Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
hiyosilver01
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ballasts and bi-xenon bulbs are not included with the conversion service, is this correct?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:30 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey_7106
interested! i think i might have asked you a few times before if you were willing to do a conversion for me
Given the interest shown here, I'm sure It won't be an issue to do both conversions and brand new kits.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Would you also fix the "bounce" that apparently plague the ACA's? Never owned a set, just read a few owners mentioning it being an issue.
Originally Posted by theradioflyer
Possibly. Having never owned a set of ACA headlights, I'm not exactly sure what that "bounce" is. From my experience, The bounce people are seeing is something that was always there, but with HID projectors (especially pop up units) is now noticeable because of the sharp cutoff pattern. This is inherent with the pop up design as well as the tight suspension of being a sports car.

I have a set of ACA headlights and the way I would describe it is more of "jiggle" Even at idle, you see the lights vibrating, when on the road, the lights bounce around. I did the fix that Patches posted up to tighten up the bulb housing but the poor design of the housing still leaves some jiggle.

I would definitely be interested in the conversion, the price sounds reasonable and if it offers any improvement to the jiggle problem and fixes the high beam issue (which we know it does already) it's a win in my book.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
hiyosilver01
Advanced

Your high beams (both in forward and flash2pass mode) would have both the halogen and bi-xenon for high beams. The halogen high beam at this point serving as more of a signal light than for actual output.

The alignment issue of the high to low will be compensated for and corrected.
When the high beams are switched on, all 4 bulbs (2 bi-xenon bulbs & 2 Halogen bulbs) are lit. Is this correct?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

3) The Kit i offer will come with a 55w HID kit. This is the same type of kit used on the mow legendary Light cannon and stealth light cannon headlights. With nearly 3 times the luminosity of the factory halogen bulbs, and with a projector housing specifically designed for this bulb, the result is the ability to see further in the dark resulting increased safety and reduced fatigue.
Originally Posted by hiyosilver01
Ballasts and bi-xenon bulbs are not included with the conversion service, is this correct?
Not correct, The kit WILL come with HID Ballasts and bulbs.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
hiyosilver01
Advanced

Not correct, The kit WILL come with HID Ballasts and bulbs.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought ballasts and bulbs are included with the new kits only, since most people already have the ballasts with the old ACA lights. But in this case you are offering new ballasts and bulbs for both services.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by hiyosilver01
When the high beams are switched on, all 4 bulbs (2 bi-xenon bulbs & 2 Halogen bulbs) are lit. Is this correct?
Correct. This is a function of the Hi-4 harness that installs in the Under hood fuse box area. (no drilling, splicing or cutting required)
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Parts have been ordered for the First test kit. stay tuned.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

If you already have the ACA HID system, then you are basically offering an upgrade of the halogen high beam to HID, correct?
Old 02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I would be very interested. I have ACAs that I purchased many years ago from an outfit called Vette HID.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
If you already have the ACA HID system, then you are basically offering an upgrade of the halogen high beam to HID, correct?
not technically, The ACA high beam will remain a halogen light source. The difference is the projector will offer a high beam pattern as well as the low. The benefit over the existing high beam is a Bi-x high beam pattern is wider, instant and requires virtually no additional power to create. It also does not affect the driver's foreground vision as light is ONLY added above the cutoff pattern.

Compare this to a dedicated high beam which offers a narrow beam that requires a second bulb and 100+ watts of additional power. Most High beam patterns turn off the low beams or augment the illumination of the low beams causing the driver to have to re-focus while driving. This can be especially dangerous if the high beams are halogen and the low beams are HID where color and light intensity play a considerable factor. Bi-xenon is defiantly the safer choice.

This is the Low beam pattern you'll see from a single projector:

This is the high beam pattern:
Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

If you need some for a prototype I would be willing to pull mine out and send them to you.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
If you need some for a prototype I would be willing to pull mine out and send them to you.
I appreciate the offer, but that will not be necessary. "Evan70" has volunteered his lights to be the modification. His have yet to be installed so it's already boxed up.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM
algZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

count me in.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:27 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

not technically, The ACA high beam will remain a halogen light source. The difference is the projector will offer a high beam pattern as well as the low. The benefit over the existing high beam is a Bi-x high beam pattern is wider, instant and requires virtually no additional power to create. It also does not affect the driver's foreground vision as light is ONLY added above the cutoff pattern.

Compare this to a dedicated high beam which offers a narrow beam that requires a second bulb and 100+ watts of additional power. Most High beam patterns turn off the low beams or augment the illumination of the low beams causing the driver to have to re-focus while driving. This can be especially dangerous if the high beams are halogen and the low beams are HID where color and light intensity play a considerable factor. Bi-xenon is defiantly the safer choice.
What is the bulb life for these Bi-x bulbs? Same as for any other HID bulb? More? Less?

Also, the ACA units I bought from JWMotoring during 2011 already have circuitry that leaves the low beam "on" when I turn on the high beam. Does that circuitry throw a monkey wrench into your upgrade?

The Lizzard
Old 02-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have found that the "jiggle" or "bounce" being referred to is mostly a function of the stock headlight linkage and pivot slop that really doesn't affect the forgiving dispersion pattern of the halogens. It is, however, painfully accentuated by the sharp HID cutoff pattern. I have done some supplemental tightening of the pivot pins and the linkages alothough, one needs to be judicious in how much you tighten the assemblies as they will quickly lock up and jam the headlight rotation with a bit too much resistance.

The Sun Guns I got from JWM have a stabilizing feature in their design that serves to eliminate the slop in the assembly and is adjustable to different amounts of slack in the linkage and pivot to a certain extent.

These headlight assemblies were obviously not designed with HID's in mind so, some creativity - and tolerance for the limitations of the setup - are required to make them work satifactorily.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LedfootLarry
I was going too order a set off another vendor, i'm very interested, how long to production if you proceed?
Me too.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

Old 02-26-2012, 09:16 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
What is the bulb life for these Bi-x bulbs? Same as for any other HID bulb? More? Less?

The Bulb being used is normal HID bulb. the Bi-xenon part is part of the projector. The cutoff shield that produces the low beam pattern is moved out of the way and the light pattern changes. The bulb remains stationary inside the projector:

See this video for an in depth explanation of the projector being used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFF2XoZJIBo

Also, the ACA units I bought from JWMotoring during 2011 already have circuitry that leaves the low beam "on" when I turn on the high beam. Does that circuitry throw a monkey wrench into your upgrade?

The Lizzard
No problem Just less wiring required.

Originally Posted by DonsLS1
Me too.
looking to run the first group buy in late march/early April pending reviews from the Guinea pig
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Just finished the first Retrofit on Evan70's lights. Here are the results:

The most noticeable difference was the increase in width of the modified lights. The modified lights had a beam spread of 76 degrees (the full width of a 16' garage door at 10 feet) compared to the original projector's 60 degree width.

ACA projector with 5000K 55w H9 HID bulb:

Modified projector with 5000K 55w HID bulb

The 16 degrees of additional width may not seem like much, but at a distance of 50 feet, the modified projector will illuminate an additional 10+ feet on either side!

You'll also notice that the modified projector focuses the most amount of light at the top of the cutoff while the factory projector has a distinctive hot spot in the center. This results in "tunnel vision" for the ACA projector while the Modified version illuminates in a more uniform pattern making the entire road light up.

Now on to the high beam alignment issue. This seems to be the most common complaint among ACA users. A the housing is a single unit, there's no real way to adjust the high and low beams interdependently. The test shows that the ACA high beam is aimed far to low to be of any use.

ACA low beam:

ACA high beam:

ACA Low and High beam

The High beam should be aimed dead center on the step of the cutoff or slightly higher. The current ACA kit has the high beam aimed below the cutoff which means on the road it will be useless.

The Modified projector solves this problem in 2 ways. First, the projector is tilted down slightly to compensate for the high beam's position:

Modified ACA low beam:

Modified ACA high beam halogen over low beam

The second solution is the bi-xenon mechanism which moves the cutoff shield on the projector down to allow for a full-spread of the light. As you can see most of the light in the high beam pattern comes from the projector. In this kit the halogen bulb will serve mostly as a signaling device to other drivers. Unlike other HID high beam setups, the Bi-xenon mechanism has zero warmup time, draws virtually no additional current and can be flashed repeatedly with no damage to the HID bulb.

Modified ACA High beam with Bi-xenon high beam

The last significant difference is the quality of the beam pattern. The ACA projector is a very simple design with a flat cutoff shield designed to be easy to mass produce. As a result the optics were only focused correctly at a small part of the beam pattern resulting in a skewed cutoff pattern:

ACA cutoff pattern:

The Modified projector has a curved cutoff shield that correctly focuses light across the entire width of the pattern and contributes to the useable width of the beam.

Modified ACA cutoff Pattern

It's also noteworthy that the modified headlights look exactly like they came from the factory in appearance:

Can you tell which one has been modified?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

The one on the left has been.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion