C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Tune - Excellent Results

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:58 PM
cscollis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Tune - Excellent Results

I am extremly happy with the results of my dyno tune today. I was having surging problems at idle and knock upto 6 degrees at wot. After about 5 dyno runs, he suggested tr8 (cooler) plugs because the knock was random. I was running tr6 plugs which were too hot! I am running 12.3 to 1 compression on pump gas and was only getting 14-18 degrees of timing on the first five runs, after the plug change I was getting 20-24.

Well after the plug change and a few adjustments the knock was gone and my air fuel was 12.5 to 1. I went from 369 to 379 rwhp with the fuel change and the line was as sraight as a ruler. The first pulls with knock were jagged as a doctors sig.

He also fixed my idle and I tested the idle results sitting at stop lights. No surging at all!

Overall a great service and very reasonable price! Probably cost him some money though, when my motor goes i plan buying a iron block 402 from him.

BTW: He had a 400+ cube motor built and tuned by another tuner in the area that told him it dynoed 525rwhp. The guy was there getting his idle fixed. Well RPM put it on the dyno and guess what it pulled, yep 412 rwhp with a fat fuel of 10.5 to 1. After a few changes to the air fuel, it was at 475rwhp.

The shop uses HP Tuners which IMHO is alot better and easier than LS1 edit. The scanner that comes with HPT is a awesome tool!

I have the dynos but dont know how to post them. I cant wait to get back to the track, I expect to pick up 1 mph and lose a .1!
Old 07-10-2005, 06:22 PM
JeremyMSG
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cscollis
I am extremly happy with the results of my dyno tune today. I was having surging problems at idle and knock upto 6 degrees at wot. After about 5 dyno runs, he suggested tr8 (cooler) plugs because the knock was random. I was running tr6 plugs which were too hot! I am running 12.3 to 1 compression on pump gas and was only getting 14-18 degrees of timing on the first five runs, after the plug change I was getting 20-24.

Well after the plug change and a few adjustments the knock was gone and my air fuel was 12.5 to 1. I went from 369 to 379 rwhp with the fuel change and the line was as sraight as a ruler. The first pulls with knock were jagged as a doctors sig.

He also fixed my idle and I tested the idle results sitting at stop lights. No surging at all!

Overall a great service and very reasonable price! Probably cost him some money though, when my motor goes i plan buying a iron block 402 from him.

BTW: He had a 400+ cube motor built and tuned by another tuner in the area that told him it dynoed 525rwhp. The guy was there getting his idle fixed. Well RPM put it on the dyno and guess what it pulled, yep 412 rwhp with a fat fuel of 10.5 to 1. After a few changes to the air fuel, it was at 475rwhp.

The shop uses HP Tuners which IMHO is alot better and easier than LS1 edit. The scanner that comes with HPT is a awesome tool!

I have the dynos but dont know how to post them. I cant wait to get back to the track, I expect to pick up 1 mph and lose a .1!

That is one hell of a CR. Glad you got it all worked out with the knock issues
Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont even know where to start Scott.

First of all, you need to trash those 53cc crappy heads and maybe even put some stock ls6 heads on the car. Running tr8s and low timing on a NA 346 kinda sucks.

You are only trapping 90mph in the 1/8th with a heads/cam car. That should tell you something is off.

Also, I'd like to see a NA car pick up 63rwhp just from the air fuel ratio being too fat.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kumar75150
I dont even know where to start Scott.

First of all, you need to trash those 53cc crappy heads and maybe even put some stock ls6 heads on the car. Running tr8s and low timing on a NA 346 kinda sucks.

You are only trapping 90mph in the 1/8th with a heads/cam car. That should tell you something is off.

Also, I'd like to see a NA car pick up 63rwhp just from the air fuel ratio being too fat.

Get notified of new replies

To RPM Tune - Excellent Results

Quick Reply: RPM Tune - Excellent Results