Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:50 AM
99 VET
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Oldtimer
St. Jude Donor '13

Back in '99 I took my '96 Collector's Editon for a oil/filter change & saw the soon to be my TR FRC on the showroom floor w/HUD! Luv at first sight! The salesperson set the hook w/test drive & I drove it home that morning...Still makes my "heart go boom"...
Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Default You'll laff your @ss off at me...

It's kind of a funny (stupid) story--but first some quick background... I'd painted at a Chevy dealership for 15 years in California, dating from 1978-1993. I know NOW that these were horrific years for the Corvette name; EPA gelding had stripped the power plant of all its' potential and California smog and fuel laws only made them worse--I got to drive all the 'Vettes with transport damage during those years. Not impressed a little bit with any of them, I remember. I'd had a '90 T-Bird that had been worked over pretty good that would have run any of those years' Vettes into the ground. Model? I dunno what models I drove; I painted them. I wasn't a "fan" because they didn't ever impress me. I figured I could do better with the same amount of money with mods and a NASCAR body line. So with that background in mind, here's why I bought my specific Vette...

For my wife's retirement, I went to look at a Corvette; it's what she likes. (I didn't like the idea at all; all I could think of was the legendary insurance costs and anecdotal poor mileage.) My only personal want was "no 'verts. I want some handling." The ad I was answering declared " '08 C6". I disremember; I think 37k miles for $35G's. I took it out and got on the freeway. It got on fairly well with my foot in it, but with its' A4, shifting gears, the lag time was one 1-thousand, two 1-thousand... off the freeway, through the turns and a nice hairpin, it couldn't rival my slammed T-bird (only lowered 1-1/2"), and I was really surprised by that. I thought, "yup. Nothin's changed; overpriced and underperformed." Discouraged, I gave up, drove the car and the accompanying salesperson back to the barn and was ready to leave. As I walked out through the lot, I passed a sparkling 03 C5. Cosmetically it appealed to me much more--it had obviously been better cared for than the '08.

"Can I take that for a drive?"
"I thought you were looking for an '08?"
"Nah, I'm just looking for a Vette; any Vette--to put my wife in for her retirement. I don't care what year. It just has to have pop up lights. She likes that."

On the road my thoughts were... "Now, THIS is the car I've always been lookin' for." Getting to the end of the on ramp, I looked down at the HUD when I realized how fast I seemed to "get up to speed" quicker than I remember my WS6 Firebird could do it. The HUD said we were just easing off 120 as I shifted into 5th. "DAAyum. We've got two gears left--now THIS car is worthy of the Corvette name." Through the hairpin turn back to the lot, this car turned like was on rails. I bought the car and drove it home the same day.

So I hit this forum in the following days, looking for tips and advice on TSB's, owner tweaks to make things run just a little more conveniently, etc.... and after a day's reading, what do I learn?--that "Z06" on the fender meant "something". That there are basically two different styles of Corvette--the coupes and base models (the C6 I drove) and the Chevrolet flagship Z06. Hell, until I read the article, I didn't know that a coupe wasn't a variation of the 'hardtop' Z model... and that what I'd bought was Chevy's best design. (duuuhh... yea, boss!?) I was just lookin' to thank my wife for all her years of work... I didn't give a damn about Corvettes and models. Had a need and filled it (with an almost willful ignorance) but came out smelling like a rose.

Funny how that turned out--she doesn't like to drive it. She'd rather ride in it. Who knew? Can't say I'm unhappy with that.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Surfer G
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by avigar
For me, it was mostly the *** end, the last year of the pop-up headlights ('04), and the overall contour of the C5. Yes, there was just something about that big *** end that always caught my eye. That's why I sold my '91 C4 last year and bought my '04 coupe. The fact that it was also Torch Red, with very low mileage, was another big plus for me.
I test drove a C6 and liked it, My brother said drive a C5 and you'll love it, He was right.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:57 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

photo by Mark Bales
Had sold the C6 and bought another `73 to restore . . .did well in a couple of shows and sold the car . . . the C5 really fell into my lap and I had a pocket full of Franklins so was able to buy it for less than I sold the `73 coupe for.

Figured I wasn't a fan of blue and I'd clean it up and flip it . . .that was a about 18 months ago - - really enjoying this one but may get back into a C6 if we move to a smaller house and I lose the 4 car garage . . .

Last edited by CQRT; 02-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I originally wanted a C4, but after driving one, I didn't care for it - mostly the cramped foot room.

As for C5, I wanted Arctic White, no BSM, Auto so wife could drive.

Finally found "the one" on carmax.com in Atlanta. Had it shipped to NC and bought my '04 in Nov. '07 with less than 7000 miles. Now it has 60k+ miles.

Last edited by s'noJob; 02-15-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: had to add a pic!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,554 Likes on 14,110 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I had two C5s before I got this one but the deal I got was excellent and just couldn't pass up a low mileage, mint condition car. Besides, I love the styling, performance, fuel economy and technology that the car offers.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was keeping my eyes open for a yellow vert because my #1 choice ('98 PC) was waaaay overpriced ($35k+) and in Texas or Florida (read - shipping charges). Looked on CL in December 2 years ago and saw a '98 PC locally for half the price complete with 2 sets of wheels (originals and '00+ 5 spoke) and a complete decal set.

Sitting on the lot.

Now

Peter
Old 02-15-2014, 01:18 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Always Wanted One

Since I was kid, I wanted a vette. My older cousins had vettes when I was teenager.

Then I almost bought a c3, 10 years ago but it just wasn't a Wow. Then I almost bought a c4 five years ago and it didn't have some features I wanted and again it wasn't a Wow.

But I always kept looking. Then this past summer, a rare artic white 97, first year c5, two owner, completely stock, low mileage, immaculate coupe caught my eye, enough said!! The mods will start after winter is over.

I'm already looking for an early c3 (with some horses). Have two sons, need to leave each a vette. The bug hit really bad.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM
CNC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The look of a C5 just does it for me.

I had been looking for a while, never really considered anything but a C5. Looked at a few, meh....almost gave up. Then one day I saw a low mileage 2000 for sale about 45 mins from me, went for a look, took a test drive, negotiated and now it's been in my garage for 3 years. If you shop around, you can get a hell of a lot of car for a reasonable price. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by We Gone
Price, Never bought a new car before and it was the last C5 on the lot at the dealership. They wanted it gone as the C6's were arriving the next day. 160k miles later absolutely the best DD I have ever had.
Pretty much the same story here. I actually had the salesman park my 2004 C5 vert next to a new C6 coupe for a comparison. First, I wanted a vert and second, I thought (and still do) that the C5 is the better looking Corvette.

...that and a great below invoice price with 0% financing closed the deal!

10 years later and I'm still happy with my decision!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Suthunman
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Always liked the C5 since the first one I ever saw. When looking to buy my dream car (Yellow ragtop C3) I found for the same money I could buy a like new C5. I drove a couple of C3s and they just didn't compare to the C5 for what I really wanted the car for......I wanted one to drive.

What made me decide on the one I bought was 2003, later years C5 had improvements over the earlier years. It was yellow with a black ragtop, six speed, had all the options and it was like new with 10k miles on it. I've had it about 2 1/2 years now and glad I passed up the dream car for this one. I couldn't be happier with it!

Last edited by Suthunman; 02-15-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM
pmurray
Racer

I wanted the last year C5, Torch Red, HUD, Coupe, manual and dual air package....Got it with a two year search.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Surfer G
I test drove a C6 and liked it, My brother said drive a C5 and you'll love it, He was right.
Smart Brother. Similar experience for me!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sold my '65 in 1990. After being "'Vette Less" for 17 years, I thought it was about time to look for another one.

I bought the newest, lowest mileage C5 I could find for $20K. In '07, that was a '97 Arctic White coupe.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM
kawtipin
Advanced

rode in one at VIR for several laps. some had a ls engine before loved the power plant. wanted a rwd track/street car that was capable of both. fell in love.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:37 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My main reason was price and performance. Here's the story behind it.
I have had a 1988 35th anniv. coupe since 1993 and use it as a show, pleasure car. In 2009 a buddy of mine whom run HPDEs with the local Porsche club called me early on a Saturday morning and told me one of their instructors had just shown up with a brand new ZR1 he was putting on the track. I went over and started talking with the guy and was eventually offered to go for a ride on the track.
At about 170 mph in the passenger seat before slamming the brakes for turn 1, I decided that I did not want to do car shows anymore and needed to find a car more appropriate for the track. I knew I couldn't afford a C6 z06 without selling my 88, so I started searching for a C5. After searching about 6 months I was able to find a very reasonably priced 2001 Z06 and the rest is fun history.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a black rose C4. Getting closer to retirement and felt a newer model with less miles would be cheaper in the long run. Left knee pain from getting out of the C4 was wearing thin. Saw my current car, all polished up on a dealer lot and decided - I'm buying that car!

Get notified of new replies

To What made you choose your current C5?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted a auto roadster and wanted a C-5 did not like the looks of the C-6. Found a C-5 6-M coupe but it had only 14 K miles so I bought it. That was two years ago and felt like I got a new Corvette for less than half price.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I had owned 2 C3 Vettes year ago. Now, an empty nester, I wanted to get back into a muscle car. C4's were considered, but to get in and out of one was a pain. Most of the examples I saw needed work. C6's were considered, but the price was more than I wanted to spend. The C5 was the perfect inbetween version. Priced well, but had the newer Vette image, more power than a C4, handled better and newer design.
Based on info I picked up on these forums, I wanted a newer example. While looking for a silver car, I came across this 04. The dealer had just dropped the price $4K. Glad I bought it.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWOBUELLS
A picture is worth a thousand words...

its the look

Quick Reply: What made you choose your current C5?