Does lowering affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Does lowering affect handling?

Does lowering a Vette impact handling in any measurable way or is it only about the looks?
Old 07-14-2004, 06:37 PM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does lower the center of gravity on the car but I think only the most experienced of drivers would notice the difference that would make.

But, IMO combined with new sway bars and shocks - then it's a whole new ball game. Those are some of the best mods I've done to my car.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

If you don't already have the Z51 suspension option, then I would also upgrade to it. However, I fear that if you go further than that by installing humongous sway bars and stiffer springs, your handling could very well punish you on less than perfect roads.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

If you know how to handle a vette...
...lowering can on enhance handling...

I love the feeling of Z51 suspension sinking into a tight 90 degree bend at 45+...and only inches over the asphalt...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

When I lowered mine, immediately felt better. Like it hugged turns better, which stock height wasn't bad either. I've since added ZO6 swaybars and I like the ride, not stiff, just like on rails.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:41 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Scratch
When I lowered mine, immediately felt better. Like it hugged turns better, which stock height wasn't bad either. I've since added ZO6 swaybars and I like the ride, not stiff, just like on rails.

I do not yet have the Z06 swaybars. I will soon.
Even an inch and a half and I noticed the improved handling
Old 07-15-2004, 12:01 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Lowering was the first mod we did on mine and I believe it does improve the handing!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:56 AM
MTV
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Lowering

Many here believe that lowering can improve handling by dropping the center of gravity. Slamming your car can also harshen the the ride quality unless the car is matched with compatible shocks with shorter pistons. If the stock shocks, especially the magnetic shocks (F55) are held in state of continuous compression, they will fail to dampen the abrupt changes in pavement due to lack of travel capacity.

I haven't heard anyone complain about ride quality when they lowered to limits of the stock adjustment bolts, without cutting the bushings. The ride problems seem to occur with cutting the bushings and/or longer rear bolts.

Just find out as much as you can before you cut anything. Best,

mtv
The following users liked this post:
C5wilts (08-12-2019)
Old 07-15-2004, 02:06 AM
TheDarkKnight
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MTV
Many here believe that lowering can improve handling by dropping the center of gravity. Slamming your car can also harshen the the ride quality unless the car is matched with compatible shocks with shorter pistons. If the stock shocks, especially the magnetic shocks (F55) are held in state of continuous compression, they will fail to dampen the abrupt changes in pavement due to lack of travel capacity.

I haven't heard anyone complain about ride quality when they lowered to limits of the stock adjustment bolts, without cutting the bushings. The ride problems seem to occur with cutting the bushings and/or longer rear bolts.

Just find out as much as you can before you cut anything. Best,

mtv
I've heard that lowering alone will increase your negative camber. This is a likely ause of "it immediately felt better", if it is true. Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 AM
pure energy
Instructor

I have a question.Are you supposed to have the camber adjusted after lowering the car?Previously I went through that process (based on advice of my mechanic),on another car.Haven't lowered my Z yet but I am sure it will improve handling when I do.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:59 AM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pure energy
I have a question.Are you supposed to have the camber adjusted after lowering the car?Previously I went through that process (based on advice of my mechanic),on another car.Haven't lowered my Z yet but I am sure it will improve handling when I do.
I would suggest a 4 wheel alignment after lowering is a good idea because the car's set up has been changed.

My Z51 suspension is lowered right at 1" on stock bolts, combined with Hotchkis sway bars and Bilstein shocks. I do feel larger bumps more, but (to me) most of any harshness in the ride comes from the tires - not the lowering or other changes. To me it is the sidewall stiffness of EMTs that creates the feeling of "harshness" not so much the other suspension parts. Again, obviously speed bumps and potholes are different. Slamming the car or getting stiffer springs would also contribute.

Some of the best comments on this subject can be found in the Autocross and Roadracing section of this Forum. Those guys know their stuff.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowering will increase your negative camber, add toe-in to the front, and add toe-out to your rear.

Everyone says don't do it with F55 susp but as long as you stay within the vehicle specs (which allow different ride heights) you should be fine. Just don't go to the bump stops because full travel may hurt the shocks. The shocks work by changing the viscosity of the fluid based on wheel travel as compared to baseline, and the computer determines the baseline upon engine start. It's my understanding that compression, to the computer, only happens upon change in travel after startup with no such thing as "continuous compression".

I've spoken to a couple of master corvette technicians that have lowered their F55s and they have said that as long as you leave 2 threads showing in the rear you'll be OK. They have had no issues with their lowering so far. FWIW.

Be sure to have the alignment done about two weeks after you lower it to be sure the front bushings have settled into place. If you want to have it corner weighted, do that before the alignment too.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I think, even an inexperienced driver would notice the difference, given the car had Z51,Z06 or Hotchkis sways. If you have clover leafs in your state, this is a place to notice the ability to take them at an accelerated speed.. I am not condoning speed, but rather than carefully navagating the turn... you can spiritly take that sucker at almost any speed you want...

Get notified of new replies

To Does lowering affect handling?

Quick Reply: Does lowering affect handling?