2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I would love to perform this mod, however I have leather-covered visors and I'm afraid of messing them up.

In the meantime, I will continue to haul the my brick-size opener in the center console.

I was also thinking about a Homelink rearview mirror, but I can't find any that has the Homelink AND map lights underneath similar to my OEM mirror. Plus I like the orange glow light.

Last edited by MSG C5; 08-16-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM
CruisePlanner
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had to do this as mod..............

So, I got a homelink from a late model Cadi w/ the little house on it. Took apart current visor and put it all together exactly like all the pics and instruction say and pugged it back in.

1. Lights work on visor perfectly
2. no light on the home link when I hit the button. Also, it will not "train" to my liftmaster door opener - tried 4 times (Even went online and watch video and reread instructions about 5 times - yes I went to public school.)
3. Took it all apart and reversed the wires, plugged back in and lights work on visor.
4. No light on homelink again when I hit the button and again will not train to my liftmaster.

Any thoughts?

Since the lights and the homelink are connect in series like all the pics, Can I assume that power is getting to the homelink unit is the lights in the visor work. Could I have purchased the one bad homelink visor at the junk yard?

Sorry guys, but I am a water guy - not an electrical guy!

=============

SO, after some additional trial and ERROR, I WAS able to get it to work....... Happy, Happy, Happy! (When I switched the wires, one was not "seated" good enough. Live and learn.

Last edited by CruisePlanner; 10-23-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 10-23-2013, 04:39 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 554 Likes on 293 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Are you sure that you got the correct homelink? You will probably need the one that has the "little house" on the cover for the buttons. the older ones do not work with the newer openers or maybe you have an older opener and the newer style homelink. when I got a new opener, I had to get a new style homelink to make it work.

Just a thought.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Just did this to mine as well. Yes, you need the one with the house symbol on it. My drivers visor was toast anyway, so decided to fix the floppy ear at the same time. All went well but the upholstery shop I used did a lousy job when they sewed it up. Crooked and the seam is too far from the edge. I think I'll just order some new visors and move the home link over to it.

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-24-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM
CINNEMAN
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '14

Thats pretty slick.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Bat66
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

did this mod sat evening $10 sunvisor off a Lincoln Navigator , 30 mins later I got three botton garage door opener in my 2007, just need to take it to my shoe repair guy and get it stitch back up. Glad I stumble across this thread.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM
always1961
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks like a great mod...Glad I found this thread.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 AM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Originally Posted by always1961
This looks like a great mod...Glad I found this thread.
Inexpensive easy do it yourself mod.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 AM
EDenney
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you very much for this thread an pics, they're very helpful. Never even heard of Homelink until I started researching visor solutions a couple weeks ago, sick of my dog eared stock visors. Saw many people talk about doing this mod, and decided it would be nice to get rid of the opener clipped to (and wearing on) my visor. Bought a newer rolling code unit off eBay for about $20, guaranteed to work, and almost bought a set of aftermarket visors for around $85 each, but I decided I'm going to find a good local upholstery shop and have my visors re-covered in black leather with the Corvette logo embroidered on it, and just have the Homelink installed at the same time. A guy that posted on Digitalcorvettes had his visors done exactly like this for $55 total including the embroidery (not sure if he had Homelink though), and they look beautiful. I expect to pay more than that, but if I can get them done for $100 or less with the Homelink installed, I'll be very satisfied. Still cheaper than purchasing a pair of aftermarkets with fabric, and WAY cheaper than dealer visors. Will post picks when done if I'm able to find someone to do it.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 316 Likes on 180 Posts

Default ! My Transmitter Solution

Let me pass on my story about garage door openers and, well . . . .

I decided I had to do something about the garage door opener as well on my 2004, so I went to E-Bay and bought the proper Homelink transmitter from another visor, put it in the shop cabinet while I searched for a used visor in Shale color, since my originals were in great shape and I didn't want to mess one up just in case I ever needed/wanted to go back.

After several attempts to find the proper color and one unsuccessful purchase (which I returned since the visor was stained with oil/grease and I didn't want to mess with it), I began to think about the obvious cavity in the dash where the ashtray resides. I tried to "work" my original garage door transmitter into there with no luck. After thinking on it a couple of days (I'm a bit slow, rode the short yellow bus) I removed the ash tray since NOBODY smokes in my car, and Voila!! After removing the spring visor clip from my original garage door remote, it fits exactly where the old ash tray used to reside! It operates the door without having to be removed, and is readily accessible by opening the ash tray door, and hidden away with the door closed. Best of all the cost is absolutely ZERO!

Anybody wanna buy a Homelink visor transmitter in as close a color to shale as you can come???

Old 03-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Drumzy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

digitalcorvette link isn't working

Originally Posted by RLYSLO
After reading a few threads a while back about people installing homelinks in their visors, I decided to do the same. I bought a homelink module on ebay. If you can't find just the module, you can buy a salvage visor from any other vehicle that has one and just tear it open and pull it out.

So this morning I took out all the threads/stitching holding the visor together, opened it up and proceded with the install. I used this thread as a guide:
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...light=homelink

It is an excellent guide, and I just pretty much followed it to the letter. I marked off the area, used a cutting wheel on the dremel to cut off the pressed wood section where the module would go. I bought some double sided tape and taped the module in place, then spliced into the visor lighting just as the above thread shows on the pictures. I plugged it in to verify it was getting power and then disconnected it again. Total time to install the module into the visor was maybe an hour, and that's with searching around some for the tools/parts I needed. It was very easy.

I took the visor up to an auto upholstery shop in plano and the guy working there was nice enough to sew it back together for me on the spot. He took only a few minutes, and he refused to take any payment for it.. very very nice of him.

Then I brought it back home, installed the visor and programmed both the garage door and the apartment gate openers. Total time to program them was maybe 3 minutes. It was extremely easy.

Overall an excellent addition to the car, and the total cost was $40

here is a pic:

Quick Reply: Installed my Homelink module in my visor