Help pricing my C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ~Josh
With the low mileage and expensive mods your figure is way low. Not even close.
While you aren't wrong, it's going to potentially be much more difficult to sell at the higher price. 97-00 model years aren't very desirable and will really hurt the value. Bone stock and I think $15k will be around the max. Obviously it only takes one person and they could show up at any time. But I think getting $20k or above will be very difficult.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

OP....I think you're overvaluing the total value of your mods. Quite honestly, the SC, Heads, Cam, wheels, and brakes are the only mods that will add value. The fact that you did all of that work yourself and didn't have it dyno tuned would have me concerned. Especially since you said you've never used the spray, have the SC on such low boost, and never really pushed the car. When I hear that it sounds like you are afraid of what might happen. That might not be true, but I'm just telling you what I would think as a buyer. I'm not going to buy a SC, heads/cam car with NOS that can't be driven hard. The first thing I would do is take $1k off whatever I felt the car was worth because I would feel like I had to take it to a shop to have it looked over and properly dyno tuned. If you built it and you're afraid of pushing it, I certainly wouldn't want to!

To answer your question, I would say $17k. I have an 04 convertible with less mileage, but only basic bolt-ons. I would expect about $20k if I tried to sell. So lowering that to adjust for year convertible to coupe, and mileage, but add on some for the mods and I think $17k would be fair.

It's unfortunate but the market just isn't strong for cars like your's. While I don't think you'll get as much for the used parts as you think, I still think you'll make out better if you stripped the car. Heck, you'd probably make out just by selling the wheels! Good luck. I hope you find the right person.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

If You think the nos and blower will bring in more money then your dreaming . Most guys I know would avoid a vette if it had headers or a tune much less nitrous and a supercharger ! Most vette buyers/ owners are purists types over 40 years old. That tells the buyer that it's a drag car that has endured a weekly flogging at the strip .. Add in the fact it's aon old 98 and figure on being an undesirable automatic( 6 speeds are way more desirable) then figure on the 66k mileage not being very low for a corvette when most are under 30k , that is also going to hurt you .white exterior color w/ red interior is not very desirable either . I would say your looking at 15 grand if it needs nothing to pass inspection. You can put it up for anything you want but that doesn't mean it will ever sell. I would be shocked if you got close to twenty grand out of it

Last edited by Lexybird; 09-11-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:43 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Maybe I'm biased. My avatar shows the engine in my 01z

The supercharger pictured (highly polished) was sold to the OP.

He's detail oriented I know, even if he only got $17k for the base car with most mods not easily removable, I'd still stick to plan of selling the disposable parts seperate to effect maximum resale.

That's what I did , six years ago, but my story should say I bought back the car I sold 6 years ago with just 500 more miles than I sold it with, and wants the supercharger back.

In the end, the OP will get his final number although I can see that it obviously deserves more than he put into it/then used.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
That sounds about right.
As for your mods, add up all the mod costs, then divided by 10, and then add that to the price of the stock car. Sorry, but that's about what they are worth.
you know you are spot on. I love how people ask the questions or for advice then its given and they get all pissy.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:57 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
you know you are spot on. I love how people ask the questions or for advice then its given and they get all pissy.
So $10,000 in mods is worth $1,000?

GTFO of here.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

GTFO of here.
How much do you think $10k in mods are worth? You want the SC. He said he could sell it within 30 minutes for $4k. Are you going to pay that or would you opt for a new one for $6k or $7k?

Last edited by tdogg21; 09-11-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Lexybird
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

GTFO of here.

yep a lot of times that's the case . Every time you do a mod you shrink your potential resale market down . Vette owners don't like modifications they want an unmolested cream puff .. Adding a cam pistons and intake could cost you many many thousands but it would likely not add a dime to the sale value in the end . In fact internal engine work can make it worth less than the book value because of unknown reliability and questionable history. It's nothing to have a grand in tires and you won't get one penny extra for having new shoes on that car it's expected to have new tread! Stereo upgrades is another loser on resale for the fear of electronic issues

Last edited by Lexybird; 09-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

The average For Sale price of 98 Corvette's on Autotrader right now is about $15,000. That includes low mileage, convertibles, and pace cars, all of which will bring more than a regular coupe. So why would someone pay a premium for a car the owner and builder is afraid to drive hard? If he leaves everything, $17k is fair. I wouldn't be shocked if he found someone who would pay $20k, but I also wouldn't be shocked if a year from now it's still sitting for sale.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Mikegerm_C5
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
OFFICIAL SALE

$40,000 worth of high performance parts/labor on sale for only $22,000!! If you act today, I will throw in a great condition low mileage 1998 Corvette for FREE! This is a value of $55,000 for only $22,000! Act now. Supplies very limited!
Funny, but logical.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:37 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by tdogg21
How much do you think $10k in mods are worth? You want the SC. He said he could sell it within 30 minutes for $4k. Are you going to pay that or would you opt for a new one for $6k or $7k?
Given rule of thumb long before I was born is 40-50% on the dollar depending on the car.

Do the math on what $10,000 in mods entails, and then think $1,000 is worth asking without expecting a punch (or three) for even asking/insulting.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

In your asking, I'd sold it for a little above what he is asking, although he's had to add tid-bits to make it complete as it is now.

To me and anyone mechanically minded, based on the miles and commentary it's been taxed little, that's obvious. I know that blower was Factory Rebuilt just before selling to him so in the end, yes he could easily sell it for $4k+ once described to the audience as I did prior to sale. New blowers don't come with boost/fuel gauges etc so the final $ is a variable.

Try again.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

In your asking, I'd sold it for a little above what he is asking.

To me, based on the miles and commentary it's been taxed little. That blower was Factory Rebuilt just before selling to him so in the end, yes he could easily sell it for $4k once described to the audience as I did prior to sale.

You fail..
Ok....So you are saying parts are worth 40% - 50% off the car (I completely agree with that). And you also stated in post 38 that he would get more if he took the parts off the car. (you also said he would get $4k-$7k for the blower, nitrous, and brakes and other easily removable items while now claiming $4k for the blower)

So from your posts we can now deduce that you think used parts should sell for half what they cost new and are worth significantly less if installed. I say significantly because no one in their right mind is going to go to the trouble of removing a blower, nitrous, brakes, maybe swap wheels, and then re-tune it. Only to then have to take the time to list, sell, and ship the parts for a few hundred dollars.

Now the fun part. Since you didn't answer. What do you think $10,000 in mods would be worth? 25%?? That would sound reasonable. If I was buying a modded car I would look to start around 10% of the cost of the big mods. I'm not giving **** because of an LS6 oil pump or LS2 timing chain. Great he did it because it shows completeness in the build, but certainly doesn't add anything to the selling price. And not too far from the 10% you want to fight over.

As I thought you would do, you unknowingly helped my argument while thinking you were proving me wrong. For some reason that doesn't feel like a fail. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Last edited by tdogg21; 09-11-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Trolls bashing the price of C5s until its their ragged PoS (whored all over the forum how they drive it wherever and never let it be garaged queened, and blah blah) then they want to sell like it's worth the (better) cars they railed against.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Ok....So you are saying parts are worth 40% - 50% off the car (I completely agree with that). And you also stated in post 38 that he would get more if he took the parts off the car. (you also said he would get $4k-$7k for the blower, nitrous, and brakes and other easily removable items while now claiming $4k for the blower)

So from your posts we can now deduce that you think used parts should sell for half what they cost new and are worth significantly less if installed. I say significantly because no one in their right mind is going to go to the trouble of removing a blower, nitrous, brakes, maybe swap wheels, and then re-tune it. Only to then have to take the time to list, sell, and ship the parts for a few hundred dollars.

Now the fun part. Since you didn't answer. What do you think $10,000 in mods would be worth? 25%?? That would sound reasonable. If I was buying a modded car I would look to start around 10% of the cost of the big mods. I'm not giving **** because of an LS6 oil pump or LS2 timing chain. Great he did it because it shows completeness in the build, but certainly doesn't add anything to the selling price. And not too far from the 10% you want to fight over.

As I thought you would do, you unknowingly helped my argument while thinking you were proving me wrong. For some reason that doesn't feel like a fail. But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.
You have a lot of words for so little point.

Stupid. Sleep on that.

I said mods are worth 40-50% depending on the car by rule of thumb. Your jibberish changes nothing.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Trolls bashing the price of C5s until its their ragged PoS (whored all over the forum how they drive it wherever and never let it be garaged queened, and blah blah) then they want to sell like it's worth the (better) cars they railed against.
Whatever buddy.

It's not even your f'ing car and you're acting like you have sand in your lady parts. Obviously reading isn't something you enjoy so I'll keep it short.

Enjoy your beers tonight.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Whatever buddy.

It's not even your f'ing car and you're acting like you have sand in your lady parts. Obviously reading isn't something you enjoy so I'll keep it short.

Enjoy your beers tonight.
I have a Clue and can say what I want.

Enjoy playing with your own lady parts tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Help pricing my C5

Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm sure you do have a clue....not sure anyone said you didn't. Obviously you built a badass Z06 once and are planning to do it again. And you're more than welcome to say anything you want. Not sure anyone said you couldn't do that either. All I know is when I have used parts to sell, I'm calling you.

And thank you. I'll tell my wife you gave us permission.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

You're welcome. Tell her I said goodnight.

Insults aside,

No hard feelings. -later
Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 AM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Even with mods you'll be lucky to get $15k. It's not an insult it's reality. I sold my mint 99 loaded C5 with only 40k miles for $16k back in 2013. Dealers were offering me $12k as trade in. Fast forward almost 5 years later and those numbers have to look even bleaker. i only sold it to upgrade to a 13 Grand Sport with a massive discount. Go to www.nada.com and get a value for it. Price it right and the car will sell like mine did.

Quick Reply: Help pricing my C5