Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by XPLOSYV
high miles & high price...hard to say but if they won't come down, i say no go...
seems pretty pricey for what it is. looks decent from the pictures, but who knows until you see it in person. i would suggest sticking to a search closer to home and more in line with the market. if you do decide to go look at it, i would shoot the seller a lowball offer, but within the realm of being realistic (like $11,000) and see the reaction. that at least will give you a feel for whether or not the seller is looking to deal to sell the car. there are too many cars out there in my opinion to make the trip however.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The distance wouldn't bother me (heck, I flew 1400 miles from here to Atlantic City, NJ to get mine and then drove home), but all the marks on the front end would make me think twice. Not sure if that is just dirt or what. Plus lots of miles for that price. And not many options on the car. I think I would wait for one with less miles/in better shape. Prices should go up in the spring, but getting the right car would be worth it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
highpsi98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I wouldn't worry about distance if you're 95% sure it's the car for you. But, at the same time realize you may have to walk away from it if it's not what you want. Don't drive that far and settle for a car that isn't want you want just because you are there and it's semi nice. It does seem a little pricey, and the pics weren't very nice. Ask the dealership to have the car detailed, and then have them take specific pics that you want. If they want to sell the car they should do this for you. My .02 is keep an eye out here on CF in the C5's for sale section. I bought mine from a forum member, and I saw a lot of really nice vette's listed here. Plus most of the guys that have them listed here know what they are talking about, and they know the history of the car. Good luck with the search. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price is out of line.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
trainor
Racer

Originally Posted by UberLegend
Price is out of line.
I bought my 03 a few months back with the same miles. It was detailed with new tires, plugs and tranny service. Offer much lower than they're asking!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Yea the scuffs are what really worried me. And I didn't notice but that carpet does look like *** in the back aswell. I personally would much rather have a car within a few hours aswell but it doesn't seem like there's much around Omaha. For whatever god awful reason I love navy/electron blue, black is great aswell. Don't like verts and dislike frc's else id go after a 99 supercharged one around here for 20k. But I definitely want a 6spd 99-02, prefer 01-02.

So the suspension is generally a problem? That would make me turn away pretty quickly aswell lol. I don't want to buy a car and have to dump money in it from the start.

Starting to lean away on it but I might aswell see if they will clean it ask about some of the defects I can see and shoot them a lowball price and see what happens. I have been looking on the forum alot though aswell as craigslist. Not really sure how the market goes if more people are trying to sell come spring time or what. If so I could be fine with waiting for maybe a nicer lower miles one.

I really rather not have to travel much as I only have 1 day off a week and I can't drive for 20hours straight like some people haha. But I guess for the right car anything is possible.

Thanks for the help everybody if they will take a lowball price ill have to search for someone to go look at it for me possibly.

EDIT: I just found this on buyavette, no pictures yet though and the price is probably a smidge high but I don't know. It did spark my interest. That website seems to have alot but nothing I really like at this moment outside of this one car. BUT the warranty could makeup for it being a little more expensive, and I could probably do 318/mo but id have a larger down payment so it'd be a little less. This one sparked my interest alot more that's for sure, last great year, excluding early 03, to avoid the fuel tank issue! And a great color. Stock exhaust would kinda suck though.

2002 Corvette Z51 For Sale Stock #3041 Electron Blue exterior, Black interior, glass top. 360hp LS1 engine, 6 speed manual transmission, posi rear-end. Coming with a clean Carfax, this 2002 Corvette Z51 is LOADED with factory features, including the rare 6 speed manual transmission, and shows just 61,769 miles. This car's paint is in overall good condition, with a very nice shine to it. Glass top is in good to very good condition with no cracks or de-lamination, and the factory polished wheels are in good to very good condition as well. This car wears a set of recent radial tires, with an average of 8/32nds tread depth remaining. The interior of this 2002 Corvette Z51 shows very good condition seat covers, and good condition door panels. Additions to this car include a BBK 80mm throttle body, twin filter cold air intake, white gauge faces, red brake calipers, short shifter, gloss black shift **** with the C5 logo, and a center console side-mounted cup holder. Subframe is corrosion-free. This car has been fully serviced, and all instrument gauges, lights, turn signals, brakes, engine, transmission and rear-end are all in good operating condition. This Electron Blue coupe won't be here forever, call us before it's gone! Factory features include Heads Up Display, memory package, tilt-n-tele, glass top, 6 speed manual transmission, Z51 Performance Handling package, Bose CD stereo, dual power sport seats, dual zone electronic climate control, cargo net with privacy shade, polished wheels, power windows, power locks, power steering, power brakes, power mirrors, cruise control, ABS, traction control, Active Handling. 61K Miles. FREE 2 YEAR/50K ADDITIONAL MILE WARRANTY WHEN PURCHASED AT ADVERTISED PRICE, GOOD AT ANY REPAIR FACILITY NATIONWIDE!! KBB Value: $21,573. Our Price: $19,999 or 10% down with payments as low as $318/month W.A.C.

Last edited by Johnn999; 02-10-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree with others that it is too expensive for that car and you should take a little time to search for one that you want at a good price.

I also like the navy blue. I just bought one last month.

The other color I like is the magnetic red. There is one for sale "local" for you in Lincoln. It looks very nice in the ad and has half the mileage. His asking price is 16k, but frequently you can offer less and might be about the same as the first one you posted. Link is below. I have no connection with this car or owner, I just thought it looked nice.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/2833689251.html

Happy hunting.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Rail
I'm in with the high price , but distance has nothing to do with it ,if you like it, have it looked at buy a reliable place and bring her home , I found mine in California and I live in Ottawa , 5200kms away. Look at the distance has an adventure, me and my wife drove it from LA and had a blast.Ron
I'm with Ron.

I flew into Baltimore & Drove mine back 1300km's [13 hrs] -- Find what you want, at the price you want - it's out there. Don't settle.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you may be too hung up on color. If you just look for the best Vette for that price range you'll have better luck. I agree with the others that it seems a bit pricey for the miles and apparent condition. For that money you should be able to get a nice car but remember Spring is right around the corner and with it an increase in Vette prices.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

I might give that red one a look. Only reason I didn't was they didn't give any information at all but i never noticed the low *** miles either. Yea I am kinda hung up about the color cause I love blue vettes lol. Id gladly pay a little extra for the right color. I wonder how much the prices rise in general come spring time. I would imagine there would be alot more for sale aswell though.

I emailed buyavette for more pictures haven't got them yet and emailed the dealership a bunch of questions and no reply yet.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:41 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

The prices may go up in the spring , but if the seller is serious I'm sure you can cut a deal. there's alot for sale ,I think it's a buyers market.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

I would avoid buying from a dealer. You'll get no warranty on these older, higher mileage cars anyway and they will rape you on financing.

Go to a bank or C/U and get a loan first. I would shop private party sales first. You'll get a better deal and the same process should apply as buying from a dealer: get it looked over by a good mechanic or maybe someone on this board that is knowledgeable.

A dealer is in business to make money and they don't care about you at all. They can't get you financing any easier than you could on your own.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Thanks for all the help guys. Dealer must not want to sell they never emailed me back, emailed for that red one in Lincoln and no reply either. So ill keep looking for the right one hopefully close Which is good cause paying for college just set me back a bit haha.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'd be surprised if they had $10K in that car. The price is definitely too high.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

Shot them a email for http://executivemotorcarz.com/vehicl...illinois-60044 Like a 8 hour drive but looks like a nice car. Minor tear on the seat interior color is not ideal but its liveable. Asked them a few questions and what can they do on the price. Probably won't get down to what id like but its worth a shot!

Ill try and get a pre approved car loan through my credit union on wed, have to change my address and get a new license, and after I see what I can get ill start looking harder.

Last edited by Johnn999; 02-18-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
mcpdk9
Cruising

Price is too high. I just bought a 98 Base with 43,000 miles on it in excellent condition for $15,000. Had to drive 2 1/2 hours to get it but was worth it.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Johnn999
Instructor

Yea im going to see how low they will go, if not any lower then probably 17k I won't go for it. Wish I could find cars like that within 2 hours my life would be easy.

For the one they linked most recently I asked a few questions, they didn't give me an answer on what they can do for a price but they sent me a carfax aswell. Wonder what the odds of them going from 20 to 17k would be.

I have attached the carfax for this corvette showing that it is a clean history no accident vehicle with 4 previous owners, from the carfax it looks like owner 3 and 4 may have been the same person. This Corvette is ready to go with no issues. When we initially purchased this Corvette it needed a head light motor which we had replaced. As you can see from our web site we sell quite a few corvettes and own them ourselves as enthusiast so we are quite knowledgeable and know what to look for when purchasing the right Corvette. As for the tear in the seat, it was very minor and we did have it repaired by a local leather upholster/repairer. This vehicle was a private purchase directly from the previous owner. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions, I will do my best to get you a video of this vehicle running. Thanks!

Last edited by Johnn999; 02-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Worth 5-6hours drive?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 PM
sonny557
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Corvette Warehouse Dallas Tx

http://www.corvettewarehouse.com/veh...as-Texas-75220

Corvette warehouse dallas tx always has some nice cars.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Johnn999
Instructor

The only thing im concerned about is the cost to drive back. If I flew or drove a rental all the way from Omaha to Dallas and then either rental car back or a vette back that'd probably cost a decent chunk. The savings on a car down there might be exceeded by the cost of going to get the vehicle. I guess id have to do the math.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn999
The only thing im concerned about is the cost to drive back. If I flew or drove a rental all the way from Omaha to Dallas and then either rental car back or a vette back that'd probably cost a decent chunk. The savings on a car down there might be exceeded by the cost of going to get the vehicle. I guess id have to do the math.
You're in the exact same situation I'm in (I'm from KC). There is nothing but crap anywhere for hundreds of miles around KC and Omaha, very frustrating, lol. Every day I see all these cars for sale out in CA or FL with no ability to really do anything about it without hopping on a plane and taking a big chance. There was one about 100 miles away that was close for me but it was about $2k too high and they wouldn't budge at all on the price or else I'd be in it right now. What I can't figure out in the KC area is that it seems like no vettes are selling (same ones have been posted for months) but the prices aren't dropping at all. That 2002 yellow one in Springfield has been listed at $17.9k since October and it still hasn't sold or gone down in price...you would think that 5 months might indicate the price was too high, lol.

I think that eventually I'm going to have to get on a plane and go to CA, FL, or TX, as that seems where you have to be to get a decent price on a vette (or even be able to find one you're looking for...that's half my problem as well, finding an automatic dark red vette sucks. I would have been done in a week looking for silver instead of still searching 2 1/2 months later).

Quick Reply: Worth 5-6hours drive?