C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help pricing my C5

Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree that NOS kits, performance headers and loud exhaust usually indicate that a car has been beaten on. That's not always the case...but more often than not.

Return it as close to stock as possible to maximize your selling price. Then sell the performance parts separately. It's more work but it could mean a few thousand extra dollars for you.

That's not just vettes either. One guy thought that a Cobb tune would help his sale of his BMW 335i. While it probably did add about 60hp, what it meant to me was that he had probably done a bunch of street racing/0-60 sprints that had put tremendous stress on the turbos and various other internal components.

Last edited by Randy_in_MD; 09-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I guess you should check eBay (completed listings, not asking prices) and the C5 for sale section. See what modded cars are going for. I think you'll be in shock. If you even get close to $40,000 for her, I'll faint. If you get $30,000 for her, I'll take a knee.
I'm not trying to be a dick, just rational. It's a 19 year old car. Just because it's worth allot to you doesn't mean that's what you'll get for it.
Just for the heck of it, I went to eBay, checked 1997-99 sold prices. Out of 141 listings, nothing has sold over $25K including a mint 1998 Corvette Convertible Supercharged SC 6 Speed with only 33K miles. Times are tough for modified cars.
I think your best bet is to take the aftermarket parts off and sell separately. But again, you might be expecting too much as you think you can get $4,000 for a used SC system. A new SC system can be had from A&A for $5,500.
I don't think my car is worth anywhere near $30k. Agreed, its worth more in parts than as a whole. Might go that route.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:15 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy_in_MD
I agree that NOS kits, performance headers and loud exhaust usually indicate that a car has been beaten on. That's not always the case...but more often than not.

Return it as close to stock as possible to maximize your selling price. Then sell the performance parts separately. It's more work but it could mean a few thousand extra dollars for you.

That's not just vettes either. One guy thought that a Cobb tune would help his sale of his BMW 335i. While it probably did add about 60hp, what it meant to me was that he had probably done a bunch of street racing/0-60 sprints that had put tremendous stress on the turbos and various other internal components.
Are you suggesting he not tell the potential buyers about it's previous life with the supercharger and NOS?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by JR-01
Are you suggesting he not tell the potential buyers about it's previous life with the supercharger and NOS?
Car has never had NOS used on it (as stated above) and its only running 5psi with a conservative tune.

Please don't assume I'm dishonest. Also, I hope you assumed that when you bought your used 'vette it had been bounced off the rev limiter on a daily basis. Because there is only one reason people buy sports cars.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

I'm suggesting he remove the "performance upgrades". Especially if he wants to expand his potential customer base and maximize profits. I don't pretend to know what he would volunteer or even how he would answer direct questions. What I do know is that this is the real world not Mayberry RFD. You need to be an informed consumer. There are many ways to tell if a car has been abused or not besides the presence or absence of performance mods.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:47 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Why do you all own corvettes if you are afraid to buy one that was used as designed?

"It's beat!" No, your constantly neglected carbon filled golf club cruiser is the one with the issues.

If the car has records/receipts the modifications are less of a turnoff. Much of modified cars is the problem of what kind of doofus gets their hands on them. Shoddy workmanship and cut corners are the scariest parts. I generally expect to have to go back through people's cars to get it up to snuff. Even some shops do crap work.

As for a price, the physical year will hurt you a little, just given the push for later model c5s, but it's really just all about who your buyer is. I've sold many high horsepower, power adder cars and they ALL find homes. You'll have the demographic who are terrified of anything more than stock, and then you'll have the enthusiast. If you can back up the mods on paper and the car looks and works properly it'll be much easier to move.

I'd think a well modified blown C5 that's CLEAN would still fetch @ 20k. The 98 part is what will keep it out of the mid 20 type numbers. Those cars generally take longer to sell or are specialty models like a Z06.

Personally I think you should post a BUNCH of detailed pictures if you really expect a better return here for pricing. On paper things sound great, but many I've seen look good in theory and are straight hammered ******* in person.

Condition is everything.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 PM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

De-mod the car and sell your car as close to stock as possible. You will make the most back that way. You will never recoup money you spent on parts let alone time you spent installing it. Most people would be more gun shy on buying a car that was built by the owner vs a professional shop.

If you don't want to de-mod take a look in the vehicles for sale section for similarly built cars and set your price accordingly.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 PM
CPO Rob
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

Like knewblewkorvette said, the price seems right and all the mods are great, but now you need to find that one person that wants what you have.
Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:24 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I'm suggesting he remove the "performance upgrades". Especially if he wants to expand his potential customer base and maximize profits. I don't pretend to know what he would volunteer or even how he would answer direct questions. What I do know is that this is the real world not Mayberry RFD. You need to be an informed consumer. There are many ways to tell if a car has been abused or not besides the presence or absence of performance mods.
That's what I figured.
So in your real world it is perfectly acceptable to screw over a fellow future Corvette owner. Funny how people complain about scammers but are more than willing to scam someone else.
I hope most Corvette owners are better than that.
De-modding it and not disclosing it's past is dishonest. I am glad I am not part of your real world. To me integrity is more important than the extra money

Last edited by JR-01; 09-10-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Look...I don't know if you just got fired, your old lady is catting around on you or you just found out you have cancer. Whatever your issue is, why don't you leave me alone. Your pseudo-sanctimony and social justice just made me throw up in my mouth a little. I just gave the OP some (extremely good) advice. I don't care what you think of me...and I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. So why don't we agree to disagree and you quit while you're behind. Capisce?!?!

Last edited by Randy_in_MD; 09-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Look...I don't know if you just got fired, your old lady is catting around on you or you just found out you have cancer. Whatever your issue is, why don't you leave me alone. Your pseudo-sanctimony and social justice just made me throw up in my mouth a little. I just gave the OP some (extremely good) advice. I don't care what you think of me...and I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. So why don't we agree to disagree and you quit while you're behind. Capisce?!?!
None of the above. Retired and loving it.
I must have struck a nerve. You gave the OP advice to scam some poor Corvette enthusiast. Good for you. You are a quality person.
What is really funny is that you are pissed at me because I would never screw you over. Go figure.

Last edited by JR-01; 09-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Sure. Whatever you say toughguy. You are boring me now. Go away!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:45 AM
reactor2
Drifting

None of the above. Retired and loving it.
I must have struck a nerve. You gave the OP advice to scam some poor Corvette enthusiast. Good for you. You are a quality person.
What is really funny is that you are pissed at me because I would never screw you over. Go figure.
You are truly quite ignorant. I've spent a lot of time and money on my car. Its quite ignorant to assume that I have spent all of this time and money for the sole purpose of beating the $h1t out of my car. Quite the contrary. Because I have spent so much time and money on my car I guarantee you I baby it more than 90% of corvette owners. At 5psi and an extremely conservative tune the supercharger is basically on the car for show. In the entire time I've owned the car it has never been over 90mph and has only been WOT a handful of times. Also, since the supercharger has been on this car it has never shifted gears at WOT nor has it ever been WOT in first gear (since the tires won't hold the power). Mechanically, there is nothing wrong with the car. Period.
You do know that a supercharger, especially one at 5psi, will only provide boost at WOT right and 5psi is at max RPM (6000)? Also, with the high stall converter there is zero chance of low rpm detonation as the engine will never turn less than 4000 rpm at WOT. Also, unlike a vast majority of supercharged cars at higher boost levels I still use the low-octane timing tables, just in case spark knock is registered.

Scamming some poor corvette enthusiast....please.

Last edited by reactor2; 09-11-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

just leave it the way it is plenty of guy wanting a blown car "done"
the buyer that freaks out over any mod wont want it even if you put it back to stock they want a grown supermodel who hasnt been on their first date yet
Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
...they want a grown supermodel who hasnt been on their first date yet

Most potential buyers just don't want the automotive equivalent of that same grown supermodel after she has been spit roasted.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

What baffles me is why someone would add NOS to a car "for show". Why? Really, why?

This is something I have never heard of. Seem like a lot of money and effort for nothing.

Shakey
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

well the problem is that overall Modifications drag down the value of the car.....i know i been down that road too many times. the key is to try and find a guy that wants to do exactly what you have done to the car and sell it him. the problem is i never found that guy. the only cars i have ever lost money on is the ones i modded. i hope you get more then the 10% factor. pick your starting price and then reduce it $500 every week until it sells. good luck bob

Get notified of new replies

To Help pricing my C5

Old 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by no vtec 4me
Im just here for pictures of the widened y2k wheels

All that aside, I'd remove the easily removable (blower/nitrous/brakes) cash them out and sell the car for $18k+.

When you add the 4-7 grand for the parts you sold you come out way ahead. Also I'm sure someone on this forum would love to purchase thine wheels and trade theirs as part of the deal. I might do that to my 01z (c6z brakes) hence my curiosity on the way yours turned out.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

15-17k is what I would imagine.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
15-17k is what I would imagine.
With the low mileage and expensive mods your figure is way low. Not even close.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help pricing my C5