Sponsored by:

Problem with Day/Night rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Problem with Day/Night rear view mirror

Hope someone can help me out. I have an '03 convertible and it has the automatic day/night mirror that has stopped working. The green LED is no longer lit and when I press the IO button, nothing happens.

I've checked the wiring to the mirror and it seems ok so I don't know where the problem is. The driver side door mirror is the same and it no longer works as well. I can't imagine it would have it's own fuse and nothing else seems to be wrong. All the dash board lights still work including the dimmer. Radio works. Instrument cluster and the message center work. Climate control works too. Power seats, power door locks, power windows. Trunk and fuel door release work.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Thanks.
Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 08-21-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 PM
LLVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...I'm not the only one!! My 01 Coupe is the same. I have the wiring diagrams and still can't find the problem. There is a specific fuse to check. I'll dig it up and get back to you. If you have a service manual you can find the diagram or I can send you the diagram if you send me your email address. If you discover the problem, be sure to let me know.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Its fuse #21 on the Instrument panel fuse block (passenger footwell)

Its a multi function fuse combined with the Auto transmission shift, lock control system and the rearview mirror
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Just wanted to thank you guys for solving my problem. I hadn't realized that my back up lights weren't working either. I haven't been driving in reverse at night the past few nights so I never noticed they weren't on. The 10A fuse, #21 on the inside fuse box, had blown. Replaced it and now everything is working normally.

Again, my thanks.
Stan.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
LLVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeman28a
Just wanted to thank you guys for solving my problem. I hadn't realized that my back up lights weren't working either. I haven't been driving in reverse at night the past few nights so I never noticed they weren't on. The 10A fuse, #21 on the inside fuse box, had blown. Replaced it and now everything is working normally.

Again, my thanks.
Stan.
Glad to hear of your success. I wish mine was that simple.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm glad you found the blown fuse. Now why did the fuse fail? Fuses aren't there for us to MAKE the repair, but more to save us from a more serious one.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Spoke too soon. A couple of hours after I replaced the fuse, it blew. I replaced that and when I put it in reverse, that blew too. I must have a short somewhere, now I just got to find it.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:53 AM
Vert'd Z0
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Default still no luck....

Originally Posted by LLVETTE
Glad to hear of your success. I wish mine was that simple.
i was having the same issue shortly after i had bought my '02 z0. everything working fine, now, the electrochromic mirror function has stopped working (inside and out) and my map light/approach lights in the rearview have stopped working as well. checked the #21 fuse in the footwell, but it is fine.

any other thoughts?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:31 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Spoke too soon. A couple of hours after I replaced the fuse, it blew. I replaced that and when I put it in reverse, that blew too. I must have a short somewhere, now I just got to find it.
Ive had that snag on both the Camaro (twice) and the Explorer. I'd bet money on the fact that its the reversing light switch on the transmission.

Its an easy fix. Undo the electrical connector unscrew the switch. A little fluid will seep out so be ready with the new switch. Hook up the connector and youre done.. Its a $40 part and a 10 min job.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by 02Perfect
i was having the same issue shortly after i had bought my '02 z0. everything working fine, now, the electrochromic mirror function has stopped working (inside and out) and my map light/approach lights in the rearview have stopped working as well. checked the #21 fuse in the footwell, but it is fine.

any other thoughts?
That's the odd thing on mine. When the fuse blows, it only seems to affect the day/night mirrors in and out and the reverse lights. The map lights on the mirror still work. Not to mention the light that is always on shining on the shifter.

I'm going to try DeeGee's suggestion. Anyway to test it out before buying the part and finding out that's not it?

Thanks.
Stan.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Originally Posted by DeeGee
I'd bet money on the fact that its the reversing light switch on the transmission.
Well this seems to have worked. Bought the switch at the dealer for $25CDN. Took longer to lift the car than to change the switch. Been running for 3 days and still working.

Thanks for the suggestion DeeGee.

Stan.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Well this seems to have worked. Bought the switch at the dealer for $25CDN. Took longer to lift the car than to change the switch. Been running for 3 days and still working.

Thanks for the suggestion DeeGee.

Stan.
Dont you love the Vette. You have a problem with the rear view mirror and its the reversing light switch on the transmission.

Glad I could help

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Day/Night rear view mirror

Quick Reply: Problem with Day/Night rear view mirror