C5 over C3

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Dalannex
I'm the other way from all of the previous posts. If I can't have both the C5 would have to go. My C3's are here to stay. When you drive around in a C3 people notice you, they love the car and can't help but come up to it for a look. Other classic car guys want to talk shop with you right away. When you drive a C5 you don't even get a second glance. My 1981 has more power and gets the same gas mileage as my 99'. It rides and has brakes the same as my 99'. The steering is just as good as the C5 with the new rack and pinion I just installed. It does however have no storage space for luggage compared to the C5 and it is pretty crowded to sit in and drive compared to the C5. I imagine the A/C in the newer car works better, but I don't use the air in either one because if I'm driving the top is down or off. The C3 and C5 are just different cars. The C3 is a classic style that gets noticed, the C5 is just another car on the road. Both are fun in their own way, but I think you see which one gets my vote.

Now bring on the verbal assault guys.

-Justin
I like turtles............

and all vettes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 78 Vette for my first car. I loved it!!! White on white, t-tops, 4-speed. Awesome car. I wish I could have kept it while buying my Z06... But it needed alot of work and I really need the cash for the down payment on the Z.. I have never looked back!! The C5Z is PERFECT!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Twospeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1977 C-3. It was a great car. Everyone completed it wherever I went. I’m regressing. I had to do a lot of maintaining to keep it in tip top shape especially the brake system. Prone to moisture ingestion which causes the pucks in the calipers to stick. Only fix, replace all calipers and lines with stainless and calipers with stainless steel sleeves. I regret selling the car. Fun to cruse in.
Now on to the C-5 two generations improved! That should say it all, but non C5 drivers will not really understand the significance of that statement until you get being the wheel of one for a while. Not just a hop around the block. I guess it would be like comparing a WWII fighter plane with one of our latest attack aircraft. Yes they both take off and land and they both fly. But they are generations apart as far as the technology and capabilities.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Assault a fellow Corvette owner? Ain't gonna happen!

I would say that my yellow '03 Z06 draws some serious attention...but I agree that I'd be more likely to come out and look at a sweet C3 than just about any C5.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

I have an 82 and a 2004 coupe. The 82 is more sexy but nowhere near as comfortable and fun as the c5. I love both 82 for looks 2004 for comfort and ride.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:06 PM
versatile
Drifting

Keep the C3 for the time being, right now you are looking at spending money on top of your C3 to get into a C5. C3's are on the rise while C5's are on the downward spiral. Enjoy what you have for 2 more years and you will likely be in a position to make the change for little to no money diff. By then after driving a c5 or 2, you will know what to do and at the same time benefit from the element of time.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 PM
79inSD
Racer

Originally Posted by steveorino
Most of my adult life I have loved the C3 design. I have a 1981 vette. Lately, though I have been admiring the C5 design lately. I think it has enough curves to make it look like a Vette (to me)

I'm toying with the idea of selling the '81 and buying an '02

Has anyone else done that? Any regrets? No, I cannot keep both.
I have a 79 and I bought the C5 after it. I am going to sell the C3 to put the money into the C5. It is a matter of opinion; I do like the C3 and want to eventually get another one in the future. But if you are looking for performance get the C5. Also the C5 has grown on me, the more I look at it the more I like it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
hyprsprt
Burning Brakes

Received 526 Likes on 274 Posts

as you can see im lucky to have both a 72 c3 vert and a c5 vert both are good looking cars the c5 will give you a better performance,more, m/p/g ,more features ,refined power and every day reliability but the c3will give you something the c5 never will,the excitement of driving a 30+ y/o car the raw power the looks (as nice as the c5 are,in my opinion the early c3 are way sexier)and of course the "wow,that is a really nice car" from everyone incluiding the ricers so if i have to pick one, well, my c3 vert(in a NY minute)

Last edited by hyprsprt; 08-28-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

I have noticed the prices of late C3s increasing although I do not understand why. If you can get a good price sell it and get a C5/C6. I had 2 C3s back in the day when they were just my daily drivers. A 69 BB roadster and a 71 LS6 BB coupe. After 71 the C3s started a long down hill slide in performance with the 75-82 (weight/horsepower, etc) models being the worst. The latter models got really fat compared to the early cars and added close to 400 lbs. If I lost my mind and decided to to buy another C3 it would be a 2 chrome bumper car. You can add more power but the handling isn't up there with the C5/C6 generation so the extra power doesn't get you where you need to be.

Bill
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM
c3_enthusiast
Racer

if you had a 'bumper car' Id say stick with it.

As you can tell from my name c3_enthusiast, I LOVE c3s. But, b/c I was tired of looking at junk c3 and wanted to enjoy my car, I went after the next best (in my opinion).. the c5

With the c5 comes more comfort, fuel economy, reliability.... but not nostalgia.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,562 Likes on 14,117 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If it were me, I'd sell the C3 and get a C5. The C5 just has so many advantages over the C3 - fuel economy, comfort, ergonomics, performance, safety enhancements, etc.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 AM
milo30
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 78 and recently got a 2000. Wife has a 96 and I used to have a 96 LT4. As a daily driver I enjoyed the C4 more than the C3 and the C5 more than the C4. I was lucky and kept the C3.

I know the C5 will go some day but the C3 never will. Different animals altogether. The looks and feel of the C3 just can't be replaced. If it was me and I was getting a DD then go for the C5. If it's just a weekend car, personally I'd keep the C3. Not for reasons of money. Everyone has a C5.

I doubt you would regret either decision.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I also have both. And as it's already been said, it's apples and oranges. I got my '75 first, and have been steadily working on it over the last year. I'm much more emotionally tied to the C3 than I am the '01 vert. Plus you will never get the sound or look of sidemount headers and sidepipes out of a C5 that you do in a C3. But for comfort and driveability, the C5 is dead nuts, hands down. Performance can be had in either, obviously. The C5 is pretty damn fast bone stock, whereas I had to do an engine swap to get any performance at all out of the '75.

Tough call indeed. I'd be hard pressed to sell one to have the other.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Depends on what you are gonna do with it.

Without a doubt, the C3 is one of the finest cars ever made. IMO you cant touch the looks of that car. If its gonna sit in the garage, and go out once in a while for a "joy ride" or to the track or whatever (performance) type driving, its great (but you know that).

On the other hand, the C5 is a world away. It will cruise better, handle better, and just drive better. Quieter inside, softer ride, better stock audio (probably), probably better milage, and I dont know enough about the C3 you have to say, but I bet any C5 is probably quicker. <== thats a very general statement, just a ballpark thing, but on the whole = true.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Vette-kid
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by steveorino
Most of my adult life I have loved the C3 design. I have a 1981 vette. Lately, though I have been admiring the C5 design lately. I think it has enough curves to make it look like a Vette (to me)

I'm toying with the idea of selling the '81 and buying an '02

Has anyone else done that? Any regrets? No, I cannot keep both.
funny you should mention this, because I DESPERATELY want a late model C3. Not enough to get rid of my C5Z, but i would love to get my hands on a late model C3...say an 80-81 model. Im a few months off from it yet, but I though I would toss that out there.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I used to own a C3 and hated it. I love my C5, would not ever get rid of it
Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM
madman91
Burning Brakes

In important note, the c3's are a whole lot easier to work on. I traded my 78 in for my z. Do i regret it? No not at all. But i miss my c3 so bad it hurts! And i will have another one soon.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 over C3

Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
steveorino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vette-kid
funny you should mention this, because I DESPERATELY want a late model C3. Not enough to get rid of my C5Z, but i would love to get my hands on a late model C3...say an 80-81 model. Im a few months off from it yet, but I though I would toss that out there.
Give me a ring in a few months.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 AM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the other way from all of the previous posts. If I can't have both the C5 would have to go. My C3's are here to stay. When you drive around in a C3 people notice you, they love the car and can't help but come up to it for a look. Other classic car guys want to talk shop with you right away. When you drive a C5 you don't even get a second glance. My 1981 has more power and gets the same gas mileage as my 99'. It rides and has brakes the same as my 99'. The steering is just as good as the C5 with the new rack and pinion I just installed. It does however have no storage space for luggage compared to the C5 and it is pretty crowded to sit in and drive compared to the C5. I imagine the A/C in the newer car works better, but I don't use the air in either one because if I'm driving the top is down or off. The C3 and C5 are just different cars. The C3 is a classic style that gets noticed, the C5 is just another car on the road. Both are fun in their own way, but I think you see which one gets my vote.

-Justin
No verbal assult here but how are you making more power in the c3 and getting the same mileage as the c5.obviously youve modified the c3,did you switch to fuel injection maybe? also i don't ever think the c5 will be just another car on the road although not as rare a sight as the c3. both beautiful cars
Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
liljohnny555
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

I had a 77 Ttop. Very beautiful white/red. Loved the looks. Not so much the comfort, reliability. or economy.
Now have an '03 Coupe EBM. It is everything the C3 wasn't.
C5=excellent Corvette!!

Quick Reply: C5 over C3