C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear 02 sensors on long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
MYRagtop
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear 02 sensors on long tube headers

When installing long tube headers, how are the rear 02 sensors installed? Is it passenger side to passenger side and drivers side to drivers side or are they criscrossed.

I'm positive they were criscrossed when I took the H pipe off, but have read that they should go left to left and right to right, or does it really matter.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

They are not crossed, they just look that way.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
RonC
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Rear O2 Sensors

Just put headers and high flow cats on the rear sensor are crossed. The drivers side wiring goes to the passenger side sensor and the passenger side wire goes to the drivers sensor.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 610 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

On our 2004 it was:

Front passenger side sensor wire goes to passenger side located front wire plug
Front driver side sensor wire goes to driver side located front wire plug

Rear passenger side sensor wire goes to driver side located rear wire plug
Rear driver side sensor wire goes to passenger side located rear wire plug

I just traced wires before i uninstalled anything and marked plugs w/ tape labels saying whihc O2 sensor ran to em.

The again, since we have 04 w/ the higher wattage sensors and am running all 4 we didn't have to move/swap positions of any; they all stayed in same position.

All is well

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 05-03-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MYRagtop
I'm positive they were criscrossed when I took the H pipe off, but have read that they should go left to left and right to right, or does it really matter.
The only time you need to run left to left and right to right is when you are installing a set of rear sensors to be used as front sensors and so are connecting to the front O2 harness positions. Otherwise, connect them the same way you found them.

The factory routing of the rear O2 sensors and the attachment of the sensor to the harness at the opposite side of the car may seem odd at first glance, but it's done so that the sensor cable only has to make one right angle turn (rather than a 180 and another 90 to route up the same side.) The fronts don't have this issue and attach as you would expect. Both front and rear however do follow the simplest physical route.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by ToplessTexan
The only time you need to run left to left and right to right is when you are installing a set of rear sensors to be used as front sensors and so are connecting to the front O2 harness positions. Otherwise, connect them the same way you found them.

The factory routing of the rear O2 sensors and the attachment of the sensor to the harness at the opposite side of the car may seem odd at first glance, but it's done so that the sensor cable only has to make one right angle turn (rather than a 180 and another 90 to route up the same side.) The fronts don't have this issue and attach as you would expect. Both front and rear however do follow the simplest physical route.
Sorry if I caused any confusion, I'm only running two sensors, that's why mine are not crossed.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:51 AM
eb02z06
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

It's the rears that are causing all the confusion-the fronts obviously go left to left and right to right-but i guess the rears are crossed according to everyone here.

Get notified of new replies

To rear 02 sensors on long tube headers

Quick Reply: rear 02 sensors on long tube headers