Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed, should I replace my battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Doo
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Default Opinions needed, should I replace my battery?

O.K. this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway...

Yesterday I started the vette and it was slow to start. Today I went to take it out of the garage and it didn't start. Checked the voltage yesterday and it was good so I'm pretty sure it's a battery issue. The battery isn't leaking so we're o.k. there.

Question is, it's getting cold out and the car is soon going away in storage. If I keep the battery tender on it the voltage will be fine so all the electronic doo-dads should be o.k.

Should I buy a battery now and let it sit on the tender all winter or just wait til spring. I'm just wondering cause in my mind the sitting all winter will negatively affect the battery.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

How old is your battery? Most last several years, some 4 years. I replaced my several months ago - it was 3 years old and many of the electrical problems went away. (charging faults, HUD switching displays when the key was removed, memory lost for seats, etc.) Replace it now and avoid the problems.

rr
Old 10-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doo600
O.K. this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway...

Yesterday I started the vette and it was slow to start. Today I went to take it out of the garage and it didn't start. Checked the voltage yesterday and it was good so I'm pretty sure it's a battery issue. The battery isn't leaking so we're o.k. there.

Question is, it's getting cold out and the car is soon going away in storage. If I keep the battery tender on it the voltage will be fine so all the electronic doo-dads should be o.k.

Should I buy a battery now and let it sit on the tender all winter or just wait til spring. I'm just wondering cause in my mind the sitting all winter will negatively affect the battery.
If the battery is original get it out of the car. The original Delco batteries are time bombs. Get a new battery ASAP.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Doo
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Not the original leaky crap...it looks like the battery is 3 years old.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Optima is a very good battery if you do replace your 3-yr old one. Most of the Forum members seem happy with the red tops, around $100 or so. If you care to spend a little more you can get the yellow top. It's more of a deep cycle battery for cars that are stored. You might not need a battery tender with a yellow top. Others will chime in.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

If your battery is 3 years old, and you are beginning to have starting problems.. you do not want to get stuck somewhere this winter. Getting a new battery should solve your problem.. Three years is approaching a failure mode.. some people can get four years from their battery.,. but with what ever you are and have been doing, it is not enough to maintain battery intergrity.. and your having start problems..
You may have another issue.. chances are slim, but in any event you will need a new battery soon.. and the chances are good that this will cure your problem.. an Optima red top is a good choice.. mine is three years old with no issues.. car sits for weeks in the winter with no charger on it... optima red top come with a 3 year full return warranty and an 84 month pro rated warranty.. priced around 109 dollars..
Old 10-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,550 Likes on 14,108 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you are having a battery problem, I would not want to leave the battery in the car. Best to take it out or get you a battery like the Optima Red Top.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:26 AM
george's2001c5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery slow starting

Every Time I Read About Battery Replacement On This Forum Everyone Recommends Optima Red Or Yellow Batteries. Before I Replaced My Delco Gel Battery I Was About To Get A Red Optima. I Checked Around At Different Shops And Friends And Was Told They Are Nothing But Trouble. I Got So Confused I Went With A Top Brand Acid Battery That Other Corvette Owners Used In My Area. There Were Several Recommendations But The One Most Recommended Was The Interstate. It Had More Cold Cranking Amp Than The Original And More Powerful. Not That Price Was An Issue For Such An Expensive Car But I Did Not Want Any More Problems With Batteries. You Don't Hear Many Horror Stories When We Speak Of Diehards, Interestate And Some Others. If I Didn't Know Better I Swear Optima Was Making These Replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions needed, should I replace my battery?

Quick Reply: Opinions needed, should I replace my battery?