Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 trunk does not open

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 PM
sracherla
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, fellows. I am still battling this.

Found relay 39 (in passenger side fuse box) and swapped it with relay 42 (same part #). Still no luck. When I press the trunk button on the dash or the key fob - nothing happens. no click, no movement, nada. I am guessing it is not the relay.

I have to buy a test light to see if it is the solenoid.

Also, ruled out the cargo net. Not it.

any other ideas?

Originally Posted by duramaxsky
Find the relay for the trunk and place your finger on it. Then push the button on the remote. You should feel it click. If not remove the relay and find the relay signal terminal. Push the remote button and see if it lights a test light. If so the relay is bad. If the relay clicks put a test light on the output terminal of the relay while installed. Push the remote button and if it lights the problem may be the solenoid. If not its the relay. If the relay is good put the test light in the pos wire on the release solenoid and see if its getting power when you push the remote button. If so its the problem. You can try the last part first and test the relay all at once to save time if its not too hard to get to the plug. I have not looked at my car to see how hard it is to access. The relay is easy its in the fuse box. Could be inside or under the hood.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (09-11-2018)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Since I don't have a vert, this is may/may not have nothing to do with it.
fuse 17...tonneau release
micro relay #41......tonneau release.
Both in the passenger footwell.
You may have already checked them, but thought I would mention it..

tracer1
Old 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

I just tried popping the tonneau, then pushed the trunk release. I get three loud dings from the inst panel each time I press the trunk release. If you're not getting the warnings, it's probably not the tonneau. If you can get to the trunk release solenoid, measure for 12 volts while someone presses the trunk release.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by sracherla
Alright, fellows. I am still battling this.

Found relay 39 (in passenger side fuse box) and swapped it with relay 42 (same part #). Still no luck. When I press the trunk button on the dash or the key fob - nothing happens. no click, no movement, nada. I am guessing it is not the relay.

I have to buy a test light to see if it is the solenoid.

Also, ruled out the cargo net. Not it.

any other ideas?
If you push the release button and the relay won't click it may be the relay or the relay is not getting the signal. You need a test light. Pull the relay out and ground the wire from the test light. Probe the terminals where the relay came out. 1 should have constant power. If so probe the ohters 1 at a time and push the remote button. ! of the others should light the test light when you do. If so its the relay. If the relay won't click its before the solenoid. The BCM may not be sending the signal to the relay. Have someone push the button on the dash to see if the relay clicks.

Last edited by duramaxsky; 07-16-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:21 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I just tried popping the tonneau, then pushed the trunk release. I get three loud dings from the inst panel each time I press the trunk release. If you're not getting the warnings, it's probably not the tonneau. If you can get to the trunk release solenoid, measure for 12 volts while someone presses the trunk release.
Thanks, that clears up my last post. I know on the coupe if one side of mine isn't closed all the way, the key fob & button won't work but I get a msg "hatch ajar" on the dic. I may get the 3 dings but have never noticed them. It was just a wild stab on my part. If the relays are good, I would check the solenoid as someone mentioned previously. If nothing else I would pm Bill Curlee or ET, they may be familiar with this. Just a thought.

tracer1
Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, did you put a new battery in since this is where it all seemed to start? Looks like you are getting a lot of good information, just curious.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
sracherla
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmarkshark
So, did you put a new battery in since this is where it all seemed to start? Looks like you are getting a lot of good information, just curious.
Yes.

The problem still exists. I've exhausted all possibilities except opening the trunk lid lock assembly.

The funny thing is it worked the other day once using the remote button.

I dont know what else to do...
Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I can't help you, however when I reach that stage, double Jack Danields on the rocks works.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes.

The problem still exists. I've exhausted all possibilities except opening the trunk lid lock assembly.

The funny thing is it worked the other day once using the remote button.

I don't know what else to do...
If it worked the other day it could be a loose connection or bad solenoid.
I would open the trunk manually and check for power at the solenoid and hot wire the solenoid to see if you can get it to work.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did someone ever fix this problem .Mine does it now off an on it pisses me off..!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lock-outs that keep the trunk from opening accidentally if you are driving.

One of those may have failed, too.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:58 PM
dirty-c5
Racer

If any one found any thing on this let me know I have the same issue with my 98 coupe. Tried all of the above
Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty-c5
If any one found any thing on this let me know I have the same issue with my 98 coupe. Tried all of the above
Start a new Thread and tell us what you have tried to do.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:40 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Until U get the problem fixed I THINK U can insert your key into the drivers door and turn it to the left and the hatch will pop open.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:26 PM
melloyello01
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Until U get the problem fixed I THINK U can insert your key into the drivers door and turn it to the left and the hatch will pop open.
This may not help OP, but bjones is correct. Well actually for me it was 1st right, then left, but the hatch did pop open! Good to know.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Where did you guys find that info on using the door key. I don't see it in the OM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Where did you guys find that info on using the door key. I don't see it in the OM.
I believe I read it on the sticky on this forum for new c5 owners, it had a list of info specific to the c5, really good stuff. When I first joined the forum I read all the info I could find.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 trunk does not open

Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks.

I just looked at a shortcuts list I have by Paul over at the CorvetteMechanic Forum.

"You can put your key in the driver’s door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk."
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Since this is a post opened years ago I'm assuming the guy got the problem fixed.
I did have a similar problem once and found that a moused has gotten into the wiring harness near the right side tail lights and chewed through the wires to the mechanism. The manual release worked, but none of the other three worked. a simple splice of the wire and a few nights of my cat sleeping in the garage, solved the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phanni:
grinder11 (09-27-2021), retiredff (11-09-2018)
Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 PM
1989 Corvette
1st Gear

A few months ago the battery in my C5 died and I had to jump start it. Since then the trunk release button does not work. I am talking about the remote key and the button on the dash- both dont work.

I tried to listen in near the trunk lock and cant hear any movement when I press the trunk open button on the remote key.

any ideas?

is it a fuse?

help appreciated.
Did you ever get an answer to this question? I read through all the threads and did not find a solution to your problem. I am having the same issue with my 2002 convertible. Right after having an issue with my battery I had to replace. I cannot open my trunk using my key fob and button on dash. The key fob does not sound the horn anymore when I arm and disarm. I think it may have something to do with my factory alarm.

thoughts?

Quick Reply: C5 trunk does not open