy.

Ready to pop the diff off.

It came off without any drama.

Next, I pulled the TT off the front of the tranny.

The tranny with the stock torque converter.

Pulled that off.

Here are the stock and Yank converters side-by-side. Dramatic difference.

I filled the Yank with a quart of Dexron III – took forever to seep in so I did other things in between pouring bits at a time. Even had time to take this pic.

Assembled the 3.42 ratio diff to the tranny and torqued everything down.

I slid the Yank onto the tranny pump shaft.

Last edited by Patches; 08-04-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And torqued the three bolts through the flex plate.

Here’s the completed TT sub-assembly ready to be reinstalled.

Mrs. Patches caught me shoving the TT back into place. It actually went in quite smoothly. Once again, the tranny jack was more than worth the selling price when doing this task alone.

The drive train back in place and supported.

I pushed the crossmember back in position and lifted it into place with the jack. Then I jacked the lower A-arms up, reinserted the axles and reconnected the upper A-arms, shocks and brakes. Of course, there were the various lines, connectors and clips that need to be reconnected as well.

Moving on to the headers, I pulled the stock manifolds off and unbolted the starter.

I had heat-shielded the starter on my M6 so I did the same with this one to protect it from any extra heat the headers might radiate.

The AR headers went in very easily but the starter wires weren’t as easy to reconnect as I had hoped. Still, they eventually went in fine.

The trusty jack once again was handy in holding the tunnel plate up for installation.

Looked great in place.

I also used the jack to hold the mid-pipe section in place while I assembled the exhaust system.

I devised this method to hold the muffler tips even while I tightened the bolts. Worked great.

The completed exhaust setup.

To start the tranny cooler installation, I freed up the fan shroud to give me room to get behind the radiator.

I cleaned the radiator/condenser thoroughly.

Assembled the cooler components.

Placed the cooler in front of the condenser.

Here you can see the retainers at the back of the radiator.

Getting the cooler hooked to the tranny fluid lines took a bit of imagination as there are no adapters for directly attaching a cooler to the lines for later model ‘02’s and later. I had to splice into the return line but it worked well. I also had an issue updating the PCM with the new diff ratio but I believe I now have that squared away as well.

After topping the tranny off with fluid and triple checking all my work. I took the car for a long, relaxing ride (Yank says to break in the TC for 120 miles before any WOT runs.) The A4 is like a whole different car. It accelerates with authority and sounds much better (gears, TC and headers). The car is so much more responsive I was taken by surprise. Small throttle inputs now create significant surges of thrust forward.

NO drivability has been lost – in fact, the car actually feels tighter than when it was stock. Mrs. Patches reminded me about the Elite tunnel plate I installed and the billet-feel I was experiencing made more sense. The response of the car is definitely what I was hoping for – and I have been light-footed so far in deference to the new TC. Can’t wait to see what WOT is like.

I have to rethink my whole attitude towards automatic Corvettes now. I have to say this A4 is very close to the fun factor of my head/cam/headered, etc. M6. Wait ‘til Mrs. Patches drives this thing – she may never let me into the driver’s seat again.

What a fun vacation!

Last edited by Patches; 07-10-2007 at 05:51 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Patches:
jjc508520 (01-12-2018), Proud Owner (12-16-2015), Richard Daugird (08-13-2021), tdf01cycling (01-11-2018), tombrammer (10-27-2020), twin383 (03-09-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 PM
SLO C5
Race Director

Location: Are you fat because you're lazy or lazy because you're fat? San Jose, CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Very nice!

Which EE tunnel plate did you go with? I'm about to order one to install with my LG Pros and am leaning toward the 1/4" aluminum piece.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:00 AM
bail04coup
Racer

Nice pics. Looks like alot of work!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
dw99vette
Pro

Location: 15 miles south from the Raisin Capitol of the World Caifornia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job and detailed pics. I will be saving this for when it is time to do mine. I also like that TT lift, is it from Staples or Office Depot ?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Great pics
Thanks for sharing....
Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice informative writeup - thanks for taking the time
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.

Grate info and pics thanks for taking the time.

Iv told people about a A4 being a good way to go, you are showing them.

Paul G.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Very nicely done. You made the job look easy, but I know it's a PITA job.

I was wondering about the lift you use. Is it bolted to the floor ? Also can you hold up the car just by the jacking points on the rails so that you can drop the entire drive train in one shot.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Very nicely done. You made the job look easy.

Great pictures of a meticulous installation.

Very well done.
The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (10-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
Great pictures of a meticulous installation. Very well done.
Superb in every way!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patches, Geesuzz! What an awesome and very thorough job! Well done, good buddy! And, thank you for always taking the time to fill us in with detailed pics and thoughtful write-ups. It is always a pleasure to read about your C5 mod projects! Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Very detailed and a job well done and I bet that woke your baby up
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Patches,
I knew you were going to like that set-up when we talked a few weeks ago. Great job and a good looking install. Mrs. Patches may want to get some stickier tires when she puts the foot down.

Chuck
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Awesome set of pics showing all the changes. Nice job.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
deathinnovember
Burning Brakes

Great install and awesome pictures!

Did you notice a difference with the tunnel brace though. IE Cabin temperature and handling?

I would like to get one becase my right leg gets hotter than heck after cruising. But I don't want to justify something like that unless there is some sort of performance gain.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed headers, 3.42 diff, TC and Tunnel plate (Mega-pics)

Old 07-10-2007, 08:53 AM
M6 Vetter
Melting Slicks

Nice work an a great write up
Very fun to read

Thanks for sharing this with us
Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Z06HPISFUN
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by M6 Vetter
Nice work an a great write up
Very fun to read

Thanks for sharing this with us
Couldn't agree more!! That is exactly what I'd love to do to my 04 A4. But as I always say "If you see me with any type of tool in my hands, it means I just broke something or I am about to".
Awesome job.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Great work!

It's a great thing when one has a lift ones garage

I just had my Yank ss3200 installed in my '98 and 3.42's as well.

i should be getting it back today after the tuning.

Are you going to have yours tuned or are you able to do that also?

If it gets Dyno tuned please share the results of all your hard labor

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: Installed headers, 3.42 diff, TC and Tunnel plate (Mega-pics)