Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

Tbyrne Rk5 Hood :mad:

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:43 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Roadking
RK obviosly does not recoginize poor quality fitment if they quality check twice and and find nothing wrong. Fitment has nothing to do with being defective, a defect is a crack or bubble in the glass.
If RK refuses to eat the hood then tbyrne should eat the hood at no cost to the customer and drop RK from their supplier list. That is good business in my opinion.
Tbyrne step up to the plate you need a hit here,make it a grand slam.
This thread is about a vendor and how they are handeling a customer's problem with what sounds like nothing more than bolt size or threads that won't hold. To me this is a big deal as far as bolts holding a hood. I would talk to the manufactor about a fix and take the $100 offered and just go on. This thread will leave a black eye on both the manufactor and the vendor on how they have handled the customer's issues. To you guys that say this should not have gone public, I don't think it would have if it had been handled the proper way in the first place. Pointing fingers never solves anything
Old 06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, Tbyrne has added some insight that is valuable. RKS or Tbyrne should be sending the buyer the correct bolts to fit the hood or telling him what size bolts to use at the least so as not to make him go buy several different sizes for trial and error. Had that been done when he first contacted Tbyrne, there would be no thread on this topic. It sounded from the initial post that the holes were not threaded or didn't have nuts mounted properly.

There is no excuse for the foul language, and an appology was extended.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:31 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PaceThis
I can see both sides of the issue...it needs to be addressed publically, at least on the RKSPort quality concerns so that others can steer away if they'd be upset that the hood doesn't fit and will require major work.

I've seen RKSport hoods, and honestly, they require $300-500 worth of prep work. For the extra money, you could have upgraded to a hood that didn't require additional prep (such as an MCM).

On customer service, one shouldn't sell a product that they're not willing to support. While it's true that anger and profanity will limit a company's desire to help a customer - this can be avoided by not carrying products that are KNOWN to have quality control issues. At the very minimum, customers should be warned before placing the order that these issues may exist - and are not necessary small issues to correct.

Best of luck to both parties in obtaining satisfactory results. Though, with the cost of shipping that hood around, it's not going to be easy.
And so does everyone in my garage right now.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:43 PM
louzon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom line is RK hoods SUCK.
But mine on a little over 4 years ago, didn't see any bad press on the Corvette Forum at the time so I took the leap.

Mine didn't fit right either, spend lots of extra money to make it look half way good. Only to have to repaint it a year later because it wasn't cured properly (this is what 3 different body shops told me) and now after another couple years I am once again able to see the matting under the paint.
I have learned my lesson with RK products.
Never again.

I don't care what anyone says when you by a product it sould fit without having to re-engineer it. Otherwise we might as well buy our own fiber glass and make one ourselves.

And if you are the one selling it stand behind it.
There is nothing the pisses me off more than spending my hard earned money with a company to have them tell me I have to go back to the manufacture. What they have no responsibility for the products they sell?
Maybe I should get into this business and just take the money and everytime a customer has a problem I just get them a phone number to call and pass the buck!
As for the swearing, sometimes it is the only way to get their attention.

Me I have always bought everything on a credit card, if they don't want to help me resolve a problem.
Fine just contact the card company and disute payment, never had to do more than just suggest I was going to do this. It's amasing how fast they can fix stuff when they aren't getting paid anything.
The card company isn't going to hold back payment to the "manufacture"!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Arfboy
Racer

I've been on both sides of the issue, as a customer and as a vendor. I don't think that Tbyrne has been wrong up until now.

His policies are noted on his website and should have been read beforehand. If you had a problem with the return policy (i.e. dealing directly with the manufacturer for warranty issues), then you should not have purchased from him to begin with. Just because you "feel they should take care of the problem" doesn't mean that they actually should. You accepted their policies by choosing to purchase from them and should have AT LEAST made a minimal effort to contact the manufacturer.

They did a little more than what they were obligated to by contacting the manufacturer for you and making an offer for the cost of the fix. $100 for a few bolts is more than generous. All this talk about spending more money on getting the hood to fit properly is still speculation at this point. IF that's an issue later on, then that should be dealt with accordingly, later on.

Most people seem to be looking at the vendor with a critical eye and overlooking the actions/choices that the customer made. I might see this differently if he hadn't been rude with customer service and had tried to allow the manufacturer an opportunity to remedy the problem before public bashing of the vendor.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:57 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Originally Posted by VLBBZ06
I wonder if rk was able to improve the fit of their hood..no matter what I did I could not get mine to fit right....I ended up selling it...I just wasnt happy...approx. 2 yrs ago...
My other concern is this, except for Tbyrne I have not heard from one forum member who states that they have purchased an RK hood that did not cost them an additional $300.00 to $600.00 to fit. And the ones who forked out the money claim that it is still not a perfect fit.
And in order for me to enlarge bolt hole I would also have to redrill the two bottom holes in the hing.
And I do not know much about fiber glass hoods, But I would think that there should be nuts enbeded in the fiberglass, if I were to redrill the hole to a bigger size I would have to retapp also. CORRECT?
I do not think it is as simple as some poeple are trying to make it. that is why the body shops are charging folks $300.00-600.00 dollars.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
RWVH
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbyrne
Ok, I just read this WHOLE thread AGAIN and after doing that it looks like some of you really need to calm down! This has gone from the customer saying that his bolts don't fit inside the holes properly and RK suggesting that he use 4 larger bolts (maybe what, $5. to do this?) to the hood now needing over $500. in work, the motor might be bad and the tranny could fail because of this at some point. Come on, stay on track here!

The bolts don't have to be to much bigger. Just enough to bite. Hinges usually have enough extra room to align the hood properly so they would fit in there. The thing that I'm wondering is why do so many people not have a problem with the bolts fitting? RK Sport says that the holes are checked twice before the hood was sent out. If the bolts that they used worked fine, then why don't these? Could the bolts on this car be a different size? GM is known to change specs once in awhile. Or, could the bolts have been accidently torqued down to much when the hood was test fit? You can't crank these down to much because something will give. Not pointing fingers, just trying to figure this out.

Orange juice and shoes are good examples but they don't apply here. I had a problem with two wheels that were purchased through a vendor a few years ago. Went straight to the manufacturer to take care of the problem. Also, I purchased a TV with a missing remote one time. Same thing, contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a remote. Yes, there are times when a vendor can help more (bad gallon of milk or that shoe issue). They should also be done within the return period. If I remember correctly I believe I heard someone say that it was purchased about 2 months ago? As I said before, the opening page of our site lists - warranty claims would need to be handled directly by the manufacturer. There are proceedures that are followed and we can help the customer and make some calls if needed. That isn't a problem. Frank @ RK Sport would really like to talk to you about this. Yes, you purchased it through us but they are the manufacturer. When it comes to hoods, we see paperwork, they actually see/handle the hood. This helps and is a good reason to speak with them. Nothing against you but there has been more time typing on the forum than would have been into a quick call to Frank to see what he has to say

As for the language, the quote was "You midas well have just called and said f*ck you, we're not taking the hood back". The customer said this a few times after Carol told him that she doesn't use that kind of language and doesn't need to listen to it. Thanks for the apology here.

Last thing, as for the $100.00 "shut up money". A few dollars for bolts and a few extra minutes for the install and then some extra compensation. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't mind that offer if it was given to me. We all know that alot of aftermarket installations don't go perfect. Need to convince some parts to fit when they are designed for the car, something that should take 20 minutes takes an hour and then there are the packages that should have everything and don't. Alot of us have experienced this and will probably continue to.

Tom
Tom,

I have also read the entire thread. We all take pride in our Corvette's. Saying that you should try a larger bolt, just find one that bites. The hood should fit with the correct bolt size !!!!!! It looks to me that RK has quality issues, I don't care how many times they say it was checked. How many people have found that Chevy uses various bolt sizes for the hood ?? Instead of standing behind your product, you are shifting the blame on everyone else.

Notice I said, Your Product! You sold it and should stand behind what you sell. The orange juice and shoes are perfect examples.

Maybe this example will fit. Two weeks ago I bought a jack from a auto store that will fit under the vette and is battery powered. When I got home the flashlight was missing. Took it back to the store. They did not have me call the manufacture to get the missing flashlight. The offered to swap it for another unit. But they didn't have any left. So instead of saying here's a couple of dollars, go see if you can buy one that will fit in the molded case or we called the manufacturer and they insured us that quality control checks that every unit has all the parts. He ordered a new unit gave me back mine and said that they would call when the new one came in and they would swap it out, this way I could use the jack if needed until the other one comes in.

The forum member paid You for the hood !! If these hoods require that you need various bolt sizes and 300.00 - 500.00 additional work to make them fit you should state that in your ad. But then we wouldn't sell many hoods. Its much easier to sell the hood, tell the person to see the manufacture when it doesn't fit, and then tell you that you will have to pay for the shipping if you want it fixed. Or we could offer up 100.00. If I had bought this hood and had these problems, that offer would be an insult.

Why not call a local body shop and have them inspect the hood and see where the problem lies. If he messed it up by overtightening the bolts then he would have to pay for the fix, but if it wasn't right from RK then you should refund his money and then take it up with RK.

I see your add that you post on the forum with sales and discounts. I was under the impression that the forum vendors cared about us and our cars. The way that the after sale service was been conducted will make me skip your adds in the future.

If have have not stayed on track, let me know.

Rick
Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

I don't see this as Tbyrne's problem. He just sells the hoods, he doesn't make them or warranty them.
You go to Wal-mart and buy a movie and the movie sucks... do you complain that walmart sold you a bad movie and they need to fix what's wrong with the movie? No. The company that made the movie is at fault for the movie sucking.
same deal here.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Ok, I just read this WHOLE thread AGAIN and after doing that it looks like some of you really need to calm down! This has gone from the customer saying that his bolts don't fit inside the holes properly and RK suggesting that he use 4 larger bolts (maybe what, $5. to do this?) to the hood now needing over $500. in work, the motor might be bad and the tranny could fail because of this at some point. Come on, stay on track here!

The bolts don't have to be to much bigger. Just enough to bite. Hinges usually have enough extra room to align the hood properly so they would fit in there. The thing that I'm wondering is why do so many people not have a problem with the bolts fitting? RK Sport says that the holes are checked twice before the hood was sent out. If the bolts that they used worked fine, then why don't these? Could the bolts on this car be a different size? GM is known to change specs once in awhile. Or, could the bolts have been accidently torqued down to much when the hood was test fit? You can't crank these down to much because something will give. Not pointing fingers, just trying to figure this out.

Orange juice and shoes are good examples but they don't apply here. I had a problem with two wheels that were purchased through a vendor a few years ago. Went straight to the manufacturer to take care of the problem. Also, I purchased a TV with a missing remote one time. Same thing, contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a remote. Yes, there are times when a vendor can help more (bad gallon of milk or that shoe issue). They should also be done within the return period. If I remember correctly I believe I heard someone say that it was purchased about 2 months ago? As I said before, the opening page of our site lists - warranty claims would need to be handled directly by the manufacturer. There are proceedures that are followed and we can help the customer and make some calls if needed. That isn't a problem. Frank @ RK Sport would really like to talk to you about this. Yes, you purchased it through us but they are the manufacturer. When it comes to hoods, we see paperwork, they actually see/handle the hood. This helps and is a good reason to speak with them. Nothing against you but there has been more time typing on the forum than would have been into a quick call to Frank to see what he has to say

As for the language, the quote was "You midas well have just called and said f*ck you, we're not taking the hood back". The customer said this a few times after Carol told him that she doesn't use that kind of language and doesn't need to listen to it. Thanks for the apology here.

Last thing, as for the $100.00 "shut up money". A few dollars for bolts and a few extra minutes for the install and then some extra compensation. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't mind that offer if it was given to me. We all know that alot of aftermarket installations don't go perfect. Need to convince some parts to fit when they are designed for the car, something that should take 20 minutes takes an hour and then there are the packages that should have everything and don't. Alot of us have experienced this and will probably continue to.

Tom
I am willing to redrill and check for a proper fit, If I run into the same problems everyone else has on this thread at this point would you be willing to either foot the bill to the body shop to correct the problem or do the right thing and stand behind the product you are selling and give me a full 100 % refund?

So far I have made three offers.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM
RWVH
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MonteHall
I don't see this as Tbyrne's problem. He just sells the hoods, he doesn't make them or warranty them.
You go to Wal-mart and buy a movie and the movie sucks... do you complain that walmart sold you a bad movie and they need to fix what's wrong with the movie? No. The company that made the movie is at fault for the movie sucking.
same deal here.
Not the same, he is saying that the hood is defective, the bolts do not fit. Its not that it doesn't look good. If you bought the movie from Wal-Mart and it skipped when played in your DVD player, you would take it back to Wal-Mart for replacement or refund, not the manufacture of the movie or DVD.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:28 PM
DRM450
Racer

I chose the RK Sport hood because I liked the way it looked (NOT THE PRICE) had I not been told this hood was one of the "BEST HOODS" fit and finish, I could of went a different way or atleast realized I would have to pay my body shop additional money. That being said the RK Sport hood is not the cheapest hood to purchase/paint/install.

JMO
Joe Blass
Old 06-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Jackofalltrades-03
Advanced

Originally Posted by DBFCO2
I am willing to redrill and check for a proper fit, If I run into the same problems everyone else has on this thread at this point would you be willing to either foot the bill to the body shop to correct the problem or do the right thing and stand behind the product you are selling and give me a full 100 % refund?

So far I have made three offers.
I've read this whole thread and find the vendors attitude appalling if the situation is as stated.

But if you are going to try to drill out your hinges, might I suggest buying a Thread-sert kit for the hood first. Unlike a helicoil, a thread- sert has a body not just a wound coil. It would let you use the proper size bolt and not mess up you car in the process......FWIW
Old 06-24-2006, 01:42 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Originally Posted by Chomp
I've read this whole thread and find the vendors attitude appalling if the situation is as stated.

But if you are going to try to drill out your hinges, might I suggest buying a Thread-sert kit for the hood first. Unlike a helicoil, a thread- sert has a body not just a wound coil. It would let you use the proper size bolt and not mess up you car in the process......FWIW
Thanks for the advise, Would this insert hold the hood properly and for how long? This is a concern of mine If I were to redrill is this going to be as stong and will it hold up. And I would hate to go though all this just to find out the hood does not fit properly.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:45 PM
THE BLACK WIDOW
Pro

same deal here.
Sorry.....but this post is totally off base. That is like saying I bought bullet exhaust for my car and now I think it is too loud and I shouldn't blame the vendor.!! You are stating your opinion about a product you bought when it is a FACT not opinion as to whether the hood fits properly or not. Your post does not apply to the situation at hand.. Not even close!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:12 PM
tbyrne
Race Director

Location: Westport, MA. www.tbyrnemotorsports.com - 1-877-4-TBYRNE
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

These posts really do sum it up pretty good -

Originally Posted by Arfboy
I've been on both sides of the issue, as a customer and as a vendor. I don't think that Tbyrne has been wrong up until now.

His policies are noted on his website and should have been read beforehand. If you had a problem with the return policy (i.e. dealing directly with the manufacturer for warranty issues), then you should not have purchased from him to begin with. Just because you "feel they should take care of the problem" doesn't mean that they actually should. You accepted their policies by choosing to purchase from them and should have AT LEAST made a minimal effort to contact the manufacturer.

They did a little more than what they were obligated to by contacting the manufacturer for you and making an offer for the cost of the fix. $100 for a few bolts is more than generous. All this talk about spending more money on getting the hood to fit properly is still speculation at this point. IF that's an issue later on, then that should be dealt with accordingly, later on.

Most people seem to be looking at the vendor with a critical eye and overlooking the actions/choices that the customer made. I might see this differently if he hadn't been rude with customer service and had tried to allow the manufacturer an opportunity to remedy the problem before public bashing of the vendor.
same deal here.
Yes, we sell the product but like it or not, we do not warranty the product. Anyone can use any situation they want here but the manufacturer is the company that needs to be contacted to handle the warranty. If we produced a product in house that hand a TBYRNE name on it then we would stand behind it. There are times when we will have extensive problems with a manufacturer's quality. If the situation goes on for to long and things just aren't right then we'll stop carrying them. The yellow car pictured below, that is my car and that is an RK Sport hood. No problems at all. Not just saying this because of the situation but the body shop said it was one of the better aftermarket hoods that they have painted. Throughout the years I've seen aftermarket hoods that had quality all over the board.

Problem is when one person's option doesn't match someone elses then that person is now considered a loser, d*ckwad and every other negative term that can be thought of. We're all seeing those names fly around in this thread before some people don't agree with others. Yeah, some might not want to buy from us because we're not warranting the hood. You have a right to shop elsewhere if you want.

Any other discussion in this thread over the weekend is just going to be that... discussion, opinions ect... Customer needs to give RK Sport a call on Monday, run this by Frank, see what he says and then go from there. The $100.00 offer through us will still stand though. We don't need to do it but I guess it can be considered "good will".
Old 06-24-2006, 02:27 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Yes, we sell the product but like it or not, we do not warranty the product. Anyone can use any situation they want here but the manufacturer is the company that needs to be contacted to handle the warranty. If we produced a product in house that hand a TBYRNE name on it then we would stand behind it. There are times when we will have extensive problems with a manufacturer's quality. If the situation goes on for to long and things just aren't right then we'll stop carrying them. The yellow car pictured below, that is my car and that is an RK Sport hood. No problems at all. Not just saying this because of the situation but the body shop said it was one of the better aftermarket hoods that they have painted. Throughout the years I've seen aftermarket hoods that had quality all over the board.

Problem is when one person's option doesn't match someone elses then that person is now considered a loser, d*ckwad and every other negative term that can be thought of. We're all seeing those names fly around in this thread before some people don't agree with others. Yeah, some might not want to buy from us because we're not warranting the hood. You have a right to shop elsewhere if you want.

Any other discussion in this thread over the weekend is just going to be that... discussion, opinions ect... Customer needs to give RK Sport a call on Monday, run this by Frank, see what he says and then go from there. The $100.00 offer through us will still stand though. We don't need to do it but I guess it can be considered "good will".
Customer needs to give RK sport a call
Tbyrne took my credit card number and gave me a deleivery date.
I do not even know Frank. Frank does not need me to put food on his table I am only one person RK sport NEEDS the support of its vendors to pay its and stay alive. So all Tbyrne needs to do put pressure on them ( only if they TBYRNE value's there customers )
Old 06-24-2006, 02:45 PM
DBFCO2
Racer

Ok $100.00 good will or pay off
What shop can I take my car to so they can remove my hood, drill out my the hinges, drill and retap Rk hood, check for fit and then reinstall my hood. for $100.00 dollars.
I feel I have bent over backwards to try and solve this problem.
If this is the way you treat your customers you will need that $100.00 before I will.

Get notified of new replies

To Tbyrne Rk5 Hood :mad:

Old 06-24-2006, 03:17 PM
ronniej
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06

I see alot of complaints here about RK hoods from previous/current owners of RK hoods and their disappointments. Only to look down and see their signature at the bottom with their mod list which most have RK hoods listed. If you're so disappointed, why advertise for them? Why not put "Crappy Fitting RK Hood" in the sig?
Old 06-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Arfboy
Racer

Originally Posted by DBFCO2
Customer needs to give RK sport a call
Tbyrne took my credit card number and gave me a deleivery date.
I do not even know Frank. Frank does not need me to put food on his table I am only one person RK sport NEEDS the support of its vendors to pay its and stay alive. So all Tbyrne needs to do put pressure on them ( only if they TBYRNE value's there customers )
You seem to be missing the point that by choosing to purchase from Tbyrne, you voluntarily accepted his terms of the sale, as noted in his policies - ignorance is not an excuse, so you should have read them and understood them. This is another major problem I have with customers - their impatience in fully reading the terms of the sale and blaming the vendor afterward. You had the option to purchase elsewhere; no one forced you to buy from this vendor if you had a problem with its return policy. Now you regret it after the fact and pass the buck. You question Frank/RK Sport's customer support before you've even allowed him/it the chance to fix the problem. These are the simple facts behind the issue. Why are you choosing to ignore the terms you accepted?

Don't take this to mean that I am totally not understanding of your position. I think it's horrible that you got stuck with a problem on your purchase and I hope you get it worked out with as little cost as possible. However, you should at least TRY to speak with the manufacturer before you ASSUME they don't care about your problems.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

Originally Posted by 1bigdaddy
... That is like saying I bought bullet exhaust for my car and now I think it is too loud and I shouldn't blame the vendor.!!
Actually, that is stupid, Why would you blame the vendor you bought it from? they didn't make it.
Unless you bought it directly from the MFR, which is exactly the case with this hood.
I could see it as Tybrnes problem to fix if he even stocked the hoods. But he does not, he simply tells the MFR that he needs one sent to someone.
He never sees the hood... the manufacturer sends the hoods directly to the buyer, not the vender.
Ultimately, this is a problem with the MFR, not the vendor.

is column lock an issue with the dealer you bought the vette from, or is it an issue with GM, who built the vette?

Maybe the walmart thing is a bad example. but the idea is right.

Quick Reply: Tbyrne Rk5 Hood :mad: