Sponsored by:

Help me rationalize through my C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by glfrmrk
buy the g37 from the company/dealer and park it wherever you parked it before.
I got a range rover for a new company car...LOL..
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I'd sell the Corvette.
Gallardo sounds great.
Even better would be the v-12 of the Murcielago. Perfection.

Maybe sell both cars and get a Murcielago Roadster?
The top is a pita to put on the Murci... and i do love my F430.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by runner140*
Sorry, I rather have kids...and I do.
Congrats.. my wife it not able to reproduce...

Last edited by ICULUKN-C5; 05-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Spoke to my body shop... They are going to work up a price for me.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It is fairly easy to convert a C5 coupe to rag top. The windshield already fits the latches on the drop top. The halo gets cut off and the partition gets bolted or welded in then the trunk fits.

The trouble is that the vert uses different fenders and the existing ones are really nice. Your body shop may be able to adapt them, I am not sure.

If you have to sell your fenders feel free to PM me with an offer.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
Spoke to my body shop... They are going to work up a price for me.
Awesome. I'd be curious what they quote you.
In the meantime, if you decide to swap out your seats let me know and I'll take those modded corbeaus off your hands.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd sell the C5, get a C7Z convertible and hop it up just a little to make up for the difference in HP. Prices on them brand new are up to 11% off sticker!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured we should get the front page opinions as well...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...g-convertible/
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i'll have to think about this as i don't like any of the three ideas . if you're tired of the vette sell it but i'm not sure what i'd buy but would never put $1oo,ooo in a daily driver . . . peace
Old 06-01-2017, 03:10 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by bigcypress
i'll have to think about this as i don't like any of the three ideas . if you're tired of the vette sell it but i'm not sure what i'd buy but would never put $1oo,ooo in a daily driver . . . peace
He has a company car, these are just toys.

If the OP wants to convert to a rag top, he better make sure the shop has done one before and he gets a review from the other ones who have had the conversion done. The conversion could cause serious problems. I like the idea of buying the vert and swapping drive trains, but then again to be done by an experienced Vette shop.

Italian cars are all high maintenance and unreliable.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I would convert the C5. I too don't think you will be happy with the Gallardo, IMO the C7 Z06 is much more of a car.

And while you're at it, shoot me an application for your company lol.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:15 PM
twokbolt
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Just another option nobody has mentioned, the 427 convertible. Granted it's a C6, but, seems like you'd get the widebody convert and decent power without hacking something else up.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

what are those seats in the c5? looks good. i want a set.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:16 PM
redcycle13
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

427 convertible. Your welcome.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
He has a company car, these are just toys.

If the OP wants to convert to a rag top, he better make sure the shop has done one before and he gets a review from the other ones who have had the conversion done. The conversion could cause serious problems. I like the idea of buying the vert and swapping drive trains, but then again to be done by an experienced Vette shop.

Italian cars are all high maintenance and unreliable.
They are the same frame, what do you mean by serious problems? Any competent collision shop should be able to do it with donor parts.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd skip the coupe to vert conversion.

I'd like to suggest a convertible dodge viper. I drove one with the top down through kierland, Scottsdale Quarter, and a few other places a few weekends ago. I have never seen any car turn so many heads, ever.

To top it off, we have one of the very best dodge viper mechanics in the country here in Scottsdale. http://www.maehammotorsports.com/

My preferred Chevy shop also works on them - Cordes Performance. They build lots of Chevy and Ford cars that run well at NoFlyZone

If you're looking for something truly unique and special and don't mind headache, an 08 viper Vert will bring you 600 HP, V10, convertible.

Last edited by Cauhauna; 06-02-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I think I'd get the conversion if the top didn't come off. There just isn't that much difference between a targa and a convertible in the Corvette world. In the C4 there is, because taking the top off on them is a PITA, but a C5? It's just as fast to pop the lid as it is to drop the folding roof. I will agree the experience is slightly better with the top down but not enough to justify the down sides of a convertible.

I have to wonder if you have forgotten how bad convertibles can be with the top up considering the car you came from. I have a BMW M3 convertible and a 98 Pace Car... totally different world when the top is a powered hardtop Vs. a manual soft top. I HATE driving the Pace Car with the top up and avoid it. The Bimmer is a great ride up or down.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me rationalize through my C5

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM
C5-SIN
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Semper Fi!

You have an awesome collection of cars! I'd like to take your C5 for a drive...then again, it might spoil me from driving mine LOL

Since your heart is set on having a convertible, go with option 2. That way you'll get to put your top down and you already know that car inside and out. Win Win

Whatever you decide, hope you honestly love the end result!
Old 06-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I think I'd get the conversion if the top didn't come off. There just isn't that much difference between a targa and a convertible in the Corvette world. In the C4 there is, because taking the top off on them is a PITA, but a C5? It's just as fast to pop the lid as it is to drop the folding roof. I will agree the experience is slightly better with the top down but not enough to justify the down sides of a convertible.

I have to wonder if you have forgotten how bad convertibles can be with the top up considering the car you came from. I have a BMW M3 convertible and a 98 Pace Car... totally different world when the top is a powered hardtop Vs. a manual soft top. I HATE driving the Pace Car with the top up and avoid it. The Bimmer is a great ride up or down.
whats so bad about the pace car with the top up? I drive my 08 c6 with the top up sometimes, it's just fine.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM
CloudLS9
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193

I've had four convertibles, (An S2000, two Boxster S's and a 911 C2S Cab). I've also owned a Targa C6 Vette and a 300zx twin turbo with t-tops. While I agree a targa or t-tops is more fun than a fixed roof coupe, a true convertible is still much more enjoyable. The air buffeting you get in the back with a targa or t-tops was just tolerable around town but unbearable on the free-way. With a true convertible, you can fish bowl it on the freeway (top down windows up) and the air flow is still perfectly calm enough to have a conversation with your passenger without yelling. Also, it's nice being able to put top up or down with one button while you pull in or out of a parking lot. Don't even get me started on the time my Vette targa top blew off.

As for convertible noise with the top up, my Porsche convertibles were all VERY quite with the top up. The road & tire noise is way worse on my ZR1. I wouldn't sell that C5 though, it looks very well built. If I were in his shoes I'd ditch the Ferrari for a convertible Z06 or any of the convertible Porsches (911 Cabriolet, Boxster GTS or Spyder). The Porsche or Corvette would both have much cheaper maintenance than the Ferrari and you could likely get more use and enjoyment.

Last edited by CloudLS9; 06-02-2017 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Help me rationalize through my C5