Sponsored by:

Installed Vararam, now Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 AM
jorgen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
The PCM tries to adjust for the new airflow. Sometimes it can compensate, other times the change is too much and requires a tune. Mine need one as I was starting to develop a ping.
Have you done the tuning and did it resolve the ping?
I have the same issue with my car.
Changes are Varam & Headers.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 PM
sbwheeler
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 vararam and lean codes still a challenge

Time to revive this thread!

So my buddy (druz06) and I decided it was time to take our bone stock Z06 and do some mods. One being the Vararam B2 w/Powerduct.
Here comes the same old story you've heard over and over. we both installed it, 2 /12 hours later, ready to roll. Did the recommended driving instructions and starting popping 1071 & 1074 codes every time we drove it.
We tried all of the following without success-
1. Checked for leaks
2. Tried the MAF in both positions (near air filter and throttle body)
3. Did the idle relearn
4. Purchased the Halltech Honeycomb

In the end, I kept the B2 and went back to stock air bridge, kept Halltech honeycomb installed (pretty sure this is making a difference) and MAF is in stock location near air filter box and WALLUH!! No more lean codes.

You might be thinkng, well that's what chuck cow said years ago in this thread and I can tell you now, this still rings true in 2016. If you are going to use the whole vararam system, a tune seems to be necessary.

Thank you to to all the forum members who posted here as it helped us run through all the troubleshooting. We were hoping to keep the powerduct installed, but the cards weren't in our favor.

2004 Z06 CE, Vararam B2, Halltech Honeycomb, stock air bridge.
Next up- exhaust , druz06 installed some SLP loudmouths and I will be installing some Borla stingers Friday

Borla Stingers, quad tip
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Mods are fun BUT.....

Originally Posted by sbwheeler
Time to revive this thread!

So my buddy (druz06) and I decided it was time to take our bone stock Z06 and do some mods. One being the Vararam B2 w/Powerduct.
Here comes the same old story you've heard over and over. we both installed it, 2 /12 hours later, ready to roll. Did the recommended driving instructions and starting popping 1071 & 1074 codes every time we drove it.
We tried all of the following without success-
1. Checked for leaks
2. Tried the MAF in both positions (near air filter and throttle body)
3. Did the idle relearn
4. Purchased the Halltech Honeycomb

In the end, I kept the B2 and went back to stock air bridge, kept Halltech honeycomb installed (pretty sure this is making a difference) and MAF is in stock location near air filter box and WALLUH!! No more lean codes.

You might be thinkng, well that's what chuck cow said years ago in this thread and I can tell you now, this still rings true in 2016. If you are going to use the whole vararam system, a tune seems to be necessary.

Thank you to to all the forum members who posted here as it helped us run through all the troubleshooting. We were hoping to keep the powerduct installed, but the cards weren't in our favor.
The Power Duct is GREAT, but..... you NEED a tune. MAF should stay up front.

After all the mods you've done... You SHOULD finally get a good tune.

You have NO IDEA what you're missing.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 11-26-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed Vararam, now Check Engine light