Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed my engine with a water hose today and guess what.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
saxtonfwd
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
More beer.
I am just down the road in Jacksonville, what is your brand
Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Kevin993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is creepy weird. Thinking this was a new thread I went to respond to commend the OP on such a nice job only to find I, myself, had already replied to this thread.... three years ago!!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM
rcoughenour
Advanced

Ok guys I did it. I went out in the laaundry room, aka the garage, and found some Enviro friendly all purpose cleaner. Hell it has coconut oil in it so it must be good. The engine was warm but not hot, I took off the rail covers and sprayed me Enviro friendly cleaner on and around the the valve covers and injectors and coils. let is soak a while and then hosed it off with a good spray. I used my air hose to blow off all the water and made sure it was all dried. Started the engine abd all is well and clean. After thought, I should have tane pictures....Oh wll it is clean. Thanks everyone for all the help.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by tomurphjr
Looks good. Now put some CDW-2 on it and make it look even better.

Here's mine after a slight scrub and CDW-2

303 Aerospace also works great as it does on almost any surface>
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 AM
TheoZ
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great. But you might want to be carefull useing Simple Green on aluminum. I wouldn't let it near my airplane, and I avoid using it on the Vette either. You have to insure it is completely rinsed off. They make a special aircraft version that should be ok.

From their web site:

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
braveheart3158
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hosed engine now not running right

I figured to get all the oil that was caked on off with a can of engine bright on Sunday June 10th. This way it will be easier for my mechanic to look for the exact cause of the leak. I have done this many years ago in the days of points, rotors and distributer caps. Since I did not see any distributer cap on the 94 vette there was nothing to keep from getting when when I hose it off. WRONG!! Turns out the distributer is mounted horizontal behind the water pump. Exactly where I made sure I put plenty of water from the hose There is now water in the distributer. Car is missing and backfiring and would not start. As of today Thursday June 13 it has been 4 days since it happened on Sunday. I have just started it 3 times and let idle for a few minutes. As of today it seems better but not 100%. When I step on gas it still pops a little and loss of power....OK the question is - Will the water evaporate over time? Will it do any damage when I idle it? It's not missing or at least popping during idle at this point just running a little rough... This is my first Vette and have only had it for about 3 months. Today I unpluged a few electrical harness clips in the front of the engine and blew air on the contacts. I also pulled the top plug wire on the opticap just to see if there was any water. I did not see any. Not running better. Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Ole Blaster
Pro

great job.....
Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,676 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Looks great!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Vetteriffic
Pro

I try to keep mine clean with a weekly wipe down so I don't need to get that drastic...but looks good....
Old 06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job. I use Simple Green 50/50 and keep it in a small bug sprayer. Pump it up and spray away. Been using it on the Harley since new...spray on, hose off and towel dry. It's also good for softening bug splatter on the nose. Great product.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 AM
braveheart3158
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replies broke?

Looks like someone tried to reply to this thread but the reply is blank. Is this broken?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
FLK-JR
Instructor

Your engine looks great!!!!!!!!!! Just did mine last night to get ready for the carshows today.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Good job!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 AM
andrec10
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are done cleaning, spray the engine bay with 303 Protectent, looks amazing after that!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM
navyvetteran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you put a weather strip under the front of the hood the engine stays clean. Corvette
Central Part 465049 $15.95
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using SG on my engines since I was a kid. Now in my 40's, I still use it. I will say I use other brands as well, Power P and such. Only issues I've ever had is getting the Dist wet. Causing the car/truck to run like crap until the moisture burns off. I've done my 97' C5 twice now since owning it. The last time I did it I rushed off to work right after doing it. I used a leaf blower to dry it off and then drove it to dry the rest. But on the way, I lost power and the message came on about the 2mph.... I shut it off on the side of the road which was close to the house still. Lit it sit a minute, then it fired up. Ran back to the house, used my air compressor to blow out any and all plugs I could find in the engine compartment, grounding plugs, sensors, whatever I could find. The car has been fine since. Only issue I ever see with using SG or other degreasers, is it gives rubber hoses and such a white out look. So I use rubber/plastic protectant/shiner on them and that solves the problem.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Vetteriffic
Pro

big difference...mine is fairly clean but there are spots that could use a good spray....thx for the pics and the how to do's....
Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 AM
sbulla
Racer

Originally Posted by Red3644
I try to avoid getting the battery area (computer underneath) and alternator wet but that's about it.
Doesn't anyone disconnect their battery when washing the engine?

I always have for some reason.

Sonny

Quick Reply: Washed my engine with a water hose today and guess what.