Sponsored by:

My theory on Tunnel plates and seat rails

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 12:42 PM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My theory on Tunnel plates and seat rails

I have just installed a tunnel plate on my 97 coupe I m not gonna list the name because I dont want to plug a vendor. I want to be taken seriously and not like I m trying to sell something. I have really noticed a difference in the twisting of the car. Now my theory is that the twisting the car has from the factory stresses the seat rail when the car flexes. Now that causes wear on parts in the seat rails. When the car is not flexed the seats move back and forth. So if anyone wants to test this and still has good seat rails get a tunnel plate.

Last edited by chriskaw7r; 10-26-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

I really like my Abs-ofSteel Tunnel plate from Elite Engineering as well.

http://redshift.homestead.com/AoS.html

But, why wouldn't you plug a forum vendor if you're happy with the performance of their product? (Unless, of course, they are not a supporting vendor. ) It's always great to hear positive feedback about good products here.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:14 PM
JnJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't read his mind, but I think he believes he'll be taken more seriously if he doesn't come off as an ad for a company. I seen it over and over were someone will swear by something only because they bought it and don't want to admit they wasted their money or didn't get the best product. I spent years in the Jeep "scene" and saw it big time there, and I suspect it here as well.
One member has honestly stated he believe some of the hipe here and bought the hiped tires only to find they really were no better then his previous tires.
It just like the rags that test parts and praise them, and you see the ads for the product in the same rag. Will they really say if something sucks if it means they'll lose advertising money?
Buyer beware!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:18 PM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Originally Posted by Patches
I really like my Abs-ofSteel Tunnel plate from Elite Engineering as well.

http://redshift.homestead.com/AoS.html

But, why wouldn't you plug a forum vendor if you're happy with the performance of their product? (Unless, of course, they are not a supporting vendor. ) It's always great to hear positive feedback about good products here.
Because I believe that there has been some mud slinging back and forth between vendors. All I will say is that the cheaper one works great and that I dont believe any heat coating is that important at the most you will only get 10-15% heat reduction with a heat coating, but a coat of paint would be a good idea to cut down on corrosion issues caused by dissimilar metals and moisture. These are just my opinions so make up your own mind.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Ego-Trip
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by chriskaw7r
.................has good seat rails get a backbone.
No vendor plug needed if you can read between the lines.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k1 Vette
No vendor plug needed if you can read between the lines.
I can and the cheapest is not a backbone.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,550 Likes on 14,108 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good info. Have seen these advertised but wasn't sure just how much help they would be.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:33 PM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Originally Posted by Patches
I can and the cheapest is not a backbone.
yeah your right my bad I dont have the backbone Its the other one that starts with an "E".
Old 10-26-2004, 02:35 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Ebs of steel?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:07 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskaw7r
I have just installed a tunnel plate on my 97 coupe I m not gonna list the name because I dont want to plug a vendor. I want to be taken seriously and not like I m trying to sell something. I have really noticed a difference in the twisting of the car. Now my theory is that the twisting the car has from the factory stresses the seat rail when the car flexes. Now that causes wear on parts in the seat rails. When the car is not flexed the seats move back and forth. So if anyone wants to test this and still has good seat rails get a tunnel plate.

I can test this out. I have a '98 coupe with Z51 suspension package and Zo6 size wheels and tires. For seating I have a Sparco Evo with Hardbar seat rails. The Sparco comes soo close to the doors that I can barely fit my fingers thru. If I get a free corner on the way to work, I'll stick my finger between the gap and see if it gets smashed. Soo....I'll post back later today if there's no significant flex, and maybe a few days later if there LOTS of flex!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:15 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Roads were slick this morning, so I only got to take a couple lame corners, but I did feel some motion between the and door. I bet it would be a lot of motion in harder cornering.

Eugene
Old 10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by leaftye
I can test this out. I have a '98 coupe with Z51 suspension package and Zo6 size wheels and tires. For seating I have a Sparco Evo with Hardbar seat rails. The Sparco comes soo close to the doors that I can barely fit my fingers thru. If I get a free corner on the way to work, I'll stick my finger between the gap and see if it gets smashed. Soo....I'll post back later today if there's no significant flex, and maybe a few days later if there LOTS of flex!
Sacrificing your fingers for the good of the forum! A true enthusiast!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Seat flex may be the seat, not the car.

My plate is en route

Get notified of new replies

To My theory on Tunnel plates and seat rails

Quick Reply: My theory on Tunnel plates and seat rails