C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak Checks

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 02:59 AM
gt1racer3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above pictures of the drain tubes are great.
Cleaning them helped but did not stop all the leaking into right side foot well and into the computer there.
This is what helped my car. I took the heater/AC blower out and ran a small vacuum hose up in there as far as possible. I got a lot of leaves out of that area. It seems that it was plugging before it got to the drain tubes. I have not had water on that side since then.
The blower is not that hard to get out.
I also bought silica gel desiccants on E bay and used double stick tape to install them on the back of foot well panel to protect the computer just in case it leaks again.
I plan to clean the drain tubes every oil change and take the blower motor once a year from here on. I hope this helps anyone that still has this problem.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok thread revival. Is that drain tube for the A/C, the 90 degree one behind the head, needed? Could we just pull it off and leave it off? Because my wiring harness is in the way from the top and my long tube headers are in the way from the bottom.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 PM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

It's under that wiring harness where my screwdriver is pointed. I can barely get my fingers on it. I'll most likely be able to get it off but I doubt I'll be able to get it back on. Also all other drain tubes under the cowl. Water dumped out onto my right foot while in a right hand turn and my fan blower was rusted up from condensation so I know it's this drain that I need to remove and clean out or cut.

Last edited by JESSTERLSX; 06-20-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JESSTERLSX

It's under that wiring harness where my screwdriver is pointed. I can barely get my fingers on it. I'll most likely be able to get it off but I doubt I'll be able to get it back on. Also all other drain tubes under the cowl. Water dumped out onto my right foot while in a right hand turn and my fan blower was rusted up from condensation so I know it's this drain that I need to remove and clean out or cut.

If you outright remove it, the drain will dump a LOT of cold air into the engine compartment.. Been there done that, reinstalled the drain tube. The tube lets the water out but controls how much cold air you loose

Bill
The following users liked this post:
JESSTERLSX (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:07 AM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
If you outright remove it, the drain will dump a LOT of cold air into the engine compartment.. Been there done that, reinstalled the drain tube. The tube lets the water out but controls how much cold air you loose

Bill
Didnt think of that. I didnt take it off. Only way for me to do so and reliably get it back on would be to pull my header. Not doing that for this little piece of **** rubber nipple. I got under the car with a very long knife and sliced a + in the bottom end and twisted the knife to widen it a bit. Then used a long screwdriver to tap it and scrape the junk out of it. Previous owner lived on a dirt road so there was all kinds of caked up dirt in there. Should be good to go now. I think it was really stupid to not have an adequate drain. Completely rusted my blower fan solid which blew the relay. So I'm replacing those and I pulled my carpet when my feet got soaked from it dumping out of the foot vent. Also that fan blow relay is also a PIA! It doesn't need 3 screws, one of them being behind the dash plastic. My shoulders are too broad to be under that dash fighting a screw that's buried up in there! Lmao!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Just a note of caution.. With all that water damage and evidence of water in the passengers foot well, your BCM did get wet. NOT GOOD.. I strongly recommend disconnecting the battery, remove the BCM, OPEN the metal box, remove the board and inspect the circuit board and components for corrosion (white deposits). If you have any, remove with a nylon brush and alcohol! Blow dry and you should be good.

Bill
Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 AM
JESSTERLSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Just a note of caution.. With all that water damage and evidence of water in the passengers foot well, your BCM did get wet. NOT GOOD.. I strongly recommend disconnecting the battery, remove the BCM, OPEN the metal box, remove the board and inspect the circuit board and components for corrosion (white deposits). If you have any, remove with a nylon brush and alcohol! Blow dry and you should be good.

Bill
Definitely a good idea and I will do. I still have the carpet out so that won't be hard to get to. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2019, 10:16 PM
pifo1964
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Strange AC leak?

Hello everyone
After a one-hour trip with the AC on, I noticed that the carpet on the passenger side was wet, not much but enough to notice it with the naked eye. So I assumed that the drain tube on the pasenger's firewall was clogged and that is why the condensation water was dripping into the car, but I looked underneath and abundant water was falling from the passenger side, so I supposed the small tube was not clogged.
Then I took out the panel under the glove compartment and saw that the water was falling from the rubber tube that comes out of the blower motor.
Is this because the tube is old and dry and does not seal properly or do I have a more serious problem?
The AC cools very well and all the components of the HVAC work as it should.
Thank you!!
Old 07-23-2023, 09:54 AM
Davcruz
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 153 Posts

Very helpful info in this thread, particularly for finding the AC drain line on the firewall! Thank you @Bill Curlee
Old 07-23-2023, 09:56 AM
Davcruz
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by pifo1964
Hello everyone
After a one-hour trip with the AC on, I noticed that the carpet on the passenger side was wet, not much but enough to notice it with the naked eye. So I assumed that the drain tube on the pasenger's firewall was clogged and that is why the condensation water was dripping into the car, but I looked underneath and abundant water was falling from the passenger side, so I supposed the small tube was not clogged.
Then I took out the panel under the glove compartment and saw that the water was falling from the rubber tube that comes out of the blower motor.
Is this because the tube is old and dry and does not seal properly or do I have a more serious problem?
The AC cools very well and all the components of the HVAC work as it should.
Thank you!!
Old post I know, but the reason the water is coming from that tube (fan motor cooling tube), is due to excessive condensation buildup above and it is leaking from that point, surely the AC drain on the firewall is clogged up.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others and save a few BCM units!
Old 07-23-2023, 05:22 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If the HVAC Air Box Condensate Drain tube on the fire wall clogs up, ALL the AC Evaporator condensate will build up inside the air box. Sometimes if you make a sharp left or right turn, you can hear it slosh around inside the air box. If it goes on long enough, it will flood into the HVAC fan motor vent hose and out of that black 1/2" rubber tube and into the fan motor. That condensate drips DIRECTLY ON TO THE BCM, and then under your carpet to make some nice stinky mold. mildew smells! The excess moisture in the car will damage electronics.

Another place that I have see a lot of water build up is inside the bottoms of the doors. The doors have slotted drains at the bottom of the doors. Make sure that they are clean.

The rear hatch/trunk lip also has drains in each corner. (front and rear) I run a garden hose into the hatch lip area and check to see that all the drains allow the water flow out of the hatch lip area. The two front drains go under the body panels and into the door sill areas If they are clogged, When you park your car nose down on a slope, water will build up in the hatch lip area and into the hatch / trunk area. Frequently check the rear hatch comparts for any water that may be leaking into the hatch. NOTE 1 If you ever see excessive moisture build up on the rear hatch/trunk window, YOU HAVE A LEAK and a build up of water somewhere inside the vehicle! NOTE 2 That moisture will run off the window and into the rear hatch/trunk cubby holes /stowage areas!

YES!! I'm still finding people with Wiper motor failures because they have zero idea that there are THREE UDDER DRAINS in the drivers side cowl area. If they don't drain, your wiper motor will drown in a pool of crap water. READ $$$$$$$$$$$.

Be save and keep driving!

Bill

Quick Reply: Leak Checks